VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 01-05-2021, 10:29 AM
dothetime dothetime is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Boynton Beach, Florida
Posts: 129
Default BFR during COVID

I know it's not called BFR, but my flight review was due 12/31/2020 and I know the FAA extended it two months to 1/31/2021
I am not comfortable doing the flight review at this time.

So my choices are:

1-do the review and risk my health and the health of my 95 year old mom residing with me temporarily due to COVID
2-just keep flying without it.
3-stop flying until the threat is over. Probably 2-4 months until the vaccine is available.

What would you do, or what are you doing about yours?

Don't flame me, I'm sure I'm not the only pilot with this question.

Dave
  #2  
Old 01-05-2021, 10:46 AM
rocketman1988 rocketman1988 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sunman, IN
Posts: 2,343
Default rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetime View Post
I know it's not called BFR, but my flight review was due 12/31/2020 and I know the FAA extended it two months to 1/31/2021
I am not comfortable doing the flight review at this time.

So my choices are:

1-do the review and risk my health and the health of my 95 year old mom residing with me temporarily due to COVID
2-just keep flying without it.
3-stop flying until the threat is over. Probably 2-4 months until the vaccine is available.

What would you do, or what are you doing about yours?

Don't flame me, I'm sure I'm not the only pilot with this question.

Dave

Realistically, you have to decide...I completely understand fear for your Mom. That kind of makes the decision for you.

Not sure any CFI here is going to tell you to just keep flying beyond the date (extension), as that would be advising you to violate the rules intentionally...the FAA takes a VERY dim view on intentional disregard of the rules.

Stop flying until the threat is over isn't really viable either. The virus is worldwide; it is not ever going to go away so it becomes how we deal with it. Vaccines are here and that is good, however, even with the vaccine, the threat may only be reduced and will never go away. Just look at all of the other viruses out there...

So it really comes right back to you, and what you are comfortable with.

I wish you luck; it is a really tough call...
__________________
Bob
Aerospace Engineer '88

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
  #3  
Old 01-05-2021, 10:55 AM
AlpineYoda AlpineYoda is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 239
Default

I did my BFR last week. I put it off for a few months due to knee surgery and fell out of currency.

The instructor and I did the classroom portion over Zoom to limit contact. The flight school where I did all my training and where I rent C172s until my -10 is finished now has a nurse on site that screens everyone, including temperatures, which limits some risk.

We flew with masks on and I kept the vent open and blowing at my face, despite the low temperatures in Colorado in December.

If you can get your CFI to take a covid test, at least you know (s)he is relatively safe. And then take a bunch of precautions.

I would be loathe to overfly the BFR and ignore it. If there is an incident, you will find yourself in a world of trouble.
__________________
RV-10 build blog -- https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7ZSwfzr2g
Started 12/19/2019
Engine hung 1/9/2021
Panel in 2Q 2021
Flying summer 2021?
Going for the build speed record. Thanks lockdowns!

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
  #4  
Old 01-05-2021, 10:56 AM
odens_14 odens_14 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 316
Default

It's my understanding that extension has been extended multiple times and my guess is that it will keep getting bumped back until some semblance of "normal" returns. whatever that ends up being.

Eventually they will stop the extension and you'll have to make that decision then; IMO that will likely be after your 2-4 month timeframe for #3 though.
__________________
Chris Odens
Alexandria, MN
RV-7 N914N
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
  #5  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:16 AM
MacCool's Avatar
MacCool MacCool is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: central Minnesota
Posts: 354
Default

I did my BFR last year during the peak of the COVID crush. Everything was pretty much shut down, but flight instruction got labeled an "essential service", so CFI's that wanted to at the local FBO could instruct. Mine was OK with it. He wore a mask, didn't require that I do.

A few months later, I bought an airplane and did transition training with a friend who is a CFI. Covid never came up. He provided another BFR as part of the transition training.
  #6  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Nihon_Ni's Avatar
Nihon_Ni Nihon_Ni is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 344
Default

I wouldn't recommend ignoring the extension date and continuing to fly. If something happens and you bend some metal, it's likely that your insurance company won't pay if you aren't a legal PIC, which you wouldn't be if you proceed beyond the BFR extension.

Another option would be to look at the FAA's Wings program. If you have a local school with a simulator, you could probably find three flight activities that you could perform in a simulator, which you could do sitting farther away from a CFI than you would in an airplane. If nothing else, you'd at least be in a room much larger than a cockpit. You have to do three knowledge activities and three flight activities to complete a Wings Phase, and when you do, it counts as a flight review.

Alternatively, you might look for a tandem airplane to fly for a flight review. That could get you farther away from the other person than a side-by-side airplane. You might even be able to fly it with the doors/windows open -- something like a Cub, Champ, Citabria, etc. However, many of these planes have conventional landing gear, so if you don't have a TW endorsement you might have a hard time finding a CFI who will sign you off for a Flight Review on your first flight in a TW, but it's theoretically possible.
__________________
Rob K

RV-8 N884RA under construction
  #7  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:49 AM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 7,170
Default

You could look for an fbo or other service that has an approved simulator. This won’t be cheap, but the device should be cleanable, and the cfi can maintain social distance.
This is a tough, personal choice. As a cfi I have given several reviews, and received one myself, with everyone wearing a mask. It is definitely not ideal, and I would advise against it for anyone with any underlying health issues.
  #8  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:01 PM
RV7A Flyer's Avatar
RV7A Flyer RV7A Flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Posts: 2,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
It's my understanding that extension has been extended multiple times and my guess is that it will keep getting bumped back until some semblance of "normal" returns. whatever that ends up being.

Eventually they will stop the extension and you'll have to make that decision then; IMO that will likely be after your 2-4 month timeframe for #3 though.
I might be wrong, but the SFAR is for some pretty specific categories of operations, and just general flying around for fun isn't one of them:

https://www.faa.gov/coronavirus/regu...COVID-FAQs.pdf

That's what I get from it, at least...someone else may have better info.
__________________
2019 Dues paid!
  #9  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:12 PM
Robin8er Robin8er is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Socal
Posts: 480
Default

You could pay for a CFI to take a rapid covid test, then fly right after they have their test results. I don't think that's unreasonable as long as you pay for it.
__________________
RV-8 N695RA flying
Working on an RV-4

Born to fly, forced to work
  #10  
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM
airguy's Avatar
airguy airguy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden City, Tx
Posts: 5,314
Default

I've already had it, recently, and so I have the antibodies. I called the local instruction outfit here and talked to one of the instructors who also, coincidentally had also recently had it and recovered - and we went flying together with no mask and no worries.

Call up your local instructors and ask if anyone has had it recently (my doc says 3-6 months for the antibodies) and go fly with them. If they are carrying the antibodies, they can't give or get the decrapitation again until those anitbodies fade.
__________________
Greg Niehues - SEL, IFR, Repairman Cert.
Garden City, TX VAF 2021 dues paid
N16GN flying 750 hrs and counting; IO360, SDS, WWRV200, Dynon HDX, IFD440
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.