What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit

steve wyman

Well Known Member
This will probably stir up a hornet's nest, but here goes, anyway. Has anyone out there heard anything lately on the finish kit availability? Jim, if you're reading this, any thoughts or info on the matter. You usually get the word from VANS first. My wings and tail feathers are done, and the fuselage will be finished in a couple of days- I'm getting ansy and haven't yet recieved the two weeks heads up letter from VANS. Steve

I hope you are right. I called for a Bill of Sale so I could go ahead and register my 12. I was told I couldn't get it until I received the Finish Kit. I then ask when the Kit would be availiable and was told March. This needless to say was a disapointment as I have finished all the other kits and have a engine on order. I had hope to have this thing flying before summer (EAB). I sure miss my Nine. Thank goodness I have the Cub to fly. It looks like it will be awhile before the twelve is ready to fly.
Gerry

Well I guess March is the end of this month. Is that right? They will give you a bill of sale after the finishing kit ships?...cool. I'm like the rest of you...done and waiting. Did you really already buy an engine? I thought Van's would probably have some kind of deal....quantity buy and all.

Pete

Hope you are right

Hello,

I too want to build it as AB-E, but as far as I know there is no guarantee that we will be able to do that. If it goes that way you'll need to buy another engine from Vans and an avionics package as well. I read somewhere that in order to qualify as an E-LSA Vans requires you to buy every kit from them. If permitted to go AB-E I plan on putting an AFS EFIS and a 696 w/ Garmin stack.

E-AB

Like you, I am going the E-AB route. I sure wish that we weren't the guinea pigs. It sure would help if the final rule was published, and if Van would try to get the kit qualified. I feel that if we do make some changes and have a true evaluation by a qualified DAR, with his heart in keeping AB alive, it will happen. At least, I am banking on it.

Tom

Possible information

E-AB

Spoke to a good friend that owns a LSA company. He said if you have started a kit BEFORE the new rule(s) take place, you will still be judged upon the old rules as long as you have documented everything very well and can prove YOU built it. Mel, jump in if that is not correct.

John Bender

Good News

Wow!! I sure hope you are right!!
Maybe I am not just building a fancy yard ornament after all.

Tom

I am in the same boat . I am done with every thing waiting for finish Kit . I am Painting the fuselage and wings today( not my favorite part of the build). I intend on EAB as I want to keep a simple low cost panel. I wonder when Vans will start selling the 912s. . I believe we need the engine serial # to registar dont we. I did on my last build.The paper work asks for it.

Brad

finish kit

I purchased my 912ULS from Wentworth it came out of a wind damaged Stingsport. I will install yellow tagged avionics, used, probably all King. Dynon not sure about it. Sensenich has two props for the Twelve, wood $625 & composite ground adjustable $1525. I will probably go with this one. I had
a Inspection by our Chapter Tech and he stated the airframe looked good. Contacted DAR and said he would be ready when I was. Talked to EAA Homebuilder Boss, he stated to make sure everything was documented 0n the 8000-38. also photos. He thinks there shouldn't be a problem. All I can say is it is up to the individual. I don't want to influence anyone.
Gerry
Repeat RV Builder
J-3, NC88583

I purchased my 912ULS from Wentworth it came out of a wind damaged Stingsport. I will install yellow tagged avionics, used, probably all King. Dynon not sure about it. Sensenich has two props for the Twelve, wood $625 & composite ground adjustable $1525. I will probably go with this one. I had
a Inspection by our Chapter Tech and he stated the airframe looked good. Contacted DAR and said he would be ready when I was. Talked to EAA Homebuilder Boss, he stated to make sure everything was documented 0n the 8000-38. also photos. He thinks there shouldn't be a problem. All I can say is it is up to the individual. I don't want to influence anyone.
Gerry
Repeat RV Builder
J-3, NC88583

Gerry,

Did you call Vans and ask them if they will sell you an engine mount if you don't buy the engine from them? You might want to.

The rv-12 order form says No items may be deleted or returned from RV-12 E-LSA kits. When I called in a while ago asking about GPS substitutions his response was you already bought the Garmin. In other words when we committed to buying the first kit we committed to buying all the kits as is.

Now if you go EAB I guess you may be able to buy parts as parts, but I wonder what that does to the prices. It will be interesting to hear what they tell you.

Garmin 496

After talking to Richard VanGrunsven at Sun 'n Fun last year, my wife entered and won a Garmin 496 in a drawing at the Wipaire Aviation vendor's booth. Now I have to buy one after winning one?

Back