What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Andy in Fresno

arr

Sponsor
I thought I would properly restart my build thread with the right title.

On this day, Friday the 16th of 2020, I am reporting that I have had my empennage kit since Monday.

Inventory is done, the aft spar is assembled along with the other skeletal parts for the VS.

My firsts: countersinking, match drilling, cleco-ing, deburring, and I gotta say......having nothing but fun!

Thanks for all the input from those who have gone before!

Andy

I thought I would properly restart my build thread with the right title.

On this day, Friday the 16th of 2020, I am reporting that I have had my empennage kit since Monday.

Inventory is done, the aft spar is assembled along with the other skeletal parts for the VS.

My firsts: countersinking, match drilling, cleco-ing, deburring, and I gotta say......having nothing but fun!

Thanks for all the input from those who have gone before!

Andy

Oh, boy, your life is about to change! Have fun!

Final holes?

One observation:

It appears that much of my kit is final hole drilled !!

Can this be? I thought this was going to happen in the future and that I was out of luck.

The instructions with the packing list described orange dots or tape on only the parts that were NOT final sized holes. This, in my kit, leaves most parts with the final size.

(If I am not mistaken).

One observation:

It appears that much of my kit is final hole drilled !!

Can this be?
).

Ease to check - does the shank of a #40 bit pass smoothly thru a hole for an AN3 rivet?

Several -10’s up here at KLVK. We’re always happy to offer free opinions, worth exactly what you pay for -:)

Congrats Andy - you are in for a treat! Thats fantastic if you have final drilled parts... that would have saved countless hours for me!

Wood and Bone

A tiny bit of background:

I grew up a house framer- I can read blueprints and I can work lumber alongside the best of them!

Then I decided a whole bunch of school would be fun. So I have been working as an Oral Surgeon for over twenty years.

I am good with wood and bone!!

Aluminum is NEW to me. But it is not bad to work with and I am having loads of fun.

What scares me is the whole primer thing. After loads of research went with AKZO with the understanding of it being quite TOXIC. I have a Hobby Air hood and air supply, disposable coveralls, etc.

Ten Days Later....

OK, I am ten days after the arrival of the empennage kit.

Ready for primer and final assembly: Vertical stabilizer and rudder.

Horizontal stabilizer is started and needs some primer due to the fact that some riveting needs to be done on the spars and spar doublers before proceeding.

Therefore, time to prime a whole lot of parts.

(Not a painter....wish me luck)

Andy

There are a few products to prime with. One of the build logs I binged through had a non toxic product, Eco-Etch and Eco-Prime. The log didn’t mention any bad parts to it and it’s shelf stable and safe to dispose they said. When I start I’m gonna look into that more myself.

On primer

Thanks for the input on primer.

I had a paint session on Saturday. Did a lot of scotchbrite scuffing followed by acid etching (bonderite) and a lot of water.

Disposable gloves were used throughout so no oils on anything. Dried with clean shop cloths and compressed air and then......

Painted!! Paint "booth": Plywood sides and cardboard on the concrete outside in good weather. (all from the shipping crate from Vans)

HOBBY AIR- so worth it! It was the first time using this system and I couldn't even tell I was spraying paint ....no smell and fresh air the whole time.

Gun: cheap Harbor Freight was awesome.

AKZO epoxy went on so easy and fast for a great result. AKZO dries very quickly and by the time you flip all the little pieces and paint the second side you have been painting maybe one hour...if you are taking your time.

Bottom line: AKZO is not very difficult to use, goes on thin and dries quickly.
The result is a bomb-proof finish that looks great.

So far, so good.

Andy

Insurance

I see you are working on or about to get your PPL. An insurance agent told me no one will unsure you in an rv-10 with less than 300 hours. Something to plan for...

Hey Andy,

Sounds like you’re a few hours ahead of me. I have everything scuffed and ready to prime. I’m using rattle can primer from Home Depot. Rustoleum self etching primer.
I can’t imagine doing these builds without a forum like this or seeing pictures of actual components being assembled. Vans could do so much better with their drawings and instructions. So much is left to the imagination or trying to look ahead and see where things go together which tends to waste a lot of time.

Cheers

Photos

About my hours.....yes....I have a long way to go. I think I'll be flying my butt off over the next year. Did five hours of training over the weekend and with the good weather here in Fresno should be able to stack up a lot of training...

As far as diagrams... as soon as I figure out how to attach photos I will.

Go to it Andy! Always great to anticipate another RV gracing our California skies! Come out to KHAF when the temps get a bit too high out in the valley (quick flight in a 10!)

Update

Finished another weekend of three lessons and about nine hours of training.

VS finished!
Rudder- what a pain in the rear doing that trailing edge! Almost done.
HS good start.

Next: another primer session. Build cradles for HS.

11-17-20:
Week #5 since delivery of kit.

Last week was way too much work, dang!

Yesterday was a good build day:
Riveting the horizontal stabilizer skins.

NOTE: getting the inboard nose ribs riveted was very difficult for me. The problem was figuring out how to adapt the skins near the leading edge to the nose ribs.
It is now done and looks "OK" which is not what I would normally accept.

Also, much of the elevator is started.

WJB-

I look forward to getting out to Half Moon Bay to meet up. I have also had a shout-out from Livermore.

This Fresno thing is great for flying due to typically "boring" weather that supports a lot of flight opportunities. But, I gotta admit, the heat in the summer season!!!! Ugh.

Any meet-ups? I'll be there.

Andy

Update 11-30-20.

Training: solo'd after 15 years of being away from my first lessons.
Great CFI who is a crop duster is teaching good stick and rudder and FORCING ME to feel what the airplane is doing and FIX it!

Today went to a new airport locally and am now cleared to fly three in the area and get ready for the first cross country.

Building: Getting near the end of the elevators!

Insurance: I agree it's looking grim for low hours and an RV10. Therefore, I will just continue to fly ALOT!!
Hopefully by the time the 10 is done I will have 300 hours! And a handful of dual time in someone's RV10.

And thanks for all the help out there!

Congratulations on the solo! Good job man.

As for insurance, nothing drops rates like reduced risk...that comes with flying well and flying often. Yes, your rates will be high the first year, less after that, but should curve downward in time. You might just consider it part of your build cost if it makes that it easier to accept.

Enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
12-9-20:

1. I need to set up a project site...perhaps EAA builders log or ??

2. The elevators are prosealed together and sitting under dumbells.

3. Working on trim tabs and soon the tail cone.

4. Solo'd at the tiny, little, tiny, little Skypark in Fresno (E79). What a rush for a new guy! This is quite important due to it being the home base for the airplane.

5. LOTS of questions regarding future decisions...

Having fun and waiting for the fuselage....months down the line.

Update

My latest garage adventures:

Well underway with the tail cone and have all the appendages complete!

Attachments

• IMG_4784.jpg
    IMG_4784.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 546
First pause in action.

I have been sailing along, having fun even, when all of a sudden felt the lousy feeling of having "lost steam".

The old school sailors used to refer to "becalmed" when there was no wind in the sails. And I guess it kind of describes a bit of what I have felt.

Plan:
1. Take a few days off away from the garage. (did that)
2. Quit obsessing over every slightly elongated hole or scratch in aluminum!
3. Quit looking so far ahead at the huge multitude of decisions and work to be performed.
4. Back to the garage with good music.
5. Enjoy RV videos of FLYING planes.
6. Keep flying/training.

And THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM!!

I have been sailing along, having fun even, when all of a sudden felt the lousy feeling of having "lost steam".

The old school sailors used to refer to "becalmed" when there was no wind in the sails. And I guess it kind of describes a bit of what I have felt.

Plan:
1. Take a few days off away from the garage. (did that)
2. Quit obsessing over every slightly elongated hole or scratch in aluminum!
3. Quit looking so far ahead at the huge multitude of decisions and work to be performed.
4. Back to the garage with good music.
5. Enjoy RV videos of FLYING planes.
6. Keep flying/training.

And THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM!!

Nothing wrong with taking a short pause and reset the mentality. Sometimes you'll come back fresh and make better progress as a result.

It's a fine line to look ahead/plan and getting overwhelmed at times with all the choices, the implication of those choices, and staying ahead of purchases so you don't get held up when the time comes. I'm guilty of jumping the gun several times and ordering things way ahead of when I really needed them or making a choice too soon that I regret later. Just keep taking small bites of that elephant and things will come together.

Feb 2021 partial update.

SHOUT OUT to Phil !!

He is a volunteer tech counselor that has now come over to my "hangar" to look over my work and answer all kinds of questions.

It is amazingly reassuring to have that kind of input including eyes on my work and an honest assessment of my questionable skills .

Update:
Tail cone riveting almost complete- working on the top skin.
Static ports installed.
Elevators attached to the HS
About to attach all tail feathers!

Antennas: I am close to understanding what is needed and where to install.
Avionics: Not EVEN close to understanding but getting a grasp of what I can remotely install in the tail cone.
DYNON is currently my choice....but .....

Training: Just did my first solo cross country. This weekend will be the long one. Need to slow down enough to complete the written exam.

Until next time....

Keep going Andy. Your doing an amazing job. It won’t be long before we meet up with the 10’s somewhere in Oregon or Washington and do some formation flying!

Keith

Update:

The tech counselor came by and gave me an overall thumbs up. He is a super picky guy, which is a good thing. Some of my rivet shop heads could look nicer. Oh well.

I got to see another guy trying to finish up his RV7 with help from a few other builders.

This has been helpful to mentally sort out some of the multitude of decisions.

My thoughts now (subject to change at any time!):

Empennage- mount AHRS bracket as described in the instructions, more or less.
provide bracket for ELT on one side.
provide bracket for ADSB stuff on the other side.
Doublers for : ELT antenna on tog near the VS somewhere. This will have to be a bit off-center due to the centered stiffener.
ADSB out on the belly, Transponder antenna nearby on the belly.

Other antennas: Two comms on the fuse belly.
VOR in a wing tip. (Currently the idea is that there will be nothing up on the VS) I have had multiple pilots say the wingtip antenna is great. (Some pilots are done with VOR altogether)
GPS's hopefully can fit in the overhead console with access panels- if there is enough vertical distance for the GPS and the coax connector.

Electrical: I like what Carl says about two batteries, but what do I know. He actually sent me his electrical diagram. Therefore, I may modify the battery tray for the two battery approach.

Avionics: I still leaning towards Dynon, not sure about this either.

Always open to ideas! Especially on the dual battery vs dual alternator debate, etc.

I just sent an email to Van's to find out the status of the fuselage......

A serious DELAY:

Ordered the QB fuselage at the end of October.

Just received a response from Van's.

Delivery is scheduled for August and even that is very subject to change.

Maybe go slow build???

Well, the written exam is done....and with a great score.

From what I hear, this should help with the check ride experience.

Need three hours of night and some hood time....

Having a blast.

Now to get back to building.

I’m a bit surprised you haven’t had a zillion replies telling you what avionics to buy - so I’ll tell you(!). If you go the Dynon route their standard transponder is a re-branded Trig TT 22 which is mode S-ES. Just add an approved gps to get adsb-out compliance (this can be any garmin tso’d navigator, or a $500 GRT gps).
I have GRT efis’s (and like everyone else, love my choice) and they can interface with a $500 refurbished SkyRadar, with its antennas on the fiberglass door posts.
Works great, and cheaper than a separate USB and separate external antenna.

I’m a bit surprised you haven’t had a zillion replies telling you what avionics to buy - so I’ll tell you(!). If you go the Dynon route their standard transponder is a re-branded Trig TT 22 which is mode S-ES. Just add an approved gps to get adsb-out compliance (this can be any garmin tso’d navigator, or a $500 GRT gps).
I have GRT efis’s (and like everyone else, love my choice) and they can interface with a $500 refurbished SkyRadar, with its antennas on the fiberglass door posts.
Works great, and cheaper than a separate USB and separate external antenna.

I am curious where I could go (online or in person) to find out more information about stuff like this? I am also working on the empennage section for an rv-10 and am so unfamiliar with GA avionics that I didn’t understand anything you just wrote. Maybe I should sign up for some magazines to get more in the loop?

Great work on the plane and flying Andy.

Having been gone for a while.

Bob Turner,

Thanks for the input on avionics. I will be in touch.

I can now fly to your airport to meet up

PASSED THE CHECK RIDE YESTERDAY !!

40 YR DREAM......DONE !!

I cannot express what this means.....thanks to all for all the help!

Andy

Now back to the RV10.

The empennage is complete and waiting for some attention with fairings, etc.

The fuselage ???? I have no idea when that will be delivered. Has anyone heard back from Vans after the "survey" asking what option we would be willing to take?

1. stick with the original QB order.
2. have an "affected" QB fuse delivered.
3. change to a slow build...

What's the latest?

Congratulations, Andy, on the PP. Keep flying while you build (more hours will help with insurance rates, as will getting your instrument rating). Get your high performance endorsement (needed for the -10).
Something to think about: delivery. I flew commercially to Portland, got the recommended U-haul truck, drove to Vans, they loaded a QB fuselage and wings into it, I drove home, arriving about 2 am. You’d probably need one night in a motel, for Fresno. But - especially for both wings and fuselage in one trip - it was much less expensive than any other delivery method.
Let me know if you’re ever planning on flying into LVK.

Bob

Considering looking at the "affected" QB's.

Is that crazy considering a "defect" to be ok in my new plane?

Otherwise, yes, if going up there to pick up the fuselage saves potential damage in shipping and saves considerable time...then the trip would be beneficial and fun.

Back to building....FINALLY

I have decided to work with a builder's assist in Oregon and just had my fuselage delivered.

It was changed from QB to slow build because of all the delays.

In a few weeks we will travel to the Assist place and get some serious progress going on the RV10.

YES !

RV10 in Bend!

I just spent a week at Bend Builder's Assist (in Bend, Oregon) and had a great time.

Me and my building partner, Fred, accomplished a huge amount of work on the fuselage, putting in 60 + hours in one week. And we had fun to boot!

I can't say enough about the folks at BBA.

Most importantly, momentum is back in the build.

Looking forward to the 10!

Progress!

As of Monday 3-7-22 I have my slow build wing kit!

Thanks to Kelsey and all the folks at headquarters for working so hard to keep the builds going!

Still lots of work on the fuselage and the slow building of the wings. Looking forward to more kits showing up in the coming months.

The work is progressing in the garage for now. It's just so easy to walk out there daily and do a little. When things get too big I'll be moving to the hangar at Sierra Skypark.

Just finished installing the AC scoop and condenser fittings on the belly. Also, the doublers for a couple of com antennas. The titanium is prepared for installing a fire barrier on the forward belly.

Also, trying to figure out just how to run conduits and AC hoses.
The AC hoses are going in the right wall and I am staying out of the center tunnel altogether.

AC connection

This is one of the AC hose connections. I am running the 90 degree elbows to place the hoses outside of the tunnel.

Attachments

• Air conditioning connection.jpg
    Air conditioning connection.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 177
Com antenna

One of the bent whip antennas under the rear seats.

Attachments

• Com antenna.jpg
    Com antenna.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 136
Antenna doubler

Went with a double doubler? Two additional layers of aluminum and riveted to both adjacent ribs.

Attachments

• antenna doubler.jpg
    antenna doubler.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 242
AC hoses

I ran my hoses under the right rear seat and then to the right wall.
That meant I could mount the access ports for charging the system in the panel under the forward edge of the right back seat
My understanding is that the system has to be charged with the engine running and I didn’t want to put it firewall forward
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A
RV10 in process

Aviator therapist ??

I was about to go to bed 9:30 or 10:00.

Just a quick look at the plane in the garage.....

one thing led to another....

stopped at 2:00 am....

help

Checking in....

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a bit.

The canopy work is about to start.

Most control systems are good to go.

The slow-build wings are collecting dust and I can't wait to get going on them with the ER tanks option from sky designs.

In the meantime, The RV6A purchase is complete along with the endorsement to fly the beauty!

So fun to fly! Finally !

Andrew

Checking in....

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a bit.

The canopy work is about to start.

Most control systems are good to go.

The slow-build wings are collecting dust and I can't wait to get going on them with the ER tanks option from sky designs.

In the meantime, The RV6A purchase is complete along with the endorsement to fly the beauty!

So fun to fly! Finally !

Andrew

Still going!

There are times when I look at various builds and wonder if the builder is still building based on the outdated posts.

Therefore, I am notifying this great forum that my build is coming along. Sorry about the lack of communication!

Update: Fuselage:
Heads up to folks who are working on the emp: the fuselage will blow your mind as far as all the systems involved. You are no longer a riveter! You become involved in systems and planning and decision making, etc.

Most systems are installed. Dual electric fuel pumps (SDS), SS braided fuel lines, air conditioning lines, scoop, Dynon pitch and yaw servos, wires pulled from fore to aft, ELT and antenna installed, com and HF antennas installed, RG 400 pulled, access panels for all sorts of stuff, O2 components, remote transponder.......

Trying to get as much of the tail cone components as possible before removing the fuse from the rotisserie.

I cannot say enough in support of the ROTISSERIE for ease of access when working on the innards of the fuselage!

This is still going on in the garage. The fiberglass canopy is being fitted now.
Soon to learn and master the art of fiberglass!

Wings: slow build kit inventoried and waiting for the slow builder to get with it.

Finishing Kit: crated and on the way.

FWF kit: crated soon.

Bottom line: still enjoying the process. Fitting all of this in with a full time business and family.
Also continuing in flight training. When this project started I was just starting flight lessons. License to fly for 1.5 yrs and have over 200 hrs.
Half owner in a RV6A and loving it.

Just a quick update AND a BIG thank you !! to the forum and its members.

Andy

Nothing official, just a great mentor tat put me through the paces until he felt I was safe enough to fly the 6A.

Update

Finished fitting the canopy!

Working on the doors.

The Hartzel prop along with the parts to the finishing kit and the FFW kit are in the bonus room.

Back