What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rockrack with Dual LEDs?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Has anyone actually installed the Rockrack switches but used the Dual color LED switches? ACS as well as the manufacturer (Apem.com) has dual color LED switches. The intent is so that each state of the switch (off-on) has a colored indicator.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the dual color ones. I'm trying to determine if the color from one light illuminates both parts of the switch cover/actuator, or if the LED only illuminates the indicator directly in front of it.

Anyone have experience with this? I'd ideally like to have it so that in the off state, a white light illuminates the switch. When switched on, it turns green.

I'm using one of these, an (ON)-OFF-(ON) switch for the flaps, with green LEDs for both ON positions. Not flying yet, but from what I can tell, the LEDs only light up the indicator for the position selected and do not appear to bleed over to the other indicator. YMMV. I'd say buy one and test it... :)

I'm really happy with these switches and how they look in my panel. Everyone compliments them.

Steve

Let me know what you find out. My ideal switch would be a back-lit rocker that is back-lit with amber when in the off position, and back-lit green when in the on position. And dimmable.

PS. I believe the manufacturer of the RockRack switches is actually http://www.aveoengineering.com

Last edited:
Actually Aveo just had some custom covers done. The real manufacturer is apem.com. You can see the specs for the switches and operations at http://www.apem.com/rocker.html. The specification themselves are http://www.apem.com/pdf/kr.pdf.

From what I can tell so far, the dual light LEDs can be wired in a few different ways, I think my goal is do-able (top light can stay on all the time to illuminate the icon/name, and the lower LED can come on when the switch is actuated. I plan to mostly use white to light the icon, and green or red to indicate on.

Actually Aveo just had some custom covers done. The real manufacturer is apem.com. You can see the specs for the switches and operations at http://www.apem.com/rocker.html. The specification themselves are http://www.apem.com/pdf/kr.pdf.

From what I can tell so far, the dual light LEDs can be wired in a few different ways, I think my goal is do-able (top light can stay on all the time to illuminate the icon/name, and the lower LED can come on when the switch is actuated. I plan to mostly use white to light the icon, and green or red to indicate on.

You are correct, sir!

Looking at that PDF, you can at least get "night illumination when OFF
and higher illumination when ON." And it seems like you can jumper some of the pins to get other lighting scenarios (Page D-58)... it might be worth just ordering one and playing with it to see how you can get it to work.

Apem mainly sells wholesale. Mouser and digikey carry some of their products, but for the most part the dual LEDs are not in their inventory. ACS is actually the only place I've found them so far.

roughed in mine to see how they fit, like a glove!

UcKSP.jpg

Yup, they are an official retailer for aveo. I talked with them and they don't sell or know much about the dual led switches because they aren't part of the aveo line.

Yup, they are an official retailer for aveo. I talked with them and they don't sell or know much about the dual led switches because they aren't part of the aveo line.

That's weird. That's where I *got* the "special" switch I have...they had the list of them and had them available long before ACS did.

Very strange, but then...not atypical in my experience viz-a-viz vendors to the aviation community (especially experimental).

ETA: Here is the complete list of special switches which I received from Kestrel-Air back early last year:

AVEO Part Numbers Description position pcs

AVRR-01-BP-12RR Switch bottom part 12V Red/Red LED ON - - - ON 20 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12GR Switch bottom part 12V Green/Red LED ON - - - ON 20 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12BR Switch bottom part 12V Blue/Red LED ON - - - ON 20 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12WR Switch bottom part 12V White/Red LED ON - - - ON 20 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12RW Switch bottom part 12V Red/White LED ON - - - ON 20 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12GW Switch bottom part 12V Green/White LED ON - - - ON 24 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12BW Switch bottom part 12V Blue/White LED ON - - - ON 22 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-12WW Switch bottom part 12V White/White LED ON - - - ON 26 DPST

AVRR-02-BP-12-R Switch bottom part 12V Red LED ON - - - (ON) 19 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12-G Switch bottom part 12V Green LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12-B Switch bottom part 12V Blue LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12-W Switch bottom part 12V White LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12RR Switch bottom part 12V Red/Red LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12GR Switch bottom part 12V Green/Red LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12BR Switch bottom part 12V Blue/Red LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12WR Switch bottom part 12V White/Red LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12RW Switch bottom part 12V Red/White LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12GW Switch bottom part 12V Green/White LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12BW Switch bottom part 12V Blue/White LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST
AVRR-02-BP-12WW Switch bottom part 12V White/White LED ON - - - (ON) 20 DPST

AVRR-11-BP-12-G Switch bottom part 12V Green/Green LED ON - OFF - ON 20 DPDT
AVRR-11-BP-12-W Switch bottom part 12V White/White LED ON - OFF - ON 20 DPDT
AVRR-11-BP-12-B Switch bottom part 12V Blue/Blue LED ON - OFF - ON 20 DPDT
AVRR-11-BP-12-R Switch bottom part 12V Red/Red LED ON - OFF - ON 20 DPDT

AVRR-22-BP-12-R Switch bottom part 12V Red/Red LED (ON) - OFF - (ON) 20 DPDT
AVRR-22-BP-12-G Switch bottom part 12V Green/Green LED (ON) - OFF - (ON) 20 DPDT
AVRR-22-BP-12-B Switch bottom part 12V Blue/Blue LED (ON) - OFF - (ON) 20 DPDT
AVRR-22-BP-12-W Switch bottom part 12V White/White LED (ON) - OFF - (ON) 20 DPDT

AVRR-01-BP-24BW Switch bottom part 24V Blue/White LED ON - - - ON 2 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-24GW Switch bottom part 24V Green/White LED ON - - - ON 4 DPST
AVRR-01-BP-24WW Switch bottom part 24V White/White LED ON - - - ON 6 DPST

AVRR-11-BP-24-R Switch bottom part 24V Red/Red LED ON - OFF - ON 1 DPDT

Last edited:
Ok, so a little update. I ordered one of the two LED units from ACS. I wanted to test if the LEDs could be wired up properly. My goal was to have the switch icon/label illuminated at all times. Secondly, I wanted the positional indicator on the switch to light up when the switch was activated.

In my test case, I ordered a Red/Green dual LED switch from ACS.

WP_001553.jpg

I wired it up so that power was sent to the top icon and stays on regardless of switch position. This could of course also be run through a dimmer control to adjust brightness

WP_001550.jpg

I then wired up the lower positional indicator so that it would illuminated ONLY when the switch was ON.

WP_001546.jpg

So it looks like this should be easy to do in production with a small set of jumper cables in the back. As far as parts, I found the "Connectors" are not necessary as standard spade connectors can be put right onto the switch itself, the "connectors" are a clipon male/female style adapter and add over an inch of depth to the switches and un-necessary weight. As a result, you also dont need the Aveo Pins - as they are only needed with the connector. Lastly, you do indeed need 2 of the removal tools to be of any use.

Great work! That is exactly the functionality that I want in my switch illumination.

In your setup, is "down" on? If so, can you order the switch with "up" on?

The switch will work either way, in fact when I first wired it up, it was in the fashion you wanted. So the same switch body can be wired either way.

Cool. So switch operation is changeable, but what about the labels? Are they movable, or do they need to be ordered in different positions?

I'm envisioning the switch label and icon at the bottom in red or amber, and the green "active" light on top.

Sorry, just re-read that. The covers are only printed in one way. If you flipped it so the "on" indicator was on top, the icons would be upside down. But you can switch which LED color is on top. But the label has to be on top.

Quick question...if you have some lights that are ON all the time, and others you have wired to only come on with the switch actuation, how are you handling the dimming?

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
I am going to use a solid state LED capable dimmer. It should have no problem driving the label icons - no different than a normal LED. I need to see what happens when the "on" indicator isn't always grounded (not illuminated) and the affect on dimming.

Awesome Panel!

Wow Brian, awesome panel. 8 hours bottle to throttle, but only 30 seconds throttle to bottle. Nice thinking!

All kidding aside, we did ours using the Carling Contura rockers. I laser etched the lettering and the icons on the LED panels, but still have to paint them. It is pretty tough to get the spacing and whatnot lined up. If anyone wants the CAD files that I finally used I'd gladly supply them.

That could be accomplished as well. The logo/label is at the top and is always illuminated. When the button it pushed UP, the status light could be illuminated to show it is on.

I am considering these switches and have a couple of questions. I too want to have the icon lit continuously and then have the second LED light when the switch is on. Are all of the covers made with that in mind? The covers on the Aveo site don't seem to be etched for such an indication. And, on the ACS site, would I need one of the on-on switches? They seem to be the only options with duel LEDs.

I am considering these switches and have a couple of questions. I too want to have the icon lit continuously and then have the second LED light when the switch is on. Are all of the covers made with that in mind? The covers on the Aveo site don't seem to be etched for such an indication. And, on the ACS site, would I need one of the on-on switches? They seem to be the only options with duel LEDs.

I used these and set them up with blue always on and red to show activated. Before you get too far into it though, 5 of my switches have been on back order for months....you may not be able to get the dual led ones anymore. I emailed AVEO and they were no help....seemed to say they were discontinuing them. Spoke to the manufacturer APEM with no joy.

I used single LED to get me by, but left the back order open just in case they ever show up. Pics in my builders log.

I started with Dual LEDs and have two of them. The others I had on back order for over 6 months, never came in stock. I talked to a factory rep and apparently the dual LEDs are usually only made to order for large customers. So not sure how ACS was originally getting them, but at this point unless you can handle a large quantity and trying to resell, its all but a lost cause.

Now, as far as the rocker covers, they have a small slit on the bottom of the switch face that enables the second LED to show through, so you can indeed wire them up to do the indication you want to do. It's just a matter of finding any.

The only one ACS seems to stock is the White/White one in an On - On configuration.

Well, that is disappointing, but what can you do? I guess I will go with the single LEDs. Thanks for the information.

Still waiting on my back order from Acs too. I ordered in October and after 4 changes in the expected arrival date feb 15 has come and gone and no word from Acs on if they came in or not. Still waiting....

Dual LED's hard to get

I too have had the blue/red dual led's on backorder since September. Got 4 of them in in December, was promiced the rest by Feb 8. Now they say Mid April.... Argggg.

it's easy enough to call this a future enhancement for your cockpit and build on with the regular switches, that's what i'm doing.

Plenty of other work to do

I have mostly finished with my wiring, waiting on the switches, I just hope the April date happens. Put it on hold waiting on the switches, back to fiberglass (Cowl & Pants). That should keep me busy until April. If they still don't come in, then I will go with the single LED's

Got the email from acs today saying that the expected date for delivery of "my" switches will be another 8 weeks.:mad:

But, she assured me i was first in line to get them, lol. :p :rolleyes:

Bummer. Had they been upfront about the actual delivery i defiantly would have gone another route. I dont think they should still have them up as being for sale when they cant fulfill orders from nearly 6 months ago! Other builders might go down this same path. A person designs their electrical system with certain switches and cuts holes in various places and whatever other modifications are made to accommodate for what they have planned, something like this could and apparently has delayed projects for months and cost money to remake parts and redesign for something else. Im not very happy with acs right now.

Apem, Aveo, ACS RockRack, Kestrel-Air Rocker Switch

Hey Gang,

I was curious on the follow up to the switch debacle.

I spoke with APEM today regarding another control panel issue, but did bring up the dual LED switch. I came up with a part number as best I could, on the fly, using their online selection guide. They are indeed a manufacturer and only supply orders to large companies. ($1000 minimum order, 40 pcs minimum order, $10K per year min). Oh well... Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied Electronics will be able to quote and get what we want with a minimum order of 40 pcs and with a lead time of 10 weeks.

So, In short I ordered a few parts to play around with from Kestrel Air.

Stay tuned!

Chuck

Looks like some of the duel led rockrack switches have come in finally at ACS. Looks like mine are shipping finally, well they banged my debit card for them anyway so I hope they are in....

RockRack dual LED's

Has anyone purchase the dual LED's rockrack switch? I'm at the point of purchasing everything I need for the panel. I would have never thought the switches would slow me down! So many to choose from...

I did

Took 6 months to get the switches in from ACS. Other vendors had the same backorder problem. If they are not in-stock, don't count on them soon. Also rumors that they were being discontinued, so make sure you order all you need at one time.

Been there, done that...

I started out buying all aveo products (lights & switches etc.)... I have since sold all the aveo stuff i had except the rock rack switches... Which I had on back order for 7 months & I'm still searching for a couple switch face plates... Great / cool products... Sad, Sad Service & Sales staff!!!! The AeroLED guys are absolutely awesome. I wish they'd make switches!!!

Brian, you either work at a bar or appreciate good scotch.
I think I see a bottle of Laphroaig in there.
I take mine neat.

Last edited:
With all of the discussion about lead times, back orders, and discontinuing, I decided to make an investment and purchase my switches from ACS. Believe it or not, they had almost all of them in stock with a date of September 13 as ETA for the two items on back order. We'll see how that holds up.

I got the dual colored ones, but my concern is they are on-on. Looking at Apem's website, however, you can wire them with a VPX pro so that it would function as an on-off. Can anyone confirm that?

Part #'s I ordered:

11-08208 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON GR
11-08209 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON BR
11-08211 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON WR

With all of the discussion about lead times, back orders, and discontinuing, I decided to make an investment and purchase my switches from ACS. Believe it or not, they had almost all of them in stock with a date of September 13 as ETA for the two items on back order. We'll see how that holds up.

I got the dual colored ones, but my concern is they are on-on. Looking at Apem's website, however, you can wire them with a VPX pro so that it would function as an on-off. Can anyone confirm that?

Part #'s I ordered:

11-08208 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON GR
11-08209 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON BR
11-08211 AVEO 12V SWITCH ON-ON WR

Yes they will work as on/off if you don't put anything on the other 'on' pin. That's how mine are wired.

I got mine in this weekend and these things are awesome! One more switch that is on back order until the 17th, so hopefully that date is firm. Happy I got these before they disappear if they indeed are discontinued.

I experimented a bit tonight with mine to see what they looked like lit up. I did notice that there is quit a bit of washout from the sides when the switch is in a position that exposes the LED. I'm wondering if anyone has them installed in a panel yet? Are you seeing a lot of light shine out from behind the switch? Any pictures? Thanks.

Back