- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Default Rusty Pilot Confessions

I felt the need to share my recent experiences of trying to get back current after 24 years of not flying.
This came about since I had just received an AW for my RV 12 and needed to fly it of course. My gut feelings were telling me that you don't "forget" how to fly, so just crank her up and go be a test pilot! Another little voice inside said, hey look at all the old guys that built a plane then had bad experiences trying to fly it. I am lucky, there are several RV12 owners, CFI people, that have a LODA, letter of deviation authority, so they can instruct in their experimental. One was only 500 miles or so away (Jetguy) and I had received good reports from some friends who had used him, so I scheduled myself.
I am so glad I did that. Maybe you don't actually forget how to fly, but I can attest that you can sure get REALLY RUSTY! I could not believe how bad I had become, and had I decided to just go fly it, it would have ended badly for sure.. After 6 hours of dual in an RV12, I had to interrupt for weather and scheduling, and I am STILL not ready to fly this little simple plane by myself. With some more hours, hopefully I will get back my skills as a pilot. If you THINK you are ready, don't chance it, go get some dual and see if you really are.
RV12 built and flying
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I felt the need to share my recent experiences of trying to get back current after 24 years of not flying.
This came about since I had just received an AW for my RV 12 and needed to fly it of course. My gut feelings were telling me that you don't "forget" how to fly, so just crank her up and go be a test pilot! Another little voice inside said, hey look at all the old guys that built a plane then had bad experiences trying to fly it. I am lucky, there are several RV12 owners, CFI people, that have a LODA, letter of deviation authority, so they can instruct in their experimental. One was only 500 miles or so away (Jetguy) and I had received good reports from some friends who had used him, so I scheduled myself.
I am so glad I did that. Maybe you don't actually forget how to fly, but I can attest that you can sure get REALLY RUSTY! I could not believe how bad I had become, and had I decided to just go fly it, it would have ended badly for sure.. After 6 hours of dual in an RV12, I had to interrupt for weather and scheduling, and I am STILL not ready to fly this little simple plane by myself. With some more hours, hopefully I will get back my skills as a pilot. If you THINK you are ready, don't chance it, go get some dual and see if you really are.
Sounds like you needed a flight review anyway to make you legal.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 03-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Congratulations

You have a lot of credentials in your signature but one needs to be added.
All around smart guy.
You made a wise decision. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service.
BTW, I was born and raised in Brownsville. Spent many days in La Feria.
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 03-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Of course I did need it, but those are often given by pencil, and remember, you cannot flunk or pass one no matter how bad you are. I should have warned against doing an "easy" one also, just to make yourself feel good since you are "legal". Another thing, my insurance company only required one hour of dual, boy THAT would have been a mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Sounds like you needed a flight review anyway to make you legal.
RV12 built and flying
Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Of course I did need it, but those are often given by pencil, and remember, you cannot flunk or pass one no matter how bad you are. I should have warned against doing an "easy" one also, just to make yourself feel good since you are "legal". Another thing, my insurance company only required one hour of dual, boy THAT would have been a mistake!
Given by pencil? I hope not. You are correct that there is no "fail" sign off. But the cfi should not sign off a "pass" unless or until he is satisfied that you meet minimum standards. Don't forget a minimum of one hour ground review, too.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 PM

When flight reviews first came on the scene, I think that some CFIs might have "pencil-whipped" a few for friends that they regularly flew with.

But I think in today's world of class "B" airspace, transponders, etc. a CFI would have to be almost an idiot to do a "Parker P51" sign off on anything.

And if you don't recognize the "Parker P51" sign off, you are quite young!
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 AM

Agree totally with the extra time. Bought a flying RV-6, that is located in California, getting some tail dragger dual, before trying to fly it back to home here in Alaska.

So far after a 20-year layoff, straight and level was a challenge, for some reason 3-pointers were easy, not so much the wheel landings. Still looking to get some cross-wind TO/Lnd next.

Rusty in many areas, skill is very rusty, thought process is rusty as well as keeping up with the airplane. Knowledge part is going to take more than an hour of ground. Creating a list of questions to sit down with the CFI and go over, plus what ever he has planned.
UTC -09:00 Alaska

Last edited by mbauer : 03-05-2017 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
When flight reviews first came on the scene, I think that some CFIs might have "pencil-whipped" a few for friends that they regularly flew with.

But I think in today's world of class "B" airspace, transponders, etc. a CFI would have to be almost an idiot to do a "Parker P51" sign off on anything.

And if you don't recognize the "Parker P51" sign off, you are quite young!

The Young Guys can read all about it.
3,500+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 AM

You said it correctly! I guess I was too embarrassed to admit that even straight and level was a challenge! Landings are my greatest challenge, and that used to be my favorite part of flying! Yeah we are talking about landings in an RV12 being a challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Agree totally with the extra time. Bought a flying RV-6, that is located in California, getting some tail dragger dual, before trying to fly it back to home here in Alaska.

So far after a 20-year layoff, straight and level was a challenge, for some reason 3-pointers were easy, not so much the wheel landings. Still looking to get some cross-wind TO/Lnd next.

Rusty in many areas, skill is very rusty, thought process is rusty as well as keeping up with the airplane. Knowledge part is going to take more than an hour of ground. Creating a list of questions to sit down with the CFI and go over, plus what ever he has planned.
RV12 built and flying
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 AM

After more than a decade of inactivity, I was surprised at how rusty my mind was, even after doing the King recurrency training syllabus. Flying the airplane wasn't too bad... but everything else seemed so foreign. Getting recurrent in a new state (MI instead of CA) and learning Foreflight and modern radio navigation made me feel like I was starting from scratch... or maybe that I should start from scratch. Got my medical and BFR no problem... but I hardly feel like a current pilot at this point. Now that I'm building, that will take most of the time and money... but I will at least seek out some tailwheel recurrency this year. Never want to get that rusty again.
RV-8 #83507 - Currently in Phase 1
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?