What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EDC-D10A Service bulletin (remote magnetometer)

davcor

Not sure if this has been covered before but...

I was working on the install for the (EDC-10A) remote compass yesterday and found this service bulletin on Dynon's web site.

I have two reasons for this post.

1) Wanted to make sure everyone knew about the SB
2) Curious whether folks have performed the mod or sent the unit to Dynon.

I will call Dynon after the holiday to discuss.

Please do not rely on this extract from the SB, but go to the Dynon site and review their posting.

From the SB:

EDC-D10A remote magnetometer service
bulletin
Date: November 1, 2007

An underperforming component (a diode) used in some EDC-D10A remote
magnetometers causes "type 2" OATs to erroneously report higher OAT than is actually
being experienced by the probe.

This problem does not affect all EDC-D10A units; but of those it does, the issue exists in
two different forms depending on manufacture date. One form is more pronounced than
the other. In both cases, OAT will be reported higher than actual at lower temperatures.
Because temperature is erroneously reported higher than it should be, the one possible
safety concern that could arise from an incorrect OAT reading is eliminated. If you are
relying on your EFIS's OAT-based density altitude calculation, it will be computed as a
higher altitude than correct when the OAT is reporting a high temperature. If you are
further using that density altitude calculations to compute runway requirements, you will
end up with a longer computed runway requirement. Though of course not optimal, this
will not compromise safety by allowing you to think you can take off from a shorter
runway than you really can.

Had to do mine.

Mine had the diode even though I bought it recently because I got it from Spruce and it had evidently been sitting on the shelf for awhile. (Wondered why I had the same temperature all the way from the ground to 10000 feet!)

Used some small fingernail clippers for the close quarters lead cutting.

I opened mine up and the diode was not there.

I modified mine last week. I was able to get to the diode without removing the unit from the airframe. A soldering iron was used to extract it. Glad you are pointing out this SB. I don't normally look at the Dynon site for SBs but I had noticed an issue with the OAT.

Ken

I had to modify one of the ones in Louise's airplane when we did the panel rebuild - took abotu 5 minutes - piece of cake.

Paul

If you still want to call and discus, we're in tomorrow, so you don't need to wait until Tuesday.

This is a simple modification that anyone can do. Just follow the SB instructions on the Dynon website.

The biggest challenge for me was crawling in the aft fuselage!

V

Back