- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Empennage Kit

I'm getting closer to ordering my empanage kit. Hopefully get it ordered in the next month.

I still need to do a little more research, but I think I've just about decided on going with the 9A over the 14. As much as I like the idea of a bigger plane, I don't think I really need it, and I really like the fuel burn and speed of the 9A.

Anyway, is there anything I need to decide when I order the empanage kit? I have decided I want electric trim, so I will order that, is there any other decisions that I need to make before I order, or shortly into construction?

Thanks,

-Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM

Dan,

Order the kit. You've made the only two decisions I think are needed before starting the empennage; manual or electric trim and tail dragger or nose gear. You're good to go and my encouragement is to get started!

The sooner you start building, the sooner you'll start flying the 9A, and you will love the plane. It handles extraordinarily well and the economy is beginning to startle me. I've only had mine 8 days now and my only regret is why I didn't do this years ago.

Others may have different opinions but my suggestion is build the airframe and make the serious panel decisions when you're working on the canopy. There's no need to rush.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Dan,

You're fine. Get building!

Personally, I'm finding more decisions being made as I'm doing my wings. But I'm one of those guys who likes to have everything planned and set "on paper", in terms of avionics, lighting, etc. That way I can pick up deals on parts as I build, if I see deals. You might have some fuel system considerations to make come wing time. But that's a few months down the road. Get going on the tail!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Red face Get going

Love the 9a

You can't start too soon. Don't know your age but again you can't start too soon. I stated at 61! Building is way fun, but takes time!

Next consideration is keep flying! I've found time building detracts from flying time.

Next the riviting is talked about a lot, but all the post riveting stuff is where the complexity comes in.

Me: About to get the finishing kit and the avionics. Looks something like an airplane. Running out of room in my backyard shop.

Enjoy

Dan J
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Order the 9A tailkit and make sure to include the small 1oz proseal kit (from the miscelaneous section of the online catalog). You will need it for the rudder.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Oh boy? Why nine? You will be poor forever right after first flight get RV10 or 8...
Jokes aside order the tail you will have plenty of time to reorder other stuff.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Empennage Kit

You will need to make a decision very soon whether to prime the interior parts of the empennage (and the rest of the plane) and consider the preparation (alodine, etc.) if you do decide to prime.

Not trying to start primer wars, but the OP should peruse the VAF section on primering to get some background before he makes the decision.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
You will need to make a decision very soon whether to prime the interior parts of the empennage (and the rest of the plane) and consider the preparation (alodine, etc.) if you do decide to prime.

Not trying to start primer wars, but the OP should peruse the VAF section on primering to get some background before he makes the decision.
How soon into the empanage construction do I need to worry about priming?

-Dan
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM

My suggestion is don't prime unless you live within 50 miles of the ocean. Most of the parts in the kit are alclad - but not all. The alclad provides some corrosion protection. When the plane is built, give it a corrosion-x treatment every 4 or 5 years.

I know others will disagree - and I primed most of my plane with a NAPA self etching primer. It adds weight but it isn't needed. The corrosion efficacy is debatable. My 1974 Cherokee is pushing 40 years old and lots of it has no corrosion protection and it isn't corroding into oblivion. YMMV but I think the risks are over-blown, the benefits over-stated, and there are crazy, insane, dare-devils like Sam Buchanan on this board who fly planes without primer.
RV-9A 702DA (reserved) Finish Kit IOX-340
www.propjock.com
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Definitely agree that priming is one of those areas you'll just have to decide what's best for yourself. Take into account where you live, where the plane will be housed most of the time, etc.

Personally, living in southern Ohio, I don't have to worry about salty air. So I'm just taking a bit of a conservative route. I'm only priming, with NAPA self-etching rattle can primer, anything that gets badly scratched (thankfully not much), and the mating surfaces where parts will meet when riveted. Depending on my mood after riveting a rivet line, whether I'm in a good or bad mood, I'll go back over and lightly spray on some primer over the rivets and immediate surrounding area, just to protect any light scratching or rubbing the bucking bar did.

But those are all decisions that you'll just have to make yourself, make an educated guess at best if you're not sure, and just start building.