-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:06 PM

Do you know there is a gate at the 2 hotels where you can hop off the busses and escape for a break?

We met Van himself on a golf cart ride when he stopped as he had seats open. This was after the 2018 Sunday arrival madness, which he had been in and was quite fun to speak with.

Google pin:

Dropped pin
Near Oshkosh, WI
https://maps.app.goo.gl/WkJcQeUqM55vEm976

If you camp in Homebuilts, they have chopped minivans as "Welcome Wagons" and will help keep you mobile enough, also.

The red roof inn at the Google pin also sells parking and as long as the interior busline is running is a town-ez option, rental car, walk, buy a used bike at goodwill or a vendor special, get rideshare or just avoid some parking lot traffic.

Last edited by moosepileit : 01-15-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
We normally have a rental car at OSH. My wife and two of the kids fly into Milwaukee and drive up. We park the 195 in showplane parking, near the ultra light area. Outside the ultra light entrance gate is a family that rents parking spaces (Waupan Rd and Knapp St intersection). I think itís $10-$15 per night. Itís very convenient and nice to go into town for something other than a burger.

There might be something similar near the experiment parking area. If not head down to the ultra light entrance.
Thanks for a helpful and informative response without the opinions.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:14 AM

Default Whaaaaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcladrv View Post
Thanks for a helpful and informative response without the opinions.
Huh. Not sure I've ever seen a post on this site without an opinion. Like this one, for example..........
Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 AM

All the above is good advice. I chair the homebuilt camping area along with a very merry band of others. Send me a pm and Iíll ask about parking overnight. Last year EAA intended to make significant changes to parking and the traffic flow. Itís been off my radar for a while but Iíll try to get back up to speed.
Jerry
Cygnet SF-2A, refurbished and sold
Murphy Super Rebel, built and flying
The Pedal RV, designed and built
Vans, next build
Old 01-16-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
Huh. Not sure I've ever seen a post on this site without an opinion. Like this one, for example..........
Well, if folks would actually read the OPís guestions and posts, he clearly states he has been to Oshkosh Airventure around 25 times. He states he wants a rental car and wants to know where he can park it nearby his camp site. Harping that he does not NEED a rental car is of no help to him.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 01-16-2021, 07:17 PM

David,

Thank you for helping to keep this thread on track.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:24 PM

Harping. Huh. I believe the purpose of this forum is for people interested in RVs in particular and flying in general. The heading for the OP's text was 'OSH planning'. That can include much more than the intent of his original posting: where to park a car he wants there. At last count 1,245 people had read this thread and I would bet most have not been to OSH 25 times and they would have gleaned some useful information from the subsequent posts.

For example: I expanded on my original post as I had information about OSH '21 that likely no one else on this list knew. Had nothing to do with renting cars. Had to do with "OSH planning....."

ANYway................
Old 01-16-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
They are planning on people attending will mostly be vaccinated.
I suspect that prediction might fall into the category of wild speculation.

In the meantime Iíve just been reading through several threads on VansAirforce from around March 2020 pertaining to last yearís event (ultimately cancelled). Some of the posts are prophetic....some are hysterically funny....some are grossly incorrect ...and others are just plain silly. Hereís some of the predictions:

1. That Oshkosh 2020 would certainly be cancelled.
2. That Oshkosh 2020 would certainly go ahead.
3. That the ďentire US population would be exposed to Covid 19 by the end of April 2020Ē.
4. That the EAA might financially collapse if Oshkosh 2020 didnít proceed.

And then there were the posters who said they were going to fly to Oshkosh in 2020 even if it was cancelled....just to sit around on their own in the camping area. Pretty desperate in my view.

This year, as last year, Iím not placing too much importance on speculation that appears to emanate purely from wishful thinking.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Default An answer

A direct answer to your question is that you can park the car directly west of HBC. I believe that is the Orange lot. The HBC is usually the last few rows of the overall homebuilt area. Having a car has some advantages.

As far as getting a car, check or put an ad on Craigslist looking for a private car that you can rent. I know several that have done that. It is usually much cheaper and very convenient. I have volunteered flying the Bell 47's for the last ten years. I didn't want to tent camp anymore. I rent a 5th wheel from a private couple. They have become great friends. They set it up for me and have a 6er of Spotted Cow iced down when I arrive.

Lots of ways to get around!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcladrv View Post
For those in the know: If I fly in and camp with my plane, where could I park a rental car during my stay at Airventure where I could access it somewhat conveniently (I know that's a relative term) and park it overnight with minimal cost?
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Flying, in paint
EMS Bell 407,
Eurocopter 350 A-Star Driver
Old 01-18-2021, 09:45 AM

My group had a car twice in past years:
2003 - We were camped in the North 40 (pre-RV days). Our friends airlined to Chicago, rented a car, then parked in what is now H Lot, on the north side of HBC, while camping under our wings.
2010 - Sploshkosh - We and most everyone else camped at Fond du Lac. One of the guys in our group had a brother living nearby who let us borrow his Chevy Suburban for the week. The Hilton Garden Inn graciously let us park the Suburban in their lot all day long.