Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Pix of the new GRT Horizon Hxr Installation

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=f0f8722b87

In this upgrade we totally gutted everything in the 2003 panel, retaining only a Garmin GPS/Com (GNC-300XL), a clock, two back-up instruments, and our TruTrack autopilot.

In addition to the GRT Horizon Hxr, we installed a PS Engineering PAR 200 Audio panel/Intercom/Com, a Skyradar ADS-B unit, and GRT's own standalone GPS. We removed a bunch of switches and wiring that were either redundant or unneeded. (The original builder had switches to control the speed of the trim, and the ability to switch the tach from one side to the other. Those circuits went away, along with some interesting lighting circuits.)

The autopilot is slaved to either the Garmin or the GRT, controlled by a switch that controls 26 (!) lines.

The project took nine days. We could have done it in 7, except the panel blueprints that Stein provided showed a cross-member behind the panel that wasn't there. Since we had planned to build a shelf for the AHRS, back-up battery, and remote radio that attached to that member, we had to make an on the fly redesign.

We are now down to configuring the unit with the 200 parameters it can measure. We are also having a problem with the Trutrak talking to the GRT, but should have that ironed out today.

Many thanks to my friend Tom Berge, who flew down with his wife for a "working vacation" on the island to do this job. I was there the entire nine days (it really is a 2-man job) but my role was "gopher" and "student avionics tech". I did some of the sheet metal work, and pulled a bunch of wires, but the brains of the operation was all Tom. I stand in awe of his knowledge and abilities -- the workmanship is gorgeous -- and I learned so much about avionics in the process.

I haven't figured it out, yet, but I'm guessing we gained 10 - 15 pounds of useful load by ripping out the vacuum system and instruments. We shall see after I add the numbers.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Looks really nice. You are going to love the setup.

I've been flying behind the HXr for some time now and I'm still amazed by how capable it is.

Holler if you have any questions on it.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2020

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congratulations!!

Jay, lookin good

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Awesome change! Definitely an 'interesting' panel when I first looked at it with Winston.

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Yeah, it was a "Drunk Monkey" panel -- as in "This thing looks like it was designed by a drunk monkey!"

Now, it looks right, and will work as I need it to.

We're still trouble-shooting the switched connection that controls which unit controls the autopilot. It's acting bizarrely, since when the switch is flipped toward the GRT, it's actually being driven by the 300!

When the switch is flipped toward the 300, nothing is driving the autopilot. We just painstakingly verified that it's wired up correctly according to the wiring diagram, so now it's in the hands of Stein's wiring guru, Mike. (He drew up the plans.)

Could be settings in the software, too. Argh, this is SO complex.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I had a similar issue when I first wired up my panel, had a switch to choose which GPS input the A/P looked at.

Didnt work.................

I finally found out the two GPS outputs were different baud rate, so I took out the switch. May have been different nema code or something like that also.

Also, do you have ARINC in there??? you need both ARINC and serial to make the TruTrak happy as I recall.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Mike - would you mind elaborating on your last comment about needing both A429 and RS232 inputs to make the TruTrak happy, please?

My intent is to wire A429 from 2 sources (EFIS & GNS480) through a selector switch to the AP. I don't see anything in the TruTrak manual that indicates an RS232 input is "required". If it is required, does it need to come from the same source (ie GNS480) or is the TT happy if its fed RS232 from an alternate source, ie a G396 or similar>
Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Mike - would you mind elaborating on your last comment about needing both A429 and RS232 inputs to make the TruTrak happy, please?

Not much to elaborate on, I was having trouble with my A/P not holding a heading when I was not on a flight plan to a specified waypoint--------called GRT, and Carlos told me I needed to add a serial line.

I did, problem gone.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 PM

Here's a kicker: After a bunch of troubleshooting, we discovered that the GRT Horizon can switch INTERNALLY (with a soft button) between the Garmin 300 and the GRT.

In other words, the gawd-awful-to-wire switch with 26 wires going to it is redundant. It is not needed at all.

Well, that's not entirely true. IF the GRT screen ever goes totally blank, switching the switch to the 300 side will take the GRT entirely out of the loop. But with it switched to (what we thought was) the GRT, the EFIS can actually see both the 300 and the GRT's own GPS.

The irksome thing about this is that the guy who drew up the electrical diagram for us was obviously unfamiliar with the Horizon Hxr's capabilities. We wired it up PRECISELY to the specs provided, and it turned out to be unnecessary. We received bad information that cost us a day and a half, plus materials.

But it's not all bad. In the end, it is preferable to be able to switch between the two internally. I just wish we hadn't wasted so much time and money on an unnecessary bunch of circuitry.

But, it's done. We swung the compass, tested the airspeed indicator in a fast taxi (the weather here has been awful for a week), got the recalcitrant trim indicator working (bad ground fixed), and everything appears nominal. Tomorrow we take 'er up for a test flight, I hope!

Here's a pic of the finished panel:

Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 AM

Default 26 wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
Here's a kicker: After a bunch of troubleshooting, we discovered that the GRT Horizon can switch INTERNALLY (with a soft button) between the Garmin 300 and the GRT.

In other words, the gawd-awful-to-wire switch with 26 wires going to it is redundant. It is not needed at all.

Well, that's not entirely true. IF the GRT screen ever goes totally blank, switching the switch to the 300 side will take the GRT entirely out of the loop. But with it switched to (what we thought was) the GRT, the EFIS can actually see both the 300 and the GRT's own GPS.

The irksome thing about this is that the guy who drew up the electrical diagram for us was obviously unfamiliar with the Horizon Hxr's capabilities. We wired it up PRECISELY to the specs provided, and it turned out to be unnecessary. We received bad information that cost us a day and a half, plus materials.

But it's not all bad. In the end, it is preferable to be able to switch between the two internally. I just wish we hadn't wasted so much time and money on an unnecessary bunch of circuitry.

But, it's done. We swung the compass, tested the airspeed indicator in a fast taxi (the weather here has been awful for a week), got the recalcitrant trim indicator working (bad ground fixed), and everything appears nominal. Tomorrow we take 'er up for a test flight, I hope!

Here's a pic of the finished panel:

I thought that was weird as we have our HS that can switch between our 300 and our 696 just by selecting GPS1 or GPS2. I assumed you were doing it to be able to go around the GRT in the event of total failure.

Which autopilot are you using?

Good luck on the test flight!
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent