What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7? LATE COMER

hardegg

RV-7? LATE COMER N124KH

Well my project consists of a box containing a travel drive with plans, the initial pages you get with the jump drive, the two practice projects(tool box and flap). Along with a quote for tools (hoping to pick up around the end of the year) and plans to hopefully purchase the first kit early next year.

but Hey - I have my daughter working on the paint scheme already. I've heard that is a real priority.

can anyone advise best suggestion for builders log?

Last edited:

All depends on how much detail you want to document, and how much time you want to put into this.

Can be as quick and easy as checking off each step on the plans ----date and initial is nice. Photos even nicer.

Other end of the scale is somewhere up in the wild blue yonder.

Personal experience with the RV 10-----each step signed on the plans, photos on a CD (that the inspector did not even look at).

The new project is being done the same way-----check,date, photo log.

Blogspot

I just created a blog on blogspot.com. Really easy. Wordpress also works. This is not on my server so I should be backed up on the google cloud. One of these days i will print out a hard copy. Others sites have helped me so I figure I would pay it forward.

2 DAR inspections, a -6 and a -7, never looked at 1 picture or my builders log. I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time tracking the build, but rather spend the time building. After all you have to sign a notarized statement verifying that YOU constructed at least 51% of the machine. I think that satisfies the DAR's requirement and covers his butt.

Blogspot

And then you have the OCD end of the spectrum. Every minute and penny accounted in a spreadsheet. At least one photo a day. Notes and photos copied to a Google blog.
Yes, it's way overkill but it's helped lots of builders and I've had to look back many times.
I figure it will help resale value as well.
Feel free to browse. Link is below.

I track my shop time in a spreadsheet each day with the days activities. I snap a bunch of photos with the phone and upload them to my google drive regularly, but only a handful include me because I?m building solo and taking selfies isn?t organic so I have to stage them. I firmly believe your time is best spent building and not documenting, but on the other hand I?ve benefitted significantly from those willing to chart their build and share their experiences. When my airplane finally flies it will be in no small part to the great folks on this forum and others who came before me. ?I am tall because I stand on the shoulders of giants? is how I see it.

but Hey - I have my daughter working on the paint scheme already. I've heard that is a real priority.

John while painting is important don't forget about modern avionics. That's what impress the crowds. Buy now! From Stein! :D

Can be as quick and easy as checking off each step on the plans

Personal experience with the RV 10-----each step signed on the plans, photos on a CD (that the inspector did not even look at).

2 DAR inspections,
I wouldn't spend an inordinate amount of time tracking the build, but rather spend the time building.

Golden advice. Did exactly that which made my DAR satisfied. However if you have have spare time out of the shop put it in an online blog. Average intelligence guys like myself are always on the hunt for a recipe. Ask the Cards if you don't believe me...

Remember the most exciting and satisfying part is the empennage. It gives you the feel you almost accomplished the airframe. Then in three years you hang the engine... and you suddenly understand you haven't started yet.

Good luck John. Keep this thread alive for years to come. First flight of 2026 will come before you know. We will be there for the party :D

Wise & Experienced

lol!

Great post Vlad!

John, and other new builders, frame this post. Only, be advised that the avionics "buy now" advice is tongue-in-check - I bought good stuff, but way too early. Paint scheme? Check out Vlad's. I flew for a year with the same scheme. However, your daughter's participation is valuable, so encourage it.

Look forward to the party in 2026!

Best regards,

Merrill

Vlad's Signature Update

Vlad,

You really should add

Remember the most exciting and satisfying part is the empennage. It gives you the feel you almost accomplished the airframe. Then in three years you hang the engine... and you suddenly understand you haven't started yet.

To your signature. In fact, I just added it to mine!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]Good luck John. Keep this thread alive for years to come. First flight of 2026 will come before you know. We will be there for the party :D
[/QUOTE]

I was just hit by an idea: my first instructor and my inspiration was my Dad. His first flight lesson was in 1944 on what would later be my birthday
I'm going to shoot for a Sept 2025 date for my first flight.
that would have been his 100th birthday.

kinda makes me feel old when i put it that way

everyone is still invited to the party though...

Last edited:
Another gun jumper but ran across a N number that caught my eye and filled out on line reservation form.

anyone remember how long it takes the FAA to respond?

Site said something like 2-3 weeks

Another gun jumper but ran across a N number that caught my eye and filled out on line reservation form.

anyone remember how long it takes the FAA to respond?

Site said something like 2-3 weeks

I think 2 weeks is about what it took earlier this year to get mine.

BTW: welcome to the adventure.

ok - getting ready to gut my garage and set up shop. i tend to be a little disorganized which i can get by with on small or short haul projects but feel the need to get organized for this one. I've searched this site and the web for layout ideas but most on the web are geared for woodworking.

can any one advise a good book or source for design options.

ok - getting ready to gut my garage and set up shop. i tend to be a little disorganized which i can get by with on small or short haul projects but feel the need to get organized for this one. I've searched this site and the web for layout ideas but most on the web are geared for woodworking.

can any one advise a good book or source for design options.

Nope. Keep it that way welcome to the Disorganized Club. Since you voluntarily cut one year off your build time I suggest get the empennage kit, get basic cheap tools online or borrow and start pounding the rivets in the kitchen. A closet door is a great workbench for a beginner. Research the web at work. You have only 2,100 days left before first flight :D

RV-7? LATE COMER N124KH

ok color me ignorant,

i grew up the son of an Army Air Corp pilot turned corporate pilot after the war.
and spent all of my early years around around guys who were at Midway, The Mariana's(forgive spelling), etc and my dad started teaching me to fly at 15.
That was 50 years ago and aviation is a totally different world now.

I was watching and instructional video (geared for Canadian builders) and the guy mentioned having to send a letter of intent prior to starting the build.

is there a site where i can go to look up what documentation I need, when i need it and what inspections are needed at the different stages?

I have an email into my local EAA chapter DAR but have not heard back yet and I figured this would be a good source.

by the way - I'm not a pilot (long story) but you never get rid of the bug.

Documentation

ok color me ignorant,

i grew up the son of an Army Air Corp pilot turned corporate pilot after the war.
and spent all of my early years around around guys who were at Midway, The Mariana's(forgive spelling), etc and my dad started teaching me to fly at 15.
That was 50 years ago and aviation is a totally different world now.

I was watching and instructional video (geared for Canadian builders) and the guy mentioned having to send a letter of intent prior to starting the build.

is there a site where i can go to look up what documentation I need, when i need it and what inspections are needed at the different stages?

I have an email into my local EAA chapter DAR but have not heard back yet and I figured this would be a good source.

by the way - I'm not a pilot (long story) but you never get rid of the bug.

Technically, you only need one official inspection right before first flight. However, most would recommend an EAA Technical Counselor take a look at several stages.
Before closing the first component
Before closing wings and tanks
Canoe stage
Before Final Inspection.
The TC will fill out a mtipart form. One goes to EAA, one to you and one they keep.
Many DAR Inspectors look favorably on positive feedback plus a TC will catch issues before they propogate through the build sequence.

Hi John glad to hear you asking right questions never late. Over a year has passed I think you’ve completed your wings already. It was easy, isn’t it? Hurry up life is short. Don’t worry about pilot license I got mine couple weeks after airworthiness certificate :D

ratchetstraps1.jpg

i wish - i'm moving a little slower these days - but starting to tool up.

Which brings up a question - ran across a video of you ( I assume) featuring a Ryobi drill press and band saw.

I was looking at getting these two and the 1" belt sander.

have they held up well for you?

working from home since late Feb and it's making me lazy. My wife has even commented a couple of times that we need to get started on
the airplane to give me something that will motivate me.

Last edited:
Back