-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 PM

I dutifully reported a single irregular heartbeat event that scared me into going to a hospital. They kept me overnight for observation, but the condition went away on its own. Though I was cleared by a cardiologist after passing a full battery of cardio tests with flying colors, I was diagnosed with having suffered an episode of lone atrial fibrillation most likely caused by caffeine and dehydration. The FAA promptly sentenced me to 5 consecutive years of $500 medicals. The government has never moved so fast for me as when they slapped me with a Special Issuance medical.

Almost worse than the $500 bill every year, I kept having to explain to the cardiologist why I had to come back for a 24-hr halter monitor and EKG every year when he had said there was nothing wrong with my heart. I felt like a dang hypochondriac taking up the doc's time when he could have been treating real heart patients.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 AM

Default Be careful

An AME addressed medical issues and also disclosure at our National Ag Aviation convention last December.

He warned us to be careful about what you omit on your application, because with the World-wide-web and easy access to our medical information, you'd be worse off omitting an important event. A good example was my MRI scan and subsequent P.T. sessions to relieve sciatica problems in my leg. I could just be quiet about this but it's not a threat to my passing my medical. Omitting it could trigger a red flag and cost me many more appointments with the FAA and I'd rather not go there.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.