What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Stby Alt.

Oshkosh 2011 was a great trip. Among the many interesting aviation related item I learned about, the one that caught my attention the most was a new standby alternator from Plane Power.
xc0meg.jpg
[/IMG]
This vacuum pump pad mounted unit has several features that I have not seen accomplished yet. Called ?Fl y S.A.F.E.? (Supplemental Alternator For Emergencies), this unit is easy to install, internally regulated and most importantly of all has 30 amps of output above 1800 rpm. Our RV-10 is an all electric airplane and the thought a backup system is a real confidence builder when flying IFR.
2a7a0wp.jpg
[/IMG]
The recent install was quick with the only delay due to a custom made switch that will control both the primary and now the standby alternators. We have confirmed the operation of the stby unit with a ground run and it put out 30 amps at 13.4 volts.
The space it fills at the back of the Lycoming is snug, but since we have an electronic mag in the place of the right mag, there is adequate room. The space to the firewall is enough to pull the field plug if required.

So who is Plane Power anyway? We have one of their primary alternators on our RV-10 but never took the time to research the company. Here are some basic one liners:
? Began operation in 2004 and family owned
? They have 10,000 + units in operation
? Design based on the most recent technology but manufactured by Plane Power for aircraft use
? Employees are GA pilots who own/fly their own aircraft
? Plane Power supplies the alternator for the Cessna Skycatcher and the new Lycoming O-233 LSA engine
All this and they are right here in the DFW area at the Grandbury Airport! I have been very impressed with the customer service to date and plan on giving their equipment a lot of use. What is the pricepoint? Under $600.00 and that INCLUDES the (internal) voltage regulator!
Chuck Wilson
Hotel Whiskey Aviation LLC
RV-10 N10HW
RV-4 N62CW

Where did you purchase your Plane Power Standby alternator? The only dealer that I have found on the internet that advertises this alternator is Aircraft Spruce.
Thanks,
Hobby Stevens

Back