Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 03-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Default GDL 82 Does not work (follow up)

Thanks for your reply. I ran the FAA evaluation of my test flight, and it passed with 0 failures. It seems the Seattle Center could not see my ADSB data either during my flight test, but my unit is working properly.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. This forum is priceless.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwagner55 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I ran the FAA evaluation of my test flight, and it passed with 0 failures. It seems the Seattle Center could not see my ADSB data either during my flight test, but my unit is working properly.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. This forum is priceless.
Concur All! Absolutely priceless! Happy I could assist, and in my time on VAF I?ve received much more than I could ever contribute!

Carl

RV7A - purchased flying 05/2020
RV6A - sold
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 PM

Question GDL-82 WIRING HARNESS

Hello All

I was wondering if anyone here bought the wiring harness offered by AC Spruce (or anyone else )for the GDL-82??

At $75.00 CDN (About $50 USD ) I wonder if it is worth the money vs the time to build one myself??

Thanks

Bruno
Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 PM

Default Power and Discretes Cable, build or buy?

Spent over $50 US to get help and buy specialized crimp tool inserts for hi-density pins. I didn’t mind the expense and time (retiree) required to build up the GDL 82 cable since I enjoy working with wires.

If you want to economize and don’t already have the proper crimp tools I’d guess buying the pre-built cable is the best option.

Your Mileage May Vary!

Carl

RV6A - sold
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-4 View Post
Hello All

I was wondering if anyone here bought the wiring harness offered by AC Spruce (or anyone else )for the GDL-82??

At $75.00 CDN (About $50 USD ) I wonder if it is worth the money vs the time to build one myself??

Thanks

Bruno
Personal opinion, so take it for what you paid for it.

$50 is a steep price to pay to have someone else do something you can do yourself. Of course only you can determine if you can undertake this task and if so, is it worth that to pay someone else to do it for you. However, let me say that it is not a difficult task. Now granted, there is the issue of having the right tools. If you have no intention of crimping wires again in the future then maybe you will have to decide if the price is appropriate compared to what it would take for you to buy the tools and do it yourself. There are basically just a handful of wires you have to install, power, ground, LED lead wire (if used), anonymous switch (if used). That's it for the pinned DSUB connector! There is the coaxial antenna cable for the ADS-B antenna that also would have to be crimped if you built it yourself. None of that is complicated but it does take the tools. If you do not have them, maybe someone you know has them and you can borrow them.

As a builder one acquires quite a collection of tools to do each task. It is one of those things where a person can never have enough tools. I bought my tools whenever I had to perform a new task. I would never really consider selling them even though I am not building at this time. I believe tool purchases really are an investment. There will always come a day when one will need them for the next project down the line.

Ok, my .02.

Live Long and Prosper!
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Wiring Harness

Bruno,

I've bought pre-built harness from Stein (Tru-Trak), Spurce (GRT200), and the local avionics shop (transponer & encoder). All have been top quality. But when I installed my Free Flight Rangr Lite, I built it and it was my first one. Bought the wire and pins from Stein and borrowed the crimpers for the pins and coax. It was fun and I learned a few things. For something more complicated, would likely go with pre-built.

Jim Berry
Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM

Thumbs up

Carl,Steve & Jim

Thanks for the reply.

I already have the tools and wiring so it is a none issue there but I thought there were more wires involved (I didn't have a chance to look at the manual yet ) ..and thought I might save a lot of time

I've done all the wiring on my Skyview installation so it shoudn't be too much trouble doing this one..

Thanks again for your feedbacks.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Aircraft Spruce is showing "Out of Stock" until April 20th on the GDL-82. Nuts.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
Aircraft Spruce is showing "Out of Stock" until April 20th on the GDL-82. Nuts.
FYI
Sent you a PM.

Carl

RV6A - sold
Old 05-29-2018, 01:20 AM

Default Faulting fault light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
While still searching for satellites the Software Tool indicates a Fault. The tool actually displays a Fault count, another fault can be that the transponder is either off or in standby mode. Interesting that these Faults do not turn on the Failure Annuciator light. Therefore it does not appear that the pilot has any information that the Internal GPS has captured enough satellite signals to have a valid position.

The Failure Annunciator light is turned on momentarily during power up. At least the multimeter chirped to indicate a momentary continuity to aircraft ground.
My annunciation light is now hooked up and I?m seeing the same thing. It turns on long enough at startup to confirm the light works, then shuts off, before a valid position is acquired. Also, later when switching the transponder to mode A, that shorts the GDL the pressure altitude and should cause the light to turn on. It doesn?t. I trust we can get a software update, if not a useful one, at least one that will turn it on for a few seconds randomly for the entertainment of passengers.