- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use the IFR capability of your RV?
YES (file IFR) 236 72.84%
NO 88 27.16%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2021, 11:48 AM

Default VFR > IFR

VFR flying is so so so much more fun. RV's are probably the funnest and best flying airplanes in all of GA (no they definitely are). Why waste that droning along in the system?

If I have to pick up a clearance while flying my -7, it's a borderline emergency situation and I goofed up my planning/decision making. Modern experimental avionics and foreflight are very good backups in that situation, though. Probably better than anything in the certified world (no definitely better).

Like I said earlier, if lives or business depends on getting there on time, go airlines or charter a pro. For fun, enjoyment, and the pure bliss of flight, take the RV.

There's no reason to file IFR. You can do basically everything VFR. I flew my -7 over the ocean to the Caribbean too. All VFR

VFR rules, IFR drools
Old 01-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Why fly IFR?

Easy answer, at least where I am. I end up flying in & around metro DC, Philly, Baltimore, NY, sometimes Boston, and traveling in the system in those areas is way, way, way less stressful than going VFR (which I've also done a lot of).

Also, being able to pop above a layer, rather than trying to navigate under that same ragged 1500-foot broken crud, is just a better way to live life.

Obviously the RV isn't always a substitute for travel on commercial flights - Mother Nature must be respected - but when it is, it can be truly glorious. As just one example, I can get to Cape Cod from Quinton VA in under 3 hours on a Friday afternoon. Try that with the airlines.

Having done both in the Bahamas and Dominican Republic, I'd agree that VFR is usually the way to go there. I can't speak to the other Caribbean islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattin35 View Post
VFR flying is so so so much more fun. RV's are probably the funnest and best flying airplanes in all of GA (no they definitely are). Why waste that droning along in the system?

If I have to pick up a clearance while flying my -7, it's a borderline emergency situation and I goofed up my planning/decision making. Modern experimental avionics and foreflight are very good backups in that situation, though. Probably better than anything in the certified world (no definitely better).

Like I said earlier, if lives or business depends on getting there on time, go airlines or charter a pro. For fun, enjoyment, and the pure bliss of flight, take the RV.

There's no reason to file IFR. You can do basically everything VFR. I flew my -7 over the ocean to the Caribbean too. All VFR

VFR rules, IFR drools
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-15-2021, 12:27 PM

It'd be interesting to see this poll with additional data points next to the votes in terms of overall aviation experience as it relates to willingness to fly certain airframes in solid IMC.