Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHM462 View Post
1. Is it better to purchase a completed RV and upgrade to what I want, or build and get exactly what I want?
2. If I were to build, is it better to purchase a partial build, or start from scratch?
Joe, to answer question #1, here's my two cents worth.... Ask yourself this question, "If you knew you could never fly it, would you want to build it anyway?" If the answer is yes, then you certainly should build! If the answer is no, then maybe buying a flying plane is better. Building is about the journey, buying is about the destination, so ask yourself which is more important to you.

To answer your 2nd question... buying someone else's project would indicate that getting to the destination quicker is the goal, in that case, see answer to question #1.
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 01-09-2021, 10:06 AM

Joe, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

there is an old saying, if you want to FLY=BUY.

=VAF= RULES

Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Default N1DK

Turbo,,, is that your King Air?
That N# has been on a’ few’ airplanes,,,
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 01-12-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Things to ponder

• It used to be that you had to build an RV if you wanted one, but that is no longer the case. There are plenty out there for sale, depending on which one you want and the condition you are willing to accept.
  • You can buy more airplane with your money than you can build with that same amount, typically.
  • Build quality is a big issue so what one person thinks is a 9 you may think is a 5 or 6, so be ready to be disappointed. Pictures can lie so always look at it in person.
  • You may never find the exact package you want in paint, interior and/or avionics so you will have to be ready to compromise.
  • Rebuilding/upgrading is always more difficult than you think. To me, its easier to build new rather than redo something.
  • Buying a flying plane means its already licensed. Unless you are an A&P you will need to find someone to do thorough condition inspections for you, which can be harder than you might think. As a builder, you can do your own inspections.
  • Buying kits from builders that gave up works great for me. I have done it several times, but be ready to redo some work that you don't like.
  • If you build, you will have to invest in more tools than if you buy.
  • If you buy a flying plane, and you are married, there is a higher likelihood that you will stay married than if you build.
  • If you decide to build, staying with the plans will get you flying quicker. Modifications or changes to the plans will add a lot of time to the build.
RV8
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Thank-you to everyone

I really appreciate everyone's input and the warm welcome I have received; I'm glad I joined VAF.

Respectfully,

Joe
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 PM

Default Consider this tip of the iceberg

If you slow build, you need to be -
a bit obsessed, persistent, resilient to discouraging occasions, ready to spend more than you expect to.
Each new kit makes you more committed to finishing, building is a huge commitment.
Maybe a little less if you can pay for quick-build kits and out sourcing things like the panel/avionics build.

If you buy a flying airplane -
clearly define your mission to set your sights for the model to fit it, and get the best pre-purchase inspection done that you can arrange. And, be very patient.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195, Start 10/11/14
Contribution made 12/2/20 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 01-13-2021, 10:17 PM

My Story:

Found an RV-6 with a fixed pitch, 160hp engine, tipper canopy, and old panel. All of this made the plane more affordable. I got a good prebuy and understood the build quality was good.

After flying for a while, I was able to save and get a new panel.

Today I help with the condition inspections, and get to fly a lot.

I may try a build someday with everything I want, but today I know that having a flying plane during the build will be a nice time compromise vs having nothing flying while taking the time to build "a perfect plane".

Like others have said...Time vs Money.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)