What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jetflex coats?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Just sprayed Jetflex for the first time on several test pieces. That would also be my first time spraying anything at all.

It seemed to come out pretty well although maybe I should wait a bit longer before the final verdict.

I sprayed one coat 6-8" away at a slow-medium speed. Should I spray a second coat?

If so, can I keep the stuff in my gun for 15-20 minutes or do I need to break down and clean immediately? Sorry if that is a silly question but I'm very new to painting with a gun.

Thanks!
David

I used JetFlex WR (water reducible) and yes, it wasn't easy to clean if you let it sit too long. As for coats, I'd experiment a bit but avoid going too thin. I referenced the manufacturer specs but couldn't figure out what 2 mils (~50 microns) dry looks like:confused:. I didn't add enough coats and regret not adding more. I feel like I can easily scratch my interior paint if I'm not a bit gentle. Luckily, most of it will get carpet to cover it.

thickness of coat is based upon gun setting (pressure and volume), as well as speed of travel. You'll need to run tests to get a real feel for how those three things translate into coat depth. I wouldn't sweat it though.

I recommend two medium coats over one heavy. If you try to do things in one coat, it is far too easy to lay it on too thick and you will have a problem with runs on vertical surfaces.

I have not used Jeftflex, but have painted several cars. Look on the data sheet for Pot Life. This is how long the paint can sit before setting up. I assume that there are several different speeds for the activator and they, along with temperature, determine how fast it sets, either in the gun or on the surface. I highly doubt 20 minutes is a problem, but you need to check especially if you are using a FAST activator.

Larry

I've used the JetFlex for my interior (after a start with automotive epoxy enamel). I highly recommend it! I've learned to not get it too runny - keep it barely diluted with distilled water - say 10%. I do believe that it may not stick well if you dilute it too much? I keep this in the pot for an hour or less usually because I mix to just what I need at the moment. I wash the gun with water immediately afterward to prevent it drying in the gun.

I pour any extra from the gun into a small container and use it for touch up around cockpit as things get nicked - works well.

I had to use a bigger tip 1.5mm on fx3000 finex spray gun. I turn my pressure up a little beyond the "2 bar" value. Make sure you scuff the surface with scotchbrite pad and of coarse clean well. I do not do multiple coats. This paint seems to be tolerant of beginners mistakes although its thickness takes a while to get use too.

They had me write this up once for our eaa chapter. If anyone is interested: http://eaa902.org/April13NL.pdf I give other tips in that article.

Back