What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monument Valley-Lake Powell RV-10 Trip

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Last week we flew the -10 down to Lake Powell to go out on the lake for a few days and do some hiking and surfing and ended up adding onto the trip and seeing unexpected friends. It all started Wednesday morning when we departed to Page, AZ with weather to the south and west. The forecast was for some thunderstorm activity but pre-flight checks showed everything would clear Page.
Anna is now 7 months old and has been on a few trips in the plane but this trip was the most fun yet with her. They sure do grow up fast.
About halfway to Page the weather really started building around Page so I diverted to Halls Crossing (Cal Black) to wait and see what the weather would do.

Here is Anna in the plane ready to get going.
1047582994_dhRvy-XL.jpg

Here is a picture to the west as the storms were building and moving north.
1047586786_E8UoZ-XL.jpg

After landing at Halls Crossing I called my friends and decided to head somewhere else for the night since the weather was not looking good most of the day. We had always wanted to land at Monument Valley and the weather looked great just to the south of us so that is where we headed.

Anna was happy to hang out for a few minutes at Halls Crossing.
1047587588_qPnyZ-XL.jpg

The flight over to Monument Valley was only about 20 minutes but was very beautiful. A storm had come through earlier that morning and red rocks had pools of water and streams everywhere.
1047588162_C62bB-XL.jpg

1047588744_pU5AZ-XL.jpg

1047589158_g5mi9-XL.jpg

We flew around Monument Valley for a few minutes before landing at the airport that was paved when the Red Bull Air Racing series was there.
(My previous Red Bull write-up:http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d=1#post138271)

1047590412_jYpBK-XL.jpg

1047590681_o8kS9-XL-1.jpg

The airport says it is private and you need permission but when I called and asked they really did not care and just said "no problem".
1047591327_T8Bac-XL.jpg

After landing a truck must have seen us land from Gouldings Lodge http://www.gouldings.com/ and they came to pick us up. The lodge is just across the street and up a hill. If you did not have a 7 month old and all her stuff it would be an easy walk. The rooms are just OK for the $185/night they charge. They say they are full almost every day from spring to fall because of the number of tour buses they have come through there.
The views from the rooms are great, here is a picture from our balcony.

1047592483_dBRbQ-XL.jpg

A picture of the hotel
1047592999_cjKNn-XL.jpg

We had a great day at Monument Valley just hanging out with Anna and hiking around a little. The red rocks are always very beautiful and you never get tired of it.

They have a pretty good restaurant at the hotel too, it is always fun to have some fry bread. There is a market within walking distance if you want to buy some food.

1047594760_njxKV-XL.jpg

1047592820_H6Xah-XL.jpg

This stop was completely unexpected but we are glad we did it. It is so great to have XM weather in the plane to make decisions like this.
The next morning was one those mornings you wish they all were like. The air was crisp with no wind and just a little moisture in the air. As we ate breakfast there were powered parachutes taking off from the airport and exploring Monument Valley. We were able to get another ride to the plane and were off to Page, AZ to catch up with our friends. The flight over was only 30 minutes but it was just amazing, I did not want to land.

1047596296_2w2Gc-XL.jpg

1047595663_Uu59Z-XL.jpg

1047598270_k8or7-XL.jpg

Lake Powell through the low clouds
1047598654_msvD2-XL.jpg

1047598877_34qbN-XL.jpg

1047599750_9voc5-XL.jpg

If you ever get the chance to stay on Lake Powell in a houseboat, boat, or in tents, don't pass it up. It is such an amazing place to be and if you have AT&T you will have no cell coverage so no one can bother you:D
We were on a houseboat which really spoils you. They rent houseboats and you can usually find deals for a week. With 2 or more families sharing it is very reasonable. We have had over 30 people on this boat before and most sleep on the roof. The stars at night will be brighter than you have ever seen in your life. We also did a hike called West Canyon that was very cool. We camped at Labyrinth Bay which also has a very nice slot canyon.
A few pictures of the Lake.
1047601377_GRmzz-XL.jpg

1047611642_kXjrX-XL.jpg

1047612867_mm3Tx-XL.jpg

1047612076_yeXUs-XL.jpg

If you have never tried surfing behind a boat you have got to do it someday. You pull up on a rope and then just throw the rope in the boat and surf about 2-6 feet behind the boat. This boat is loaded with water ballast and makes an incredible wave.
1047608780_6NW9j-XL.jpg

This is in the back of Labyrinth Canyon using a wave runner to get back as far as I could.
629681047_D6mpg-XL.jpg

This owl has been hanging out for a few years here.
629676520_KNxRX-XL.jpg

Here are some pictures from hiking up West Canyon.
629701175_rv8ph-XL.jpg

629703419_hAizD-XL.jpg

629698665_S6PjZ-XL.jpg

I couldn't take the camera beyond here because of a swim in freezing water but it was very cool just beyond that picture. You'll have to see for yourself I guess.
629712059_zqvXy-XL.jpg

629716279_A7CXh-XL.jpg

We thought our trip was about done on Saturday when everyone went home. We decided to hang out on the boat for one more night and while I was driving the houseboat back to the dock I sent a text to Tim and Andrea Olson letting them know we were hanging out for a night and they had a free place to stay if they wanted. I know they were flying their RV-10 from Wisconsin out west that day for a family week long vacation. They had originally planned to fly to Oregon first but I thought maybe there was bad weather up north and they would do their trip in reverse. They received my text while they were getting fuel in Kansas and an hour later I received a text saying they were on their way! Amazing! They flew to Page, AZ with one stop in Kansas.

Anna just loves their two daughters so it was fun to have them stay with us Saturday night on the boat. The next day we took two wave runners out for a little exploring and the girls did the slide off the back before we headed for the airport.

1047618569_rXMRb-XL.jpg

1047618914_xFAvT-XL.jpg

1047619571_T5FBf-XL.jpg

Me with Tim and Andrea's daughters.
1047619961_FAX9V-XL.jpg

We departed Page AZ after some lunch and flew with Tim and Andrea to Marble Canyon before departing back to Salt Lake and they continued their trip onto San Diego. It was a 5 minute flight with some more great picture opportunities. The Marble Canyon runway has really degraded from a couple of years ago and is in desperate need of repaving. Hopefully it will be completed soon.
1047620751_roZXM-XL.jpg

1047620967_nmQSp-XL.jpg

1047621534_n4WKV-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Jealous I am.

Scott, thanks for the wonderful write up.

Houseboating on Lake Powell is on my bucket list of vacations.

GREAT photos:D

Looks like fun!

I agree with Mike S. Those pictures really look great. I got to do my first flying vacation last summer - flying from Seattle to Utah, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin (Oshkosh), and then back home via Mt Rushmore. My son and I spent three weeks just bumming around.

Your write-up is now near the top of my "bucket list" of places to go!

Great Write Up & PIC's Scott

My youngest daughter and I flew my 7a out last August through Monument Valley on our way to KSDL, however we did not land. The views are Awesome.

Like Mike, my 10 is almost complete! First engine start, 10-8-10-10 and inspection is scheduled for 10-30-10,,

I'm looking forward to taking the entire family on these trips!

RV10,, 10-10!!

Kenny Gene
294TC RV7a 9-07 590 hrs
484TC RV10 10-10!!

Excellent pics as usual! Glad you made it through the weather to spend some enjoyable days. We were going to go last weekend, and canceled the hotels at Page because of the weather. Of course, most of the week, the weather is great! And.............it looks like were canceling again today, because of the upcoming weather. Maybe next month... as I've been there several times on the weekend before Thanksgiving, with good weather.

So.............I'll show these pics to the wife, and imagine we're there.. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Page Weather

Out of all the days we planned on flying into Page we picked the day when tornadoes ripped through Flagstaff and there was one tornado reported around Lake Powell. We had one small cell come through Monument Valley late in the afternoon but it was perfect weather the next 5 days.

Good luck on your trip.

Scott,

What kind of camera are you using? I'm sure it's the photographer and not the camera but I can use all the help I can get! :D

Scott,
You must have the cleanest windows of any RV around. Most of your pix look like they were taken in clean air without any glass or plexi between them.
I was able to do four camping trips on Lake Powell back in the late '60s and early '70s. The water was a LOT lower then than now. With the dry conditions it may get back there eventually. Great write up as usual. Thanks!! Dan

Camera

Scott,

What kind of camera are you using? I'm sure it's the photographer and not the camera but I can use all the help I can get! :D

I actually think the camera is what takes the great pictures, not me. If it looks nice, point the camera and push the button.

Well, the short answer is a Lumix DMC-LX3K. It is made by Panasonic. Here is a link to this camera. http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-LX3K_11002_7000000000000005702
I currently shoot with the Canon G10 and this Lumix. I like both for different reasons. The Lumix has some "dummy" settings that are nice like a setting for taking pictures out of an airplane. It basically sets the focus to infinity and makes for some great shots, but the G10 has never let me down.

Now, the longer answer. I am a point and shoot guy so I have tried quite a few and will give you my favorite. There are three camera's out there today in the point and shoot category that are incredible.
For a small camera, the Canon S95 and the replacement to mine is the new Panasonic LX5. Canon's new G12 is great too.
The only thing I don't like on the Lumix is the lens cap and the flash is manual.
On all my cameras I have usually spent around $400-$500 for a good point and shoot. You would not go wrong with any of these and they will give you some great shots. You won't be sorry.

Lumix LX5 info: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/index.html
Canon G12 Info:http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12
Canon S95 info:http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_s95

Comparison of S95 and LX5:http://thephoblographer.com/2010/09/01/which-one-should-i-get-canon-s95-vs-panasonic-lx-5k/

Lake Powell Water Level

Scott,
You must have the cleanest windows of any RV around. Most of your pix look like they were taken in clean air without any glass or plexi between them.
I was able to do four camping trips on Lake Powell back in the late '60s and early '70s. The water was a LOT lower then than now. With the dry conditions it may get back there eventually. Great write up as usual. Thanks!! Dan

The lake started filling in 1963 so you were not there too long after.
It might have actually already been to the elevation when you were there.
Attached is a graph I made from data off the internet on Lake Powell.
The blue line is the elevation of the lake and the other lines are inflow and outflow.
You can see the rain/snow is definitely seasonal and is probably still too early to put any trend lines through but I did anyway. On average the output from the dam has been constant with some peaks, and the lake is currently filling up again. It will max out again I bet in the next 10 years and they will have to open all the valves.
One thing that is obvious is that the flow never drops below a minimum flow which is sometimes higher than that years inflow which just says the dam is working to level load the water supply to its "customers".

1057805966_mARyv-XL.jpg

Rich and I did a similar trip in our 7A back in 2004. Lake Powell and Monument Valley are awesome places. We did the houseboat thing in 2008. Truly incredible experiences, by land, sea and air.

Thanks for sharing,

Roberta

Great Trip Report as usual

Scott, I always enjoy your trip reports and incredible pictures. Plus your destinations are always good. Monument Valley and house boat on Lake Powell are definately on my bucket list!

What a great trip, Scott!

Carrie and I always are ready for a Schmidt trip report. We have over a 100 hours on our RV-12 now and are ready to venture out to Southern California and Arizona. We drove through the Lake Powell area on our way from Dallas to Prescott, AZ last month during a really hot spell without air conditioning! I really could have enjoyed a few days on the lake...lol. Maybe next year!

Jay and Carrie Sluiter
N124CS
RV-12, Albany, OR (S12)

I always love reading your trip reports!! thanks for keeping my dream fueled! and excellent pics too!! :D

I was starting to go through the Schmidt family trips withdraws! Can you take and document more trips??? :D

Bob

replies.....

I can't believe how old your daughter is already!

We cannot believe it ourselves. I was just talking to a new grandpa and mentioned how much I already miss that age where you can hold them for hours. Now Anna is just way too active and wants to see, touch and eat everything. We say hi to her planes in her room every morning and she always has the biggest grin on her face.

We are actually in Houston right now and will be heading to the airshow tomorrow with a bunch of friends. More opportunity to get her excited about aviation.

Carrie and I always are ready for a Schmidt trip report. We have over a 100 hours on our RV-12 now and are ready to venture out to Southern California and Arizona. We drove through the Lake Powell area on our way from Dallas to Prescott, AZ last month during a really hot spell without air conditioning! I really could have enjoyed a few days on the lake...lol. Maybe next year!

Jay and Carrie Sluiter
N124CS
RV-12, Albany, OR (S12)

That is great. Please come through Salt Lake someday and give me a call. I'm sure I can find room for you at our airport.
My dad and I just finished the wings to the RV-12 and will be starting on the fuselage in the next week or so. The -12 sure is a fun plane to build because of all the work and planning that Van's did. I got to fly one at Oshkosh and just loved it. I thought it had much lighter controls than the -10 and the visibility was incredible. It should be a great photography platform.

I was starting to go through the Schmidt family trips withdraws! Can you take and document more trips???

Bob

Dang, I am sorry about that.(LOL)
That is one withdrawl we definitely do not want a twelve step program for.
We will try to do better in the future.:rolleyes:
I had to cancel a couple of trips due to Anna just not feeling 100% but she is just a blast to travel with now. It is great that Doug has this site so we all can share and learn how to put more fun in all our lives.

Back