What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POH printing / binding recomendations ?

humptybump

Well Known Member
I am updating the POH for my aircraft. The original one had some inconsistencies and now that the panel update is nearing completion, there are new procedures (both standard ops and emergency) for the electronics.

I have the POH content written. I am looking for recommendations from others on what they did for their final format - printing, binding, lamination, covers, etc.

POH Binder

I used a Day Runner 3 ring binder. The pages measured 8.5 x 5.5. Inside the front cover are four credit card size pockets for your EAA, AOPA, Repairmans Cert and Pilot Cert. Behind that is a flap to hold a blank NASA Letter with addressed stamped envelope. The half inch binder seems to be just the right size for easy reference and a perfect fit for the seat back pocket. It's imitation leather and holding up well.

Take it to Kinko's/Fedex. They have numerous options. I had mine trimmed, punched for a plastic spline, clear covers put on, etc. Looked very professional.

Just make sure you get the format (width, height, headers, footers, page numbers, etc) all set before you print it. I did all mine in MS Word.

Good Evening...if you have an iPad running Foreflight, save your POH in PDF, email to yourself, open the email on your iPad and double tap the attached PDF file. Choose the option which states "open in ForeFlight". The POH will be saved in the documents section of Foreflight and can be updated anytime you like by repeating the above procedure. If you do not have an iPad then please disregard everything after good evening.

Kinkos or FedEx are good suggestions ... if there was one within 90 miles of me :(

Glen, hop over to KOFP in the 8, I'll take you to Kinkos or FedEx. Then we can go fly my 9 so yo can appreciate how stable it is.

Don

Don - outstanding solution :)

As for using an iPad for the POH, I want my ARROW be permenant in the aircraft (even if I use electronic versions in practice).

Print on plastic card stock

Want to really make it look professional. Google "plastic card printing"

Print it out on 20 mil pastic card stock, put a couple holes at the top for the rings and you have a durable and professional product.

Synthetic paper

I found another possible solution. Synthetic paper.

Feeds thru laser printer described as much more durable. Never used this stuff but described as best suited for checklists maps etc.

Back