What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog Island, FL

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
As all of you are well aware, it is winter here in the states. It?s even winter here in the south. After a week of snow, ice, cold and being stuck in the house the weather finally broke on Saturday. The wife and I decided an airplane trip to the warmer south was in order Friday I had planned on finding 80 degrees but our late start in the morning would have pushed us getting home well after our doggies like to eat so we decided to try out Dog Island in the Gulf of Mexico.

I?ve seen a few people ask about it on VAF but no one had any insight on the conditions of the runway or surrounding areas. I made a quick call to the phone number listed on Airnav.com and a gentleman answered. He said the runway looked fine but he wasn?t too convincing. Fine to a non-pilot and fine to an RV pilot may be WAY off. All I took from that conversation is there were no houses or trenches dug through the runway but not the actual condition.

Nonetheless, we loaded up and left north Georgia around 10:30 AM, skirted ATL airspace, climbed to 4500 and then skirted the restricted area around Columbus. It was a wonderful, albeit cool, flight down and only took 1:33 minutes until ?feet wet?. Aren?t RV?s great? I was worried about flying to an island but knew it was only a few miles off shore so we stayed high. Once we got to the water, I realized I could glide in without any problems so I started a descent for a clearing pass to the south. We flew down the runway to check for holes, wildlife or people. On the clearing pass I saw no signs that anyone had landed there in recent times but it looked safe. We setup for a Q turn landing back to the north. I kept up the speed because I wanted to feel out the ground with the left main before just plopping it down in 3-point stance on a field I knew nothing about. I was however pleasantly surprised that the runway was very smooth. In fact, it?s probably the smoothest runway I?ve landed on behind Triple Tree in South Carolina.

After we shutdown I went to pay. I opened the mailbox and there was 1 envelope that was already written on. Just from the date and the situation, I would say the last airplane to land there was in September of last year. I gave my $10 as requested and then set off to find a bathroom. We quickly realized there were no bathrooms. The wife was not so happy about that but it didn?t bother me much. We saw not one person on the island, nothing but abandoned cars and a few birds. In fact, it was down right creepy. After a walk on beach and picking seashells we decided it was lunch time. I didn?t bring any fishing poles so back in the airplane we went. As we taxied out, we finally saw signs of life! A rather large raccoon scurried across the runway looking as bewildered at us as we did him. Take-off was as smooth as landing but we did circle the island once to gain a little altitude.

10 minutes later were sitting in Hamaknockers Oasis at the end of Wakulla County?s grass runway. Decent BBQ with a great location is something I can?t pass up. The locals were very accommodating and friendly. Once stuffed, we headed back to the cold air of north Georgia. Overall, it was a great day. Sunny beach, with fall like temps, good food and 4 hours on the Hobbs. Not to shabby.

I?d plan a trip back to Dog Island when the weather gets warm. I have even read that camping permits are available from the mainland but you need to take your pooh out with you.

Video of the landing...

165632_1517561059812_1258077057_31144512_6269247_n.jpg

167725_1517561219816_1258077057_31144513_5644855_n.jpg

166672_1517561499823_1258077057_31144514_5681338_n.jpg

164744_1517561619826_1258077057_31144515_4786596_n.jpg

167078_1517561779830_1258077057_31144516_5454233_n.jpg

168289_1517561899833_1258077057_31144517_6364345_n.jpg

165501_1517562019836_1258077057_31144518_3877947_n.jpg

Dog Island

Sid,

You flew right over me at 49FD. I'm 15 minutes north of Dog Island and visit there every now and then to do something different. My wife and I visit Hamaknockers often too and relly enjoy the BBQ. Dod Island is a great place, but you don't see too many people. You can book a room at the Pelican Inn if you want to stay overnight. Since home is only 15 minutes north, I've never tried the Pelican Inn. If you ever go again and would like some company give us a call at 49FD.

David and Janice Watson
49FD

Jeff, the Pelican Inn says no camping but I'd venture to say that it may be in their business interests to say it. The Pelican Inn looks down right abandoned. Some of the front windows appear to be missing as the drape were just blowing in the wind. There was a Ford Explorer parked in front that the tires had rotted almost completely away.

However, the State of Florida seems to think you can camp there... "A permit is required to camp on the island for a small fee. Permits are obtained from Grande Tours Family Outdoors Center on the mainland, about a half mile from the island. Proceed northeast and enter Coral Creek. The outfitter is just around the bend on the left. Since there are no facilities on the island, you may want to use the restroom and fill up water bottles. Reservations can be made in advance by calling 941-697-8825."

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/paddling/Segments/Segment 11/Segment11.htm

The island with the exception of the area around the airport, dock and Inn are just plain gorgeous. This area is about 200 yards square so you don't have to walk far to find raw nature. We did see a sign that said no camping on the taxiway or runway.

RocketBob, the cars are there because there is no road to the island. People ride boats in and then take the cars to their cabins. There are quite a few cabins on both ends of the island. I would guess a hurricane or 2 has "done in" a few cars but people didn't want to pay to have them moved. Sad.

Dog Island

There's no way to get on or off the island except by airplane or boat. The cars are brought over on a barge and left for the land owners to drive from the harbor to their homes. The air strip is adjacent to the harbor, so the first thing you see when you fly in is the "parking lot" for all of the homeowners cars. The salt air is rough on the metal too.

I've never known that a permit for camping was necessary. I've never seen anyone camp there either. The airplane ramp would make a nice spot to camp and provide a little protection from the ocean breeze at night. I don't think anyone would care, plus when you do see someone, they are always super nice.

Carrabelle has a nice paved runway that's about one mile from a nice BBQ restaurant. Carrabelle is the fishing town that is on the coast just north of Dog Island. You can also fly over to Panacea and land at the Wakulla County Airport and enjoy BBQ at the end of the air strip at Hamaknockers. Panacea also has Angelos which is an upscale seafood restaurant about a one mile walk from the air strip.

The area is a very nice remote place to fly to. Great seafood and BBQ and the peace and quiet of Dog Island.

Memories...

There I was, 1979, a senior at FSU towing gliders on weekends and bugging my boss to borrow his nearly brand spanking new Cessna 172. He relented after much lobbying by myself and allowed me to rent it for one day and take my room mate and his girlfriend along.

Destination: Isle De Chein (Dog Island)! We flew south from Quincy for a short distance to what I have come to call "The Lost Coast" having lived in LA (lower Alabama/NW FL) most of my life with the exception of some suare's to Iraq. As we approached the beautiful coastline I could see the island on the Earth matched the colored drawing on my sectional (GPS, cellphones, computers and political correctness weren't invented yet:)) and set up for a landing. My room mate asked if we needed permission. I smiled and responded, "forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission"! His girlfriend wasn't impressed. The shiny new 172 settled gently onto the sandy grass strip and we taxied to the parking area. Before we could barely extricate ourselves a golf cart drove up and a 80+ year old man jumped out and immediately began interrogating us "interlopers" as to our intentions. "Y'all runnin' drugs?" he queried. My wise guy room mate of course replied "only the expensive ones". Now the old man really was reaching the spin cycle but before he could remove the single bullet from his pocket I jumped in and said "sir, we just want to get some seashells and impress her" pointing to my room mates girlfriend. He then smiled and said, "well, that's different, jump on!" He then drove us down to the beach adjacent to the best spot for shells and we were off.

The rest of the visit was non eventful, and for the next 31 years I would become a regular visitor. My Rocket has been to "The Dog" more times than I can count and I request my room at the Pelican Inn by memory.

I'm glad to see some other RVers enjoying this wonderful, formerly secret spot.

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Dog Island memories

There I was, 1979, a senior at FSU towing gliders on weekends

Hey Rob, I had no idea you were a fellow 'Nole!

I believe that same old man was there in 1985 when I tried to impress a young lady with a trip to the beach in a clapped out Tomahawk out of Tallahassee Commercial. She was appropriately attired and we were spared the interrogation. Now that I think about it, I don't think he even said anything to me. Never had any issues with camping there in the early 80's.

hey Sid

I only have one experience at Dog Island. ANd it relates to a boat rather than a plane.

My brother and I were fishing out of Carrabelle and had gone over to DI to fish when one of those afternoon storms appeared.

Needless to say we were outmatched in a 17 foot boat and outboard.

We first thought to tough it out on the beach, and should have. Second idea was to head towards mainland. Ron was bailing water with an ice chest and I was trying to keep the boat perpendicular to the swells.

Man, I thought we were going to be crab food.

Cary

Dewatson or anyone else that knows...

Hamaknockers at Wakulla has closed. Has another restaurant gone in to replace it?

Wakulla Resturant

I understand a Mexican Resturant is there now. It is supposed tobe good. I really enjoyed Food at Hamakockers. It was a great place to fly out for lunch.
Gerry, VAF 172
Repeat Builder

Back