- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Elevator trim

I recently ordered my tail section without electric trim. Now Iam wondering if I should have got it. I currently fly a Cessna 150 with manual trim and like the feel of it. But I have flown a DA20 Katana with electric trim and liked that for that aircraft. Just looking for some opinions on both to maybe help me decide.

John Jacobsen
Old 01-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Truth be told, if I had to do it over again I'd go with manual trim on my RV-6. Better control and less to break.

Best,
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Im thinkin keep it simple. But not having flown one I dont know the feel of either. Probably stick with manual though. Like you said Doug, less to break. :-)

John
Old 01-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

I really like the manual trim. I had electric trim in my SeaRey and found it too touchy and annoying. I would also prefer manual flaps, but that is no longer available.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Administrator

RE: manual flaps.

I have to agree w/Roberta on the manual flaps. One thing I like to do on landing (tailwheel) right as all three wheels are lightly dancing on the ground in the landing flare is to reach over and whack the flap locking button. The flaps raise in about a third of a second and the plane STICKS to the ground. It is quite a sensation to feel the plane's wing unload precisely when you want it.

I can land in 1,000 ft now consistantly with this technique.

Like Roberta said....I find the electric trim 'touchy', but certainly understand its appeal.

Best,
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 PM

Anyone have experience with the trim speed-switching devices that are available on the web? The only one I've seen is at http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/tcm.html.
RV-7 N701ED FLYING!
Nashua, NH (KASH)
Old 01-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Electric/Manual Trim

John, the upside of manual trim is that it is simpler and more reliable than electric trim. It also gives you finer control over the trim setting than the electric system.

On the other hand, the cable takes an entire wire routing channel through the spar, which is a problem when it comes to routing antennae. Also, the manual trim knob gets in the way when you are crawling under the panel.

Vern Little RV-9A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJacobsen
I recently ordered my tail section without electric trim. Now Iam wondering if I should have got it. I currently fly a Cessna 150 with manual trim and like the feel of it. But I have flown a DA20 Katana with electric trim and liked that for that aircraft. Just looking for some opinions on both to maybe help me decide.

John Jacobsen
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 AM

Re: Thermos post; for speed control, i used the advanced-control-systems board, makers of the ACS 2002 engine monitoring system, (now named advanced-flight-systems). it's about 2"x3" and weighs less than a pack of smokes. i mounted on the sub panel. works well. i also have the ACS 2002, Great unit!

David-S
RV-7 Flying

Last edited by David-S : 01-05-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Manual trim

When I orderd my tail kit (wayyyyy back in 1997!!) I talked to Ken in the Vans Booth at Osh. When I said I was going with manual trim, he looked up, and with a sage look in his eyes said "good".

Regards,

Jeff Orear
Old 01-05-2005, 10:06 AM

Smile Electric Trim Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJacobsen

John Jacobsen
John,
I did the same thing with my RV-6, manual trim and then I changed my mind. GretzAero.com has a great set up, you mount the pitch trim servo underneath the empenage fairing and then he has a cable that runs the same route as the manual trim does. I'm very happy with this set up