After the lower cap was done I moved on to the top of the rudder and vertical. These were in no way aligned and I really didn't like the look. After some suggestions in another thread that leaned away from just filling in 1/2" of micro and sanding, I ended up having to cut and reglass it into a closer shape. After that, it was closed out and then covered with micro and sanded into a better matching shape. It got more final sanding and some primer, but the pictures show how the shape took a major change.
So now it was time to fit the empannage fairing, and the supplied van's fairing just fit like ****. It took two of us to pull it into position, and even after that, there were areas with 1/8" - 1/4" gaps between the skin and fairing. We decided to toss it and make our own.
It still needs more sanding, but it fits a hundred times better than the supplied one. I ended up trimming the side skirts to the canopy before setting the final height, and that turned out to be a bad idea. Between the gaps I made up front, and the extra width I had in my canopy frame in order to let it open/close without catching the turtledeck skins, I'm basically backed into the corner of doing a fiberglass canopy skirt as well. So I started that....
Hopefully I can finish up the fiberglass work by the end of the year and move on to other things. I put the deposit down on the avionics panel today. We went with Aerotronics for the panel build. Our build slot is January, so I have a 2 months to finish fiberglass and get the engine hung and plumbed. I also got on sam james build list back in February and got word last week that the cowl, air box, and plenum were ready to ship. Hoping to have that here as early Xmas present to myself. Placed a bunch of orders with spruce for antennas, smoke system, oil accumulator, oil cooler and mounts, etc. Also got with TS flight lines and ordered stainless brake lines and all my fuel lines so I can get the pump and selector in and plumbed.