Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Pneumatic rivet squeezer... luxury or necessity?

I’m in the formative stages of assembling my tools and getting my garage ready to start an RV12is build in the near future. As most of the rivets are of the pulled variety, would there be any merit to the idea of just going with a manual squeezer and saving the $700 or so a pneumatic squeezer would cost (new)? I know I’ll save time with the air powered gun, and I do plan on buying a pneumatic pop rivet gun for sure, but would the extra $500 I could save end up being a one way trip to Popeye forearm hell?
Old 06-11-2021, 07:29 PM

Default Luxury

IMHO. No need for pneumatic; and I never wanted to run the compressor forever. I actually put some padding on my manual squeezer so I would t wake the kids with the clicking of the handles late at night.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-11-2021, 07:38 PM

How many driven or squeezed rivets are there in an RV-12, what size are they, and how many can be reached with a sqeezer?

If you can get to them with a squeezer and there aren't a lot of them, I'd look to borrow a squeezer, rather than spend $500 on a tool that will be of limited use.

And if they are 1/8" rivets or smaller, I'd be looking for a manual squeezer.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
How many driven or squeezed rivets are there in an RV-12, what size are they, and how many can be reached with a sqeezer?

If you can get to them with a squeezer and there aren't a lot of them, I'd look to borrow a squeezer, rather than spend $500 on a tool that will be of limited use.

And if they are 1/8" rivets or smaller, I'd be looking for a manual squeezer.
I really think you’re right. I don’t know the exact percentage but the vast majority of rivets on a 12 are pop rivets. I do have a bit of an advantage in that I work at Aircraft Spruce so the employee discount will help take the edge off of whatever I end up buying but we have a heavy duty manual squeezer set that comes with the die set and a bench mounting plate that is looking better and better to me the more I think about it...
Old 06-11-2021, 07:46 PM

No driven rivets in an RV-12. Any non-pulled rivets can be reached with a 3" yoke. But pretty much any rivet that CAN be reached with a squeezer is squeezed, not pulled. Same for dimpling.

At least, that's my take reading the plans.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 PM

Default Definitely a luxury

That being said, I began with a hand squeezer and then transitioned to a pneumatic squeezer. I like many things that I am able to do with the pneumatic squeezer. But it is a certainty that you will find some rivets or dimples where a hand squeezer functions far better than pneumatic.

To each their own, but I do like some of the time saving it provides and the resale value is pretty decent. If I were buying again, I'd put serious consideration into a Numatix.
-Wings complete
-Fuselage in progress
My build log
Old 06-11-2021, 08:04 PM

If I were starting a new 12 build, I would invest in one of thes instead of a pneumatic puller.

https://www.redtoolstore.com/product...AaAsjeEALw_wcB
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 PM

I agree that all the solids can be squeezed, but a rivet gun made it easier o install the baggage floor rivets to the landing gear channel.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:28 PM

I found the Cleaveland Main Squeeze (https://www.cleavelandtool.com/colle...ze-kit-schkitw) to be extremely useful during my RV-12 build. Its pricey but made dimpling and squeezing the solid rivets a breeze. IMHO no need for a pneumatic riveter -- nice but not necessary.
EAA #23982 (circa 1965) - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B 2020) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 1,060+ hours (as of Aug 2021)!
VAF donation through June 2022.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
I found the Cleaveland Main Squeeze (https://www.cleavelandtool.com/colle...ze-kit-schkitw) to be extremely useful during my RV-12 build. Its pricey but made dimpling and squeezing the solid rivets a breeze. IMHO no need for a pneumatic riveter -- nice but not necessary.
I checked that link out... looks like a great tool but hopefully the “Shipping late January due to Covid impact on supply chain” note meant LAST January!!?!