Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 05:28 PM

Default Use a Hoist

I did almost exactly what Jim did with the hoist when I owned an M20C. I used an extension cord to mod the switch cord. It worked perfectly and wasn't too slow or fast. Very handy especially in the winter when getting traction while pushing was tough.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I assume that the nose wheel can be turned around 180 degrees.
The nose wheel has fixed stops to limit rotational travel so wheel points forward within about 150 degree arc. When airplane is pushed backward the nose wheel wants to rotate against the stop. Towbar is required to keep nosewheel tracking correctly.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 760

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 01-12-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:06 PM

See this.

Might work with the -12's boarding steps too. I have no idea of the structural strength of the 12's steps. The keys from my post are to connect at the very upper ends of the steps and have a pulley in the middle of the bridle.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon@carolon.net View Post
The slope isn't very deep or steep, so I have no trouble getting the plane out of the hangar. It's tough getting it back in, though, because the hangar door opening is narrow so I can't get a running start putting the plane back in. I need to stop pushing to look carefully at where my wing tips end the doors begin.

I like the hand crank idea.
I would put the hand crank in, and put the nose wheel on a dolly, problem solved. The dolly would need to cradle the front wheel with some wood. You can put your weight on the back of the plane by the rudder, and the nose wheel will come up, put dolly just behind the nose wheel, and back up slightly with dolly behind the nose wheel while elevated, to drop the nose wheel into the cradle on the dolly.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 01-12-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:06 PM

What is a quad?
Old 01-12-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Harbor Freight Electric Hoist used as a winch... https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb...rol-60346.html

I installed this 15 years ago for use with my J3-Cub and now RV-12. Tail hook on RV-12 is very substantial. I extended the pendent switch so it can reach 30' in front of the hanger. So, one hand guides tow bar to steer while other hand controls winch motor. I installed the winch about 5' above ground level so pulling force doesn't raise nose wheel off the ground. Works a charm...

I inherited this same winch in a hangar I bought, but added two overload-prevention extension springs from McMaster-Carr to ease the jolt on the tail tie-down ring.

Gary R. Kohler
RV-7A
Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 PM

Default quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
What is a quad?
a four wheel motorbike like this:
"Hello, world!"
Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 AM
been here awhile

Here is my "quad" RV-6 tug:

About $90 for carb, tubes for the old tires,battery and general cleanup/paint of a derelict Murray lawnmower.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 01-13-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
I would put the hand crank in, and put the nose wheel on a dolly, problem solved. The dolly would need to cradle the front wheel with some wood. You can put your weight on the back of the plane by the rudder, and the nose wheel will come up, put dolly just behind the nose wheel, and back up slightly with dolly behind the nose wheel while elevated, to drop the nose wheel into the cradle on the dolly.
At the risk of sounding terribly negative, this suggestion of the use of a dolly for the nosewheel is a non-starter. (Sorry for sounding so harsh). I've tried it, albeit on a larger, heavier aircraft. Even with fairly large rubber wheels (3" wheels on a professional mover's dolly) the slightest resistance encountered by either main wheel caused the aircraft to **** sideways; the dolly under the nose wheel would literally jerk sideways.

My interim solution was a combination of things. I installed a hand-crank rope winch which, I believe, saw prior duty on a boat trailer. I equipped the winch with cheap yellow polypropylene rope. This rope is far more stretchy than one would naturally assume it to be.

My method of moving our aircraft (typically about 1700lbs) up a slope and over the hump caused by frost heaving at the front lip of the hangar floor was as follows.
- push the airplane as far up the ramp as possible, then secure in place with a nosewheel chock installed both in front of and behind the nosewheel
- attach the winch to the tail tiedown hook (in this particular aircraft there is fantastic "beef" at this point in the structure because this is also the attachment point for the tailwheel spring)
- wind the winch up, placing tension on the rope (remember the chocks are preventing the airplane from rolling uphill and downhill)
- go back to the nose, remove the downhill chock and put it in my pocket, kick out the uphill chock and push the aircraft backwards picking up the chock as you walk past it and while using the towbar to steer the aircraft; the tension and stretch on the yellow poly winch rope acts as a gentle "helping hand" to move the airplane
- once the tension on the rope is relaxed, reinstall both chocks and repeat the process

This has proven to be a far safer technique than I had ever thought it would be, and it gives terrific control over trajectory of the aircraft. Cost is darned near nothing, especially if you find a used boat winch or similar.

The other solution, the one I use now, is an electric tug which fully supports the nose wheel, lifting it completely off the ground, thus removing it from the steering equation while also providing motive force to the aircraft.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:43 AM

Default Taxi In

I 2nd for taxing in and then spinning it around in the hangar. Works on most t-hangars. It freaks people out when they see it for the first time!
RV12 - Flying - Sold