What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for Tennessee RV guys and gals

shamer

Well Known Member
I'd like to hear the locals talk up their particular area of Tennessee. Hoping for a nice airport (preferably no tower), hangar availability (prefer to purchase rather than rent), "reasonable" property values, light winds (after 40 years in the desert, I'm sick of wind). I don't care about employment, we're done with that.
Our daughter and her husband are moving back that direction with our brand new grand daughter and we're considering following.
Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Where in TN?

It's a very wide state, if you have to drive it can be 8 hours from one side to the other.

If you would like to build to suit on an airpark, and like grass and country then you might consider Whifferdill (TN77). It is close to both Nashville and Clarksville. You can use google earth to get a nice sat. view or search for Whifferdill in google maps. wwwdotwhifferdilldotcom

KTHA

I had to leave 22 years ago, but I sure enjoyed the 11+ years I was based at Tullahoma. I hear there's some property on the south end now with "through the fence" priveleges. I too plan to return to that part of the world when circumstances allow...

Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport KGKT

The Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport is actually located in Sevierville, Tenn. The view of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park from the airport is magnificent. The airport management is actively seeking individuals to build hangars. There are none for rent. I know because I've been on a waiting list since March. You might want to give the Hometown of Dolly Parton a look.

I live in west TN and if I had the choice, I'd definitely live in east TN. Prettier country for sure!

I grew up in Tennessee as did both my mother and father. My mother used to talk about the three states of Tennessee. She was referring to the three distinct geographical features of each part, divided roughly by the meandering Tennessee River. West Tennessee is primarily flat land, Middle Tennessee is rolling hills, and East Tennessee is what we call "mountainous," although I admit the Smoky Mountains are not nearly as high as the Rockies. Each area is beautiful to me, since I still long for the "hills of Tennessee."

There are some areas where land is not as pricey as others; you just have to look to find them. Probably the best way would be to move to a selected area, get to know the locals and then buy some acreage. Of course there are some airparks already developed, as have been identified already in this thread.

I will give you one note of caution. Unless you want to use the local airport (KMRC), stay away from Maury County (county seat is Columbia). I understand the county government passed an ordinance a few years ago that individuals can't build an airport on private land anywhere in that county. I hope that has changed.

Good luck.

Arnold Air Force Base

I had to leave 22 years ago, but I sure enjoyed the 11+ years I was based at Tullahoma. I hear there's some property on the south end now with "through the fence" priveleges. I too plan to return to that part of the world when circumstances allow...

Also Tullahoma is the home of Arnold AFB so you have access to the commissary and BX as a retiree. BTW...I grew up there. Home of the Bonanza and Staggerwing museum and a very aviation friendly area. And they will lease you property to build a hangar.

Last edited:
Also Tullahoma is the home of Arnold AFB so you have access to the commissary and BX as a retiree. BTW...I grew up there. Home of the Bonanza and Staggerwing museum and a very aviation friendly area. And they will lease you property to build a hangar.

And right smack dab in the middle of some very nice non-towered, RV-intensive airports.....Winchester, Shelbyville, Sewannee (home airport for the late Bill Kershner), Maury County, Lebanon, Lewisburg, etc, etc........and just a short hop north of the Tennessee Valley RV Builders Group fleet. :)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone

This is good information and I appreciate everyone's time and input. Keep it coming!

Personally, I find the landscape beautiful between Chattanooga and Nashville, so I'd look in that corridor. Tullahoma, Winchester, and several of the other airports in the area have been mentioned already.

Look up 1A3...

This is where I base. We have the cheapest fuel around, new hangars and quiet. We are located in the SE corner of the State where it intersects with GA and NC.

Contact me for more info...

Copperhill, TN

I like Copperhill Airport. I kept my RV-9 there before they did the renovations to FBO and Main Hangar, they also have new hangars for rent. Great nine hole golf course nearby. Active EAA Chapter just over the hill in Blairsville. Beautiful area to fly. This is a ccomplete deal, we have travelled all over the US, Alaska, & Central America, but we keep coming back here to spend our summers.
Gerry
Repeat Offender
Cessna Skyhawk
RV-4

check out Deerfield Resort (TN44). That place is incredible. 3100 foot strip with hangars, 18 hole golf course, marina with tiki bar, restaurant in the community, pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball, on Norris Lake, very affordable, and the people are tremendous. In fact, we are holding a RV fly-in at Deerfield on Oct 6th. Please come and join us for alot of fun. There will be great food, fun, a live band, golf cart rally, and lots of
RVs. Hope you can make it by. Email me with any questions.

I agree

Personally, I find the landscape beautiful between Chattanooga and Nashville, so I'd look in that corridor. Tullahoma, Winchester, and several of the other airports in the area have been mentioned already.

Kyle,

We've driven that stretch and I would have to agree with you. We'll be looking.

I like Copperhill Airport. I kept my RV-9 there before they did the renovations to FBO and Main Hangar, they also have new hangars for rent. Great nine hole golf course nearby. Active EAA Chapter just over the hill in Blairsville. Beautiful area to fly. This is a ccomplete deal, we have travelled all over the US, Alaska, & Central America, but we keep coming back here to spend our summers.
Gerry
Repeat Offender
Cessna Skyhawk
RV-4

check out Deerfield Resort (TN44). That place is incredible. 3100 foot strip with hangars, 18 hole golf course, marina with tiki bar, restaurant in the community, pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball, on Norris Lake, very affordable, and the people are tremendous. In fact, we are holding a RV fly-in at Deerfield on Oct 6th. Please come and join us for alot of fun. There will be great food, fun, a live band, golf cart rally, and lots of
RVs. Hope you can make it by. Email me with any questions.

Looks very nice. It also looks a bit remote. How far is it to grocery stores, medical facitlities, etc.

Hey Steve, LaFollette is the nearest city and has everything. It is a small town, but it does have everything. Deerfield is the type of place you will just have to go visit. It is just unlike anything I have ever seen. I have lived on many airparks before, but nothing like Deerfield. Check it out if you can. You will absolutely love it! If it works out that you can make it to the fly-in, please come by. There will be a rep from Deerfield there and someone that can take you around and show you the area. I hope you can make it.

Scott

Arnold AFB

Don't expect Arnold AFB's commissary and BX to be like any other usual DCA/AAFES establishment you are used to. . . they are very small and share the same building. Also Arnold is a closed base and even with another bases DoD sticker and your retired ID card, you must stop at the gate and get a pass/ID good for only the Commissary and BX.

Fort Campbell in Clarksville TN on the other hand has a huge BX and commissary.

There is just a little bit of size difference between Ft. Campbell and AEDC. No comparison between the two. There are not many military in Tullahoma, it's mostly civilian. Huntsville (Redstone) might be a better choice if your decisions are based on military retirement.

Still, the country around the area is some of the prettiest you will find. Cost of living is reasonable. Good medical facilities. Lots of water. Nashville and Atlanta are close. Weather is decent. And there is a lot of aviation activity to get involved with. I grew up in Tullahome and thinking seriously about moving back when I retire.

Deerfield

Looks very nice. It also looks a bit remote. How far is it to grocery stores, medical facitlities, etc.

Deerfield is very nice. My wife and looked at buying a home there but my wife got car sick on the drive in to the resort. That's why we bought in Sevierville.

Yeah, the drive is a bit winding around. But, boy is that place nice. My wife and I absolutely LOVE going there and spending the week. So relaxing, and so much to do, if you want to. The lake is the cleanest lake I have ever seen. We go jet skiing, boating, fishing, or just go floating in the lake. Plus, Springs Dock just around the corner has soft ice cream. So, naturally, that is an everyday occurrence. LOL. I hope that you will be able to come by and see the place, just a piece of heaven.

Back