-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:46 AM

Thanks Chad. I think you and I last bought it during a sale that was running in the fall. Unfortunately I haven't seen that sale running again and the guy at the store said he's never been able to predict when stuff will be on sale. If anyone hears that Napa has a sale going, by all means post the news--it's definitely worth buying then!

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM

absolutely!! i will tell if i hear of it...
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:14 PM

Aircraft spruce carries Zinc Chromate for a touch over $6 a can, I think thats what I'll use. It's very recognizable for most A&P's and it's easy to use and dries almost instantly in a warm climate. I plan on priming only non-alclad parts and perhaps the seams, we'll see.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/zinc.php
Old 03-19-2006, 06:35 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxuser
Aircraft spruce carries Zinc Chromate for a touch over $6 a can, I think thats what I'll use. It's very recognizable for most A&P's and it's easy to use and dries almost instantly in a warm climate. I plan on priming only non-alclad parts and perhaps the seams, we'll see.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/zinc.php

When I decided on my rattle can primer I tested several different types. If I recall correclty, the stuff from ACS was not self etching, and I could scratch it off with a fingernail. I hope I am remembering this incorrectly, but you might want to test before you buy a case!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight
When I decided on my rattle can primer I tested several different types. If I recall correclty, the stuff from ACS was not self etching, and I could scratch it off with a fingernail. I hope I am remembering this incorrectly, but you might want to test before you buy a case!

Paul
I believe you're correct, Paul. I got my chromate from Redden Marine Supply. It's still Tempo, just the self-etching variety. Nice stuff, designed for below waterline use.

Problem is that you CAN scratch it off with a fingernail, even the self etching stuff, until it's dried for about a week. Bummer....that's why I don't use it anymore. I let a test piece sit around for about a week, and the stuff is tough as nails when it's fully hardened but who the heck wants to wait a week to rivet?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Buy a LOT of 988

I've been using Sherwin Williams 988 on my mating surfaces. Only for small areas (ribs, spars, etc.) do I prime the whole thing. Mine is a QB, so there's a lot of it that I'm not priming at all, because it's already put together.

My advice is to buy a LOT of rattle cans. I've used about 16 so far, and I've done:

Empennage
Seats
Rudder
Ailerons & Flaps (I'm painting the rear spar, aileron gap seal, flap brace, etc. where water might pool)
Pushrods, inside and out

The cans don't go very far, at least not if you do two coats.
RV-7 Slider QB
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Ok, I'll bite.

The future N941WR was primed, after alumini prepping and alodining, with SEM Self Etching Primer.

The stuff seems to work well, but then again, my -9 is still in my hermetically sealed basement.

It was recommended to me by another RV builder/flier and he is still happy with the results.

One thing I really like about using the spray cans is that clean up is VERY easy. Just put the can back on the shelf.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-04-2006, 06:19 PM

I just started using the SEM rattle cans as well. I like it. However, I don't acid etch and alodine any more. A couple of years ago at Sun n Fun, Tom Greene told me that was redundant. I just clean the surface, scuff with a Scotchbrite pad, clean it again, clean it again, and then hit it with the SEM. It dries very quickly and seems very durable. And, as said before, clean up is a breeze! Comes in a variety of colors ,too.

Does anyone know how to safely discard spent alodine??
Warner Robins, GA
Phase I complete
Old 04-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Dupont in a rattle can

Relative new comer and aimed to catch the market is the offering from Dupont. I get this from auto refinishing store.
The primer is A 4115-S, comes in green and grey. I like it better than the Sherwin williams product ( which is smme as the NAPA) and the SEM.
I have tried to attach a pic.
EAA # 706863. Chapter 150.
Exempt, but donated Jan 2018
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen
sorry steve, i forgot about this until i went to pick up another case of six cans today. my last purchase of six was $25.72...boy was i in for a suprise today!!! $49.56!!! i don't know what happened between november and today, but it's up to $7.60/can before tax.

Just picked up 2 boxes of NAPA 7220 self etching primer. Each box was approx $26. Got 2 because I saw the post above and figure maybe they gave me and wrong price.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.