What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet # 1!

Kobwo

Well, today was the day. I squeezed the very first rivet on the tail kit. How many more left to go? 2 maybe 300, right? :D

Felt good.

DSC_0011.jpg

P.S. Please Mr Van, change the stickers you use to label parts. Taking them off is going to add to my build time!

Cheers

Congratulations Shawn

When you rivet, be sure there are clecos on either side of the rivet you're squeezing, if possible. You'll have less chance of the two parts having a space between them.

Best,

Get a spray can of 3M Adhesive Remover. Naptha also works great and both will not mar the powder coat. Don

Just figured this one out a few days ago, use a heat gun for a few seconds and they will peal right off leaving no residue. If you leave the heat for too long it will still come off very easy but leave a little residue that MEK takes off with no problem. Congrats on the first rivet, only a few more to go till shes in the air.

-david

Hey, check that rivet to make sure it's not in backwards!:D

Congrats and keep pounding/squeezing and you'll be in the air in no time.

greg

I think you need to drill that rivet out and start with the rivets at the top of the picture... ;)

I just put a few drops of mineral spirits on the stickers and let it soak in for a few seconds. They peel right off and drying with a paper towel removes any residue. Heat also works, on the powder-coated stuff. But it doesn't always seem to work as well on raw aluminum (pushrod tubes, etc.).

Congratulations

Congratulations! I just started myself a couple months ago. Great fun along with some occasional frustration. Just don't be afraid to ask even what you think might be a stupid question. If you're not sure, take some pictures and ask about it. This group is amazingly helpful and very easy on us newbies as you've discovered already. I've put up pictures with some question, got my answer within hours (or minutes) and then had comments related to things seen in the pictures that I didn't think of.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Hey, congrats! I remember that first rivet.

I used to use adhesive remover to take those stickers off. Most of them are aluminum i'll end up priming, and MEK usually gets the gum off.

Keep up the good work!

Kobwo

Congratulations... That was only a week ago for me...

Got the HS all primed and on the table to assemble and my VS is in the paint booth to be primed tomorrow...

Boy do we have some great weather in Georgia..... 70 degrees today and 74 tomorrow. This is February :):):):)

Going to take some pictures of my Bass Boat and put it on Craigs list tomorrow, along with a lot of Ham Radio Equipment, towers, rotators.

Hopefully that'll bring enough for the fusledge and firewall forward kit :) :)

Smilin' Jack

Moved on to the front HS spar last night. It's a good time. The #1 rule I've learned so far is - read the dang instructions and review the plans view often and read ahead a little to see what comes next. The instructions are not a do this, then do that. The next check might change how you do the one before it. Ask me how I know...

Cheers

Back