What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Howard RV7A Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
First real post. Mostly using this VAF as another way of documenting the progress and hopefully having other eyes help identify mistakes. Regardless, others posting here have helped give me ideas on how to tackle this project - many thanks!

Step 1 of Kit 1 started - Empennage arrived, unpacked and inventoried.
- One rib missing VS-706
- One extra rib HS-706
- One bearing missing MD3616M

Also looks like the label are a little different in the BAG 616-PC sub-kit. looks like the correct parts, but the labels are different than what is on the documentation (e.g. HS-411BPP-PC is labeled as HS-411PPC)

More to come.

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7qvfxyU90

(Well, tried to add images from the EAA builders site - not sure if that is an option or not.)

Last edited:
Inventory

Brian
I have a spreadsheet on my blog. You may find it useful.
Look for "Basic Excel Builder Log". It appears you are using EAA but there's lots more in the spreadsheet.
One of the tabs is a complete 7(A) inventory. The others, are Time and Financials. Also an Epoxy/Paint calculator.
Feel free to browse.
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Interesting - I've noticed a number of your posts, but missed the blog. More ideas to consume.

Not sure if it is overkill, but I'm using a part ID (e.g. B0001) for each part. I noticed this helped me on the VANS practice kits to get the similar parts back exactly where they were supposed to be after demurring, dimpling, etc. That is I noticed sometimes match drilling is just a little off for each item.

Feels like I'm building a Rolls Royce!

Blog

Interesting - I've noticed a number of your posts, but missed the blog. More ideas to consume.

Not sure if it is overkill, but I'm using a part ID (e.g. B0001) for each part. I noticed this helped me on the VANS practice kits to get the similar parts back exactly where they were supposed to be after demurring, dimpling, etc. That is I noticed sometimes match drilling is just a little off for each item.

Feels like I'm building a Rolls Royce!

I pulled my blog link from my signature. Its still available to anyone who wants to see it. All they need do is ask.

Your labeling procedure is very useful.

two of the same or mis-identified part?

You may want to dimensionally inspect your (2) HS-706 parts. If they are different, check them against the VS-706 detail part drawing. There is an outside chance there is a mis-identified part, which is much easier to solve.

You may want to dimensionally inspect your (2) HS-706 parts. If they are different, check them against the VS-706 detail part drawing. There is an outside chance there is a mis-identified part, which is much easier to solve.

I'll check tonight. Being new to building, I'm just going off labels at the moment.

H-Stab done, VS 706 missing and now a Technical Advisor!

End of year is pretty crazy and I don't like spending as much time on the computer after work - where I'm always on the computer. Must be part of the reason I'm not into video games.

The H-Stab is done. Turns out a guy I've known for a long time is an EAA technical advisor - so I'm starting that process with him. I'll still update that EAA builder's site when I get a few minutes. I already write dates on the plans so I kinda know what I feel is "done" and what I need to look back at along the way. Regardless, I got a second set of eyes on that H-Stab and it is airworthy as best a real A&P was able to see. Lots of suggestions on how to do things better as I move along - and that was well worth the time.

Looks like the VS 706 didn't ship in the kit - but I have a spare HS 706! And no, it doesn't look like you can swap the parts. At least the pre-drilled holes are completely different and likely more I don't have specs on (e.g. dimensions). Time to call Vans to see if I can get a VS 706 shipped.

Starting the Rudder while I wait. However, that will likely stop along the way as I need the V-Stab done to complete the rudder (thanks to others as I haven't made it that far in the plans just yet).

Goal is to knock out one other part (e.g. the V-Stab) and then get the wings on order. Decided to slow build. This building thing is kinda nice: pounding a bunch of small rivets into place sure helps sooth the soul after a frustrating day at work!

First real post. Mostly using this VAF as another way of documenting the progress and hopefully having other eyes help identify mistakes. Regardless, others posting here have helped give me ideas on how to tackle this project - many thanks!

Step 1 of Kit 1 started - Empennage arrived, unpacked and inventoried.
- One rib missing VS-706
- One extra rib HS-706
- One bearing missing MD3616M

Also looks like the label are a little different in the BAG 616-PC sub-kit. looks like the correct parts, but the labels are different than what is on the documentation (e.g. HS-411BPP-PC is labeled as HS-411PPC)

More to come.

showmy.php

(Well, tried to add images from the EAA builders site - not sure if that is an option or not.)

FYI, the link to your build log is not working. Just coming up with what looks like a bunch of code and nonsense.

FYI, the link to your build log is not working. Just coming up with what looks like a bunch of code and nonsense.

Yea, that is the EAA builder log site. I tried to link an image there and the two sites get confused. I'll hack away at it later.

If I ever retire, I'll have to start building new web platforms for aviation. Most of them are "challenged" in some way. Although part of the reason I chose flying is to get away from computers....

Vertical Stab Done!

Vertical Stabilizer is done. Will take by the EAA Tech Advisor to review my work.

Also wrinkled one of the rudder skins a little. The Advisor I'm working with seems to think it might be a non event but need to drop by for a quick consult over the next few days.

I really put off building as I'm always so busy at work. Flying for the past decade or so was the only fun I really had and the old Bonanza I have scratched that itch. But it turns out building is a lot of fun! After dinner I go out and knock out a step or two on the RV7A. Still very intimidating.

I've updated the EAA builders log a week or so ago. More updates this week as I'm still mostly just jotting down a date on the plans as I complete a step.

I'll see what happens on the rudder skin and then pull the trigger on the wing kit. I'm hoping to not have a super long break between the empennage and the wing kit. However, I'm totally insane - I'm slow building this one!

It worked!! Ok, something is different about the EAA builders site. I do some photography so Flickr it is!

So here is my oldie (not for sale):

51713476437_8eea76b0c4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Bumb rudder

I tried to smooth out the skin myself - after a slight wrinkle that might have just been cosmetic. Well, that was a bad idea.

Just ordered a new skin (right side).

Rudder skin on order.
Started elevators - right (easy one) first.
Will have EAA Tech advisor review the V Stab this weekend.
Wings on order!

ARE WE THERE YET!

Almost done with the rudder!!

I’m waiting on tank sealant to complete the trailing edge of the rudder. Also need a few blind rivets I had to reset.

I spent most of the day updating the EAA builders site. Basic record keeping.

I do have a date on the wings: August. Slow build because I’m kinda liking this building thing. TV sucks and people on the internet are crazy. So- build on! (Unless it is good enough to fly ;) )

Question: tips for the elevator and rudder

I haven't asked many questions here as I have a few A&P's to ask generic aircraft questions. However, this one is a bit of a stumper at the moment.

Question: when to install the tips for the elevator and the rudder?

The stabilizers are pretty easy: whenever.

The control surfaces are a bit different. There is a need to balance them by drilling (assuming here - nowhere near this step at the moment) out some of the led to balance the control surface.

So - allow the tip to be removed before final install post first flight (or whenever the balancing happens)? Or go for the fiberglass now, drill out as necessary and then patch the glass later?

Mostly just thinking this through at the moment. Just the latest problem to work on this adult 3D puzzle with a zillion spendy pieces.....

I haven't asked many questions here as I have a few A&P's to ask generic aircraft questions. However, this one is a bit of a stumper at the moment.

Question: when to install the tips for the elevator and the rudder?

The stabilizers are pretty easy: whenever.

The control surfaces are a bit different. There is a need to balance them by drilling (assuming here - nowhere near this step at the moment) out some of the led to balance the control surface.

So - allow the tip to be removed before final install post first flight (or whenever the balancing happens)? Or go for the fiberglass now, drill out as necessary and then patch the glass later?

Mostly just thinking this through at the moment. Just the latest problem to work on this adult 3D puzzle with a zillion spendy pieces.....

Easy answer. Rudder doesn't get balanced. It's also the most work to get tips nice. Elevators...Assemble and see how they balance now. You have to anyway to get the tips trimmed. Add a nutplate to the forward lightening hole. Easy to add weight later. Tiny holes can be drilled to lighten if necessary then covered with matching paint.

Easy answer. Rudder doesn't get balanced. It's also the most work to get tips nice. Elevators...Assemble and see how they balance now. You have to anyway to get the tips trimmed. Add a nutplate to the forward lightening hole. Easy to add weight later. Tiny holes can be drilled to lighten if necessary then covered with matching paint.

Thank you - interesting point on the elevator and drilling to balance as I remember reading that, but didn't think anything about the rudder. (Totally different than the V tail I own.)

Since I have three months to complete the rudder, I'll really go slow and see if I can make it really nice and straight.

Thank you - interesting point on the elevator and drilling to balance as I remember reading that, but didn't think anything about the rudder. (Totally different than the V tail I own.)

Since I have three months to complete the rudder, I'll really go slow and see if I can make it really nice and straight.

Weights
By the way. Don't trim any weights. Lead is soft. Just tap into shape.

Building the rudder..

https://www.flickr.com/.../52084792212/in/datetaken-public/

Proof the fat old guy did a thing ....

... might be useful at the local FSDO in say - 5 - 30 years ....

By the way, the rivet gun is really loud in the video, but really turned down to only drive the rivet about 1/2 way - per the instructions. About to turn the rudder over and complete the job with the flush rivet set (with the rubber guard - THAT sucker was totally worth the money).

(Oh - many thanks to another old dude with the mile long rivet backing plat - the BOMB!)

Almost went with the cleavland squeezer set for this job. But I decided to fall back to the instructions - looks easy enough... (however the next post may be ... well ... entertaining ....)

(ok, it is inverted, but hey, the RV7A does allow for acro ...)

1080p.mp4

Whooohoo! The Empennage is DONE!

Got busy at work and didn't have time to focus on building. Took the long weekend to set the last few rivets on the Rudder. Now to review with a local to see if I did it well enough...

... Last post until August - when the wings are supposed to ship....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back