What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Gear Strut Clearance Issues

steve wyman

Well Known Member
I did a trial fit on my nose gear strut today, and I ran into a couple of clearance problems. The first was the slot that goes over the lower firewall flanges- I was able to open this up with a Dremel tool, so that it no longer interfers with one of the nutplate webs ( I'm not sure, but one of you other guys may have already mentioned this issue?) The second problem was the 90 degree elbow, that exits the gascolator- it is right up against the gear strut. Anyone else have that problem? I'm thinking of swapping the plug on the other side of the gascolator, with the elbow, but I'm not at all sure I won't have an interferance problem, down the road with something yet to come with the firewall foreward kit. Any thoughts on this? Steve

Steve,

I might be able to help with the gascolator. A revision was issued placing the elbow on the outboard side, the plug on the inboard side near the centerline.

I assume you are correct, but if this is the case then Van's is not following their procedure as this is an issue that requires us to fix something that was done by the plans and they have said they would issue a Service Bulletin for such events and we have not been so informed. I do wish Van's could get there act together on the paper work, the rest of what they do is great but they lack any ability to do paper work.

Best regards,
Vern

Steve,

I might be able to help with the gascolator. A revision was issued placing the elbow on the outboard side, the plug on the inboard side near the centerline.
Thanks, Marty. I guess I missed that revision- that will certainly fix that problem. Unfortunately, I now have another issue with the nose gear. I have it installed, with all 13 AN3 bolts lined up at the bottom, but the top bracket, through which pass the two lower engine mount AN6 bolts, does not lay flat against the firewall. The left side is fine and the hole lines up, but the right side is away from the firewall by 5/16"- way too much to draw in tight by tightening the motor mount bolt. It seems that the entire upper plate is twisted in relation to the bottom plate ( when viewed from the top). Anybody else, who has mounted their gear, run into this? Steve

I just got off the phone with the tech reps at VANS, and once again I'm impressed with how well these folks conduct their business. I explained the problem I was having with the top plate of the nose gear mount laying flat against the firewall, and before I could finish, they told me , no problem- apparently several of the first finish kits had the problem with the nose gear weldment, and has since been rectified. They are sending me a replacement as we speak, and they want me to return the old one in the box the new one comes to me in ( apparently the can reweld it). If you got an early finish kit, you might want to check the nose gear fit. Steve

They are sending me a replacement as we speak, and they want me to return the old one in the box the new one comes to me in ( apparently the can reweld it). If you got an early finish kit, you might want to check the nose gear fit. Steve

Thanks! I'll need a new one also. Mine is bowed in the middle between the top two bolts.

Nose Gear

Mine fit perfect. The only problem was I didn't receive the axle bolt or slotted stop screws. When I did I put fuselage on the gear, much easier to move.
Gerry

Back