- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:54 AM

Default Part of a P-38!

So I have this RV-4, IO-360 CS Hartzell. It has a oil temp/oil pressure/fuel pressure 3 1/8" all mechanical. The fuel pressure failed probably because it was always running around 25 psi, the max for the gage. It is AN5773-1. Turns out it is out of a P-38, failed after on 70 years or so. Any suggestions? Anyone have one laying around?
Old 01-19-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
So I have this RV-4, IO-360 CS Hartzell. It has a oil temp/oil pressure/fuel pressure 3 1/8" all mechanical. The fuel pressure failed probably because it was always running around 25 psi, the max for the gage. It is AN5773-1. Turns out it is out of a P-38, failed after on 70 years or so. Any suggestions? Anyone have one laying around?
I searched on Duck-Duck Go, just to see what a AN5773-1 looked like, and all kinds of possible sources popped up. Of course the price may not be too nice:-)......One place advertises that they have the capability to overhaul too.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2021
Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 AM

I've got one that's been in this old panel, which never flew, since around 1971. That's right, 50 years. It's in the upper right area. No idea if it works or for that matter, if it ever did. It was purchased as new back then.

The only problem is, this one is also limited to 25 psi, so I'd expect that it will fail like yours did. I'd recommend a different approach, such as one of the electronic engine monitors that fit the same hole.

The missing gauges are the airspeed indicator on the lower left, the altimeter on the top left and the compass, top center.

I'm certainly willing to remove this and send it to you for a decent donation to Doug, beyond your annual dues. However, our postal and UPS offices are pretty busy and I don't want to ship it until my Covid vaccination becomes effective in February.

Dave
And no, I'm not using any of this on my RV-3B project
Old 01-19-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I've got one that's been in this old panel, which never flew, since around 1971. That's right, 50 years. It's in the upper right area. No idea if it works or for that matter, if it ever did. It was purchased as new back then.

The only problem is, this one is also limited to 25 psi, so I'd expect that it will fail like yours did. I'd recommend a different approach, such as one of the electronic engine monitors that fit the same hole.

The missing gauges are the airspeed indicator on the lower left, the altimeter on the top left and the compass, top center.

I'm certainly willing to remove this and send it to you for a decent donation to Doug, beyond your annual dues. However, our postal and UPS offices are pretty busy and I don't want to ship it until my Covid vaccination becomes effective in February.

Dave
And no, I'm not using any of this on my RV-3B project
Mine looks a little different but I will take you up on that offer. How 'bout two years dues and I will pay shipping. I'm in no big hurry.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:22 PM

That works for me. Send me a PM with your address and I'll respond with mine.

But seriously, it's worth changing over to an EMS that fits the cut-out. It's a bit of work and money but more reliable and more things displayed. Seriously.

Dave
Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM

Many instrument shops should be able to repair this. In your area I'd suggest Castleberry Instruments and Avionics, https://ciamfg.com/

Jim Butcher
Old 01-19-2021, 04:24 PM

Default De-boost

Since you choose to get the old gauge from Colorado, I recommend a deboost element in the plumbing. They are commonly used in the brake systems of air transport aircraft to de-boost the aircraft's 3000 psi down to 1000 psi for use in the brakes.
The deboost element is a stepped cylinder that presents a small diameter piston to the higher pressure and a larger cylinder on the output side. A two to one ratio might be ideal for you; readings would be half of actual pressure. If a pressure line comes through the firewall, I recommend a non-flammable fluid for that part of the run.
http://navyaviation.tpub.com/14018/c...linder-474.htm
https://encyclopedia2.thefreediction...kout+debooster

Last edited by koupster : 01-19-2021 at 04:37 PM.