What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do I need to consider when ordering a prop?

Robski

Hi all,

I'll be honest and up front: I don't want to have to read loads of other threads as I'm in a hurry so I'll ask all the questions here and hope to be told "the answer".

Picture the scene...
I've already got an RV6 fitted with an older narrow deck O-320 (160HP). Flies quite nicely, well built, appallingly finished (paint, panel fit-out, instruments etc). She's improving all the time as I work through her. It's much easier to work on something you love than to try to love something you have to work on!

She has a Warnke prop which I think may have the beginnings of a delamination problem at one tip. :(
Any idea if this can be fixed? I'm guessing probably not, and I'm not sure I'd trust it if it was.

I'm considering an aluminium Sensenich prop, ordered from Van's. I know I need to check the bolt size, spacer length (aircraft was built in 1994) and pick the right pitch (80" according to the Van's web site).
Anything else I need to take into account?

What options for a spinner are out there? Do I have to order up, cut and fashion, then paint and fit, a fibreglass spinner from Vans? Are there any 'ready made', maybe metal, options.
Where would I find what length prop bolts I'm likely to require for a selected combination so I can order them up to arrive about the same time?

Hope you don't all take me for a lazy so-and-so. I just want to keep flying with as little interruption as possible. Builders get the chance to think about these things for months or years in advance - I want/need it all in a couple of days!

Sensenich prop comes with the spacer and bolts.. all that is included. Length of bolts will depend on which spacer you choose. Also, they (Sensenich) sells metal spinner kits (ready to bolt on), for a very reasonable price. You can get more details on their website about that.. Vans does not sell those.. so you'd have to order from Sensenich direct.

Ed Zercher at Sensenich is a great person to talk to (or email) and he has been very helpful in figuring out what's needed etc..

Don't know about Warneke, but I do know that Prince would re-finish one of their props for a fraction of the cost of a new prop.

Properly fixed, a repaired prop is just as good as new.

The restrictions on the sensenich will make a 6 impractical for acro work, they have a VERY SERIOUS vibration issue above 2600 RPM, and easy rpm to bust in agressive maneuvering....a CATO would be a more direct replacement in terms of weight/performance to the Warneke.

Forgot to mention I'm not in the US - I'm in England.

Thanks for all the information.

I suppose the first thing is to carefully sand the paint off the tips of the prop and look at the state of the laminations underneath. The Warnke has sixty something laminations - if some of them have decided to separate then I think it'll be game over for the prop.

Limitations for Aeros for an ally prop isn't an issue as the authorities in the UK put such restrictions on RV 6s and 7s that it's not worth the effort.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back