- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:43 PM

Default Cross Country

I finally logged some real cross country time! This is my roundabout flight plan from SF to Oshkosh to Philly. My old college roommate was getting married during the last weekend of Oshkosh, so I decided to leave the show early and continue to Philly. I departed SF around 1pm on the Friday before Oshkosh.

A view of the East Bay as I depart Buchanan Field.

After just 25 minutes I'm crossing the High Sierra on my way to Boise Idaho.

This is REMOTE country. I lost radar and radio contact with flight following for about 50 miles.

Come on engine...don't fail me now.

In just 2.9 hours I am landing at Caldwell Industrial.

I was exhausted after spending too much time at 11,500 feet (14k+ density altitude), so I decided to cut the day short at Gooding Idaho. Gooding was a short 45 minute flight down the snake river.

Not a bad looking whip.

The Gooding airport is a great place to rest for the night. There is a decent shower in the pilot lounge and they let me take the airport car into town for dinner. I pitched my tent on a patch of grass behind the airport.

The minimum number of planes one should own is one. The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of planes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of planes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

- Veluminati
Old 08-08-2014, 11:01 PM

Dawn Patrol... Today is going to be a long day. My goal is Oshkosh, over 1300 miles away!

Plenty of room in the 3 for snacks and water.

I wish I had time to explore these valleys, but even with a 200mph groundspeed I am over 6 hours from my destination.

Dillon Montana, my first stop for the day. Apparently Dillon is a world class fly fishing destination. According to the locals, this ramp will be packed with private jets in a few weeks. The airport manager told me they have a shower and camping area onsite.

So long mountains, hello great plains. Its getting pretty flat down there...

Sweet, they're still serving peanuts on this flight!

Miles City Montana where the winds were gusting over 30kts. My landing shaved a few years off of my life.

The minimum number of planes one should own is one. The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of planes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of planes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

- Veluminati

Last edited by rph142 : 08-08-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Making great time now! I was burning just 5.5 gph @ 230 mph groundspeed.

You're not going to believe this. I randomly decided to stop at the Montevideo airport in MN for fuel and this is what I find. Dozens of planes that are racing to Oshkosh from Hayward CA. What are the odds. Unfortunately, it took me over two hours to refuel.

A quick two hour flight through a steam bath (relative to CA) and I'm landing at Airventure!

My home for the next 3 days.

After a short week its time to depart for Philly. My wife was flying United from SFO to EWR that night.

Woohoo Chicago! I spent many weekends visiting my wife (gf at the time) when she worked in Chicago. The lake was a sheet of ice last time I saw it.

- Veluminati
Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 PM

I stopped in Indiana for a quick pit stop. It looks like rough weather ahead. I better burn some avgas and get out in front of it before its too late.

A view from 15K while sucking O2 from my new bottle.

The weather went to sh$t so I had to drop below it for a while. This is a shot of central PA. I spent many hours riding my bike over those mountains while I was at Penn State.

At long last, the limerick nuke towers (and the PTW gang) welcome me home. It took just 16 hours and 111 gallons!

I had my fill of flying for a while....time for a day on the lake with my parents and their trusty fishing boat.

Oh, and lets not forget the reason for this looong trip. My old roommate, his fiancé, and my wife are Indian, so I made my best effort to fit in.

Unfortunately for me (and fortunately for my dad) I was unable to get two weeks off work. I'll be flying it back to SF this fall. In the meantime my dad will be exercising the G-meter.

- Veluminati

Last edited by rph142 : 08-11-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Wow, what a great trip report and photos, though yeah, too bad you have to leave your plane behind but at least it seems it will be in good hands. These reports are motivation to get back out to the garage and wrench bolts!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Default cc trip

I'd love to see more pics of your -3; great detailing.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Rob,
I just got a hangar at the Caldwell airport. Next time you are in the area, make sure you let me know. I would love to see your paint job. I have admired it since I first saw it.

That is pretty good time from Walnut Creek to Caldwell in under 3 hours. What a plane!
Flying N376E
Old 08-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Ha! I fly that GV! Dillon is a frequent destination!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Default Nice report Rob

We'll check on how your dad is treating the 3 Hope to catch up with you in the fall.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Sweet! Love trips like this thanks for sharing Rob.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.