What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Muscular Dystrophy Passenger

LarGriff

I have a friend with a son who has MD and dearly wants a ride in my RV-7A. He WILL get his wish! But he's about 150 pounds and I'm just not sure how to get him in and out of the plane. Although he's mentally alert and can talk very well, he's pretty much physically imobilized. I'm thinking maybe a hoist/sling hung from the perling in my hangar. Any other experiences out there?

Larry G

Another consideration is supporting his head while seated in the aircraft. I arranged a ride for a child with MS last year (we used a Cardinal not an RV) and finding a way to support his head was an issue. I know they resolved it, but i'm not sure exactly what they did... I think it involved using the seat-back from his wheelchair, which had an integral head/neck support. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend on the day it all happened, so I don't have more details, but hopefully that helps a bit.

I've been working this issue too.

Linda has MS and can walk with help, but getting in and out of the 7A is a real challenge. We've done it without a lift, but in your situation, a lift seems the only way to go. Feb Kitplanes pp 39 had an article about a Highlander owner who built a portable lift. For your occasional purposes, the hangar superstructure would probably be easiest. Check out the Harbor Freight 12V electric winches if you want to get fancy...

... but in your situation, a lift seems the only way to go. Feb Kitplanes pp 39 had an article about a Highlander owner who built a portable lift. For your occasional purposes, the hangar superstructure would probably be easiest. Check out the Harbor Freight 12V electric winches if you want to get fancy...

Larry,

Send me a note, if you want some more pictures of that lift. Keep in mind, that lift would have to be up-sized to work with an RV.

The other option is to build a large platform on wheels that you can slide over your wing. Then you can get your passenger up over the wing and level with the side rail of your RV. With someone inside the plane and another on the platform, you should be able to get him in and out. The lift or hoist sounds like the best way to go, if you have a slider, but will not work with a tip-up.

WAY TO GO!!

Larry,

I can't add much to what has already been suggested for getting him in/out of the airplane, but let me be the first to say thanks!

I know you know this but whatever gyrations you have to go through to make this flight happen will be well worth it when you see the look of joy and excitement on his face!

My mother was in an accident at age 20 and spent the rest of her life paralyzed in a wheel chair. She didn't allow it to stop her. Unfortunately, other people let it stop them.

When folks like you look BEYOND the physical challenges and just "make it happen", you move to a whole new level of respect from regular guys like me!

Once again, thanks for making this happen!

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. How about a parachute harness? Seems like that would be a good way to attach a hoist. Where could I find one?

Larry

I don't know if you have any rock climbers or climbing gyms in the area, but a climbers harness and with a willing rock climber, it could easily be rigged if you have something to attach a rope to above. As mentioned above, this would work more easily with a slider, but if you have a tip up and remove the struts it could still be made to work.

Thanks for your efforts. If you are successful, he will remember the flight for the rest of his life.

I gave a guy with MD a ride in my -6. It took four of us to lift him in the plane. Two lifted him out of the wheelchair to one guy on the wingwalk then I helped him inside the airplane. Two of us had a hold of him at all times. Really wasn't a big deal.

Check with the family. He may have a "sling" that is used to get in/out of bed. My mom had one of those. It would stay under him while flying and then you'd just hook it up when needed to lift him out.

Another consideration is supporting his head while seated in the aircraft. I arranged a ride for a child with MS last year (we used a Cardinal not an RV) and finding a way to support his head was an issue. I know they resolved it, but i'm not sure exactly what they did... I think it involved using the seat-back from his wheelchair, which had an integral head/neck support. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend on the day it all happened, so I don't have more details, but hopefully that helps a bit.

Soft collar. when i broke my neck i had a solid collar at first, then the soft one.. here are pics.. i'm sure you could pic one up at a physical therapy clinic..
sorry about the pic.. the tounge was a joke. (i was pretty heavily medicated) and it's the only pic i have..
web.jpg

and here's the soft one..
web.jpg

Last edited:
For the head stabilazation you can also use one of those inflatable collars people use to sleep in an airliner seat, Wal-Mart sells them. If you do give a MD person a ride, just be careful of the legs, I gave a ride in my Decathlon and during a roll, his feet came up and interfered with the stick. His next ride I loosely Duct taped his legs to the front seat (his Idea!). The Decathlon worked great getting him in/out with the removable door, I.m going to try the climbing harness to get him in the RV-4. - Ben

Hoist vs. Winch

Larry,

You are on the right track in your post when you mentioned using a hoist. Several other posters mentioned using a winch. The two are different animals and often confused as being the same. A winch drags weight while a hoist lifts it straight up. A winch will not have the power to lift the same weight as the hoist when rated the same. A hoist's rating lets you know it will lift the rated weight.

I flew a Young Eagle several years ago who was bigger than me and had some trouble controlling his movements. I took the rear stick out of my RV-8A to preclude any control inputs. This is a wonderful thing you are doing and the young man will remember this flight for the rest of him life. You will too!

Jim

Where did Sam's post go? Was it really that offensive or off-topic? He raised a legitimate RV-related safety consideration in a polite way.

Where did Sam's post go? Was it really that offensive or off-topic? He raised a legitimate RV-related safety consideration in a polite way.

I deleted it, Joe, decided it was better if I didn't stick my nose into other people's business. ;)

Thank you for your kind comment.

Back