What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stall warning or traffic alerts: Which offers the best safety benefit?

However how many aircraft (that are typically any factor to GA), as a percentage, are built and flown these days with no xponder or with it turned off?

I am guessing that percentage is pretty low.

Perhaps a quarter of them, based on what I see (or sometimes don't see) with my Zaon device.

I have had to ask pilots to turn them on, when I could hear them reporting their position but they didn't show up. After the requst, they do.

Dave

irresponsible pilots

No system is going to mitigate irresponsible behavior on the part of the pilot. If pilots are going to purposefully turn their xpdr off then those folks will present an unpredictable hazard no matter what systems the government or industry dreams up...

I applaud the FAA's effort to reduce the life-cycle costs of the ATC system through capital improvements, reduction in legacy sustainment and operating expenses while bringing us valuable enhancements. As is the case with any large program there will always be a degree of speculation involved in the cost savings analysis. I will let history be the judge on this aspect of ADS-B. In the interim, ADS-B is already making a positive impact on my individual operational doctrine through increased traffic awareness and near real-time weather, TFR, and NOTAMS. Also, it sure makes playing 1 v 1 with my neighbor more fun as he simply cannot figure out how I always win the first engagement (he doesn't know a thing about ADS-B or TIS-B).

Back