What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's it like?

Dgamble

Well Known Member
I wrote a blog post about what it's like to build an airplane, or at least what it has been like for me. I sent it off to the editors of Sport Aviation to see if they'd like to print it, but got no reply. I just thought I'd go ahead and share it here. It's a bit wordy for a single post, so here's a teaser:

You get a lot of questions from people that find out that you are building an airplane.

Some become routine.

Some test your ability to suppress an eye roll.

Examples of those are "When will it be done?" and "A real airplane? And you're going to actually fly in it??"

After awhile you build up a library of ready answers for the most common ones along with the ability to spit out a wordy non-answer when the real answer would require too much time and effort. You know, much like a politician.

The hardest question of all, though, is, "What's it like? What is building an airplane like?"

It's hard to answer because there is no simple, concise response that can truly convey what the experience is like. Most people have never tackled a project that requires the level of commitment, persistence, tenacity, frustration, elation, perspiration, dedication, and time that comes with the job of building an airplane. There are parallels that can help people to understand, of course, but few of those result in a day when you are going to trust your very life to the end product. It is that aspect, I believe, that erects an insurmountable communication barrier between those that have and those that haven't. It is also why one of the more routine questions, albeit almost always a rhetorical one, is "Are you crazy??"

The rest is here: http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2012/12/whats-it-like.html

Last edited:
Awesome article Dave! Too bad Sport Aviation missed out publishing something really relevant..

Looking forward to a ride someday!

Thanks, Dave, for the time and effort you put into your blog. It's been an inspiration to me since I started my build.

Jerre

Dave,

People asked me the same questions all through my project. To the inevitable "When's it going to be done?" I would answer "Saturday". (Of course, but not THIS Saturday.) "Are you going to fly it?". Well certainly...why else would I be spending all this time, effort, and money just to let somebody else have all the fun?

My project took longer than most - more than 11 years. The upside is that I'm still married to the same woman I started out with. Many's the time I wanted to chuck it all and buy a spamcan (or, more responsibly...pay off my bills). But I stuck to it, partly out of the knowledge that my fellow EAA-ers might think less of me if I abandoned the project, and partly out of pure stubbornness and the desire to see it all the way through. It flew in August of 2011, and I couldn't have been happier if it had only taken me a year to build.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
St. Louis, MO

Hi Dave,

Glad to see that you are still putting pen to paper. My appreciation of your writing goes back to 2007 when you wrote of your experience at your first formation clinic. Everything you said in that article rings true today so I have always posted a link to the article in the forum group for every formation clinic since. And I did so again just last night. The North Carolina formation clinic will be held 17-19 May. In the next few days I'll be posting information for those who wish to attend. I hope you will join us.

Link to Dave's formation clinic article.

Back