What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 ULS Oil

steve wyman

Well Known Member
I just finished the annual on my RANS S-7S, and, in the process, I switched over to the new oil, that is now recommended by Rotax. It is Aeroshell Sport 4, and is available through most of the Rotax dealers (Lockwood, Air- Wolf, Leading Edge Airfoils, etc.) I had been using the previously recommended Pennzoil motor cycle oil for the first 230 hours. I flew the airplane, post inspection, Sunday, and lo and behold, my oil temp is now about 10 -15 degrees cooler! I'm not sure what accounts for the difference, (the new oil is 10W40, instead of 50 weight, like the Pennzoil- maybe that's the difference). Anyway, I'm sold on the new stuff- it was, after all, developed specifically for the 912 series Rotax's. Just thought I'd pass it along. Steve

I did not know that, so thanks! It's about time there was an oil just for Rotax 912's. That has been a controversial subject for years.

I've also been using Aeroshell Sport 4. Seems to be working well. My oil temps tend to run warm (210-230) and I'm happier running the semi-synthetic over the straight dino oil.

TODR

Aero Shell Oil for Rotax

I have been using the new Aero Shell on the last two oil changes in my Zenair 601HDS - 912UL, but have a hard time finding it locally. Our FBO cannot get it, so I intended to pick up a case while at Sun & Fun is year. I went over to the offical Rotax booth, and the rep there advised that he recommended that I use Mobile One (motorcycle oil) if I mainly use mogas. He stated that if I were using avgas most of the time, then he would recommend using the new Aero Shell. Since the price of the new Aero Shell has gone up and is about the same price as Mobile One, I'm going back to using the Mobile One which I can get locally. I use 93 octane car gas most of the time anyway.

Jim O
Blairsville, GA
RV-12, wings, tail, fuselage, finish kit.
www.mykitlog.com/jimolson/

912 Oil

I purchased at SNF Mobil One motorcycle oil from Lockwood this was what they recommended, very expensive. It is also compatible with regular Mobil One.
Gerry
RV-12, N6GC, wainting for Engine Installation Kit

HONDA

I used Honda 4 cycle with MOLY ( for the gear box ), in silver containers. Worked well, and was recommended at the time. Honda dealers are in most areas. Another option.

John Bender

Back