What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arizona Road Use

Berchmans

Well Known Member
Ok, this may seem like a silly question but does anyone know about the regulations concerning landing on roads in Arizona? I ask because I am very near completion of my RV8 and have also recently become the owner of a house in Arizona. It's in the desert but there is a nice, long stretch of back country road right at the property. I am no stranger to landing on roads or off airport as I to it routinely here in Alaska.

Ok, this may seem like a silly question but does anyone know about the regulations concerning landing on roads in Arizona? I ask because I am very near completion of my RV8 and have also recently become the owner of a house in Arizona. It's in the desert but there is a nice, long stretch of back country road right at the property. I am no stranger to landing on roads or off airport as I to it routinely here in Alaska.

According to our local DPS pilot- It is on the books as legal as long as you are not obstructing traffic. Watch out for the no passing sign....:D

I would like to know the same for Kansas.

Can land on one stretch of highway right next to my sisters house
but might have to take down a few markers for ditches.:D

Caution in AZ though, a lot of our state would fall under this - from the AIM -

7-4-6. Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas

a. The landing of aircraft is prohibited on lands or waters administered by the National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or U.S. Forest Service without authorization from the respective agency. Exceptions include:

1. When forced to land due to an emergency beyond the control of the operator;

2. At officially designated landing sites; or

3. An approved official business of the Federal Government.

We worked our ag airplanes off lightly travelled country roads for years.....then bag phones in cars came along and the cops showed up....over width, no license plate, no tag.. blah blah.

That's where our problems were....the cops got involved.

Land discreetly so no cars have to stop or get scared and in your situation, you'll probably be OK.

Best,

time for a helicopter. :rolleyes:
img1192copy.jpg

Legal in TX in county roads, as long as the county commissioners don't have a problem with it.

County Commissioner is my father in law... :D

We worked our ag airplanes off lightly travelled country roads for years.....then bag phones in cars came along and the cops showed up....over width, no license plate, no tag.. blah blah.

That's where our problems were....the cops got involved.

Land discreetly so no cars have to stop or get scared and in your situation, you'll probably be OK.

Best,

Those friggen cops always have to spoil a good time!:eek:

I heard of a farmer in Wash St that had his own strip alongside the road.The road was much smoother, but there were a few signs that might interfere with the wings. He cut the signs and installed hinges with solid latches. He would buzz the house and the kids knew to run out to the road and fold the signs down...

Locally, as long as you coordinate with the country sheriff they will block off the road and you can take off or land. They may charge you for officer time. I figured two dozen donuts should be good. ;)

Locally, as long as you coordinate with the country sheriff they will block off the road and you can take off or land. They may charge you for officer time. I figured two dozen donuts should be good. ;)

That didn't work so well for a friend of ours here. After landing on a road due to an oil problem, a passing officer offered to block traffic and went down the road ... but not far enough. After clipping the top of the officer's car, the aircraft - a high wing non-experimental - ended up on it's back. No one was hurt. I'm being deliberately vague on details, but be aware that many officers will not know that a 1500' take-off may require additional distance to clear a low obstacle and so adjust your estimates accordingly when coordinating with inexperienced ground personnel.

Edit: Ok, apparently he gave the story to another friend to publish. Here's Greg Brown's article that centers on the incident. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back