- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Default GRT HXr horizon tilted

Horizon line does not show wings level after a turn, even though they are.

This seems to be occurring mostly after a climbing or descending turn, although it has happened when level.

The magnetometer has been tried in two locations and has been checked for level and calibrated.

My backup Dynon D10A does not show this behaviour, it's remote magnetometer is located in the tail, one of the tested locations for the HXr magnetometer.

Getting frustrated.

Peter

Last edited by petersb : 06-22-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 PM

Welcome to the party. You too are a beta tester. Wait until you can get the heading to indicate 270 when you are actually flying 090 for many minutes.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Welcome to the party. You too are a beta tester. Wait until you can get the heading to indicate 270 when you are actually flying 090 for many minutes.
I thought their software was based on their earlier products and thus mostly sorted out
Old 06-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your issue. You are not a beta tester. You have an issue with the installation or setup. I have 100% confidence in IFR conditions with my HXr and have for over a year. call Ben or Katie tomorrow, they will help sort this out.
Hartzell's advanced composite propeller
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsargent View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue. You are not a beta tester. You have an issue with the installation or setup. I have 100% confidence in IFR conditions with my HXr and have for over a year. call Ben or Katie tomorrow, they will help sort this out.
Tad, thanks for the reply. I have spoken to the good people at GRT several times and have tried all of their suggestions, no luck to date. Thought I would try the forum.

Don't recall this problem in the first 50 hours
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Ok. Question one, where is the magnetometer positioned
And two, where is the AHRS located.
Hartzell's advanced composite propeller
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadsargent View Post
Ok. Question one, where is the magnetometer positioned
And two, where is the AHRS located.
AHARS is just behind the firewall, magnetometer first location was the first rib behind the baggage compartment.(F707, aircraft is rv7A) on the bottom It is installed 16 inches behind the pitch servo, I checked for magnetic interference and couldn't find any.

Second location is under the vertical stabilizer, next to the Dynon magnetometer which is working OK. Again couldn't find any magnetic anomaly , also ran the elevator up and down and did not detect any changes on the display due to elevator control horn.

I monitored the magnetometer heading ( Set menu>AHARS Maintenance )while sitting in the hanger, engine off, it quickly flickered between 288 and 294 while the Gyro heading remained at 292 steady

Last edited by petersb : 06-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:20 PM

Default Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Based on this and other comments you've made, you clearly have a beef with GRT.

I have 320 hours behind a GRT Horizon (purchased in 2006) including about 60 hours of hood time in my RV-8, and it has not missed a beat.

I would encourage the original poster to be absolutely certain to follow the installation instructions for the AHRS and Magnetometer perfectly, especially with regards to alignment to each other and the airframe. In my -8, the wingtip was the only location that I felt would be as free as possible from magnetic interference.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited by skylor : 06-23-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
I have 320 hours behind a GRT Horizon (purchased in 2006) including about 60 hours of hood time in my RV-8, and it has not missed a beat.

Skylor
RV-8
Similarly, my old Horizon is rock solid but during Phase 1 it gave odd heading readings once and tumbled once. The root cause was me not waiting for the system to fully boot before I started to taxi. Peter, are you waiting for the AHRS to boot fully?
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
Similarly, my old Horizon is rock solid but during Phase 1 it gave odd heading readings once and tumbled once. The root cause was me not waiting for the system to fully boot before I started to taxi. Peter, are you waiting for the AHRS to boot fully?
Yes, the boot up takes about two minutes and the synthetic vision display starts to work at the end of the boot up, also timer disappears.

In regards to wing tip location the instruction say to locate not too close to trailing edge plus not too close to landing light wires, can't do both.

After breaking my neck relocating from inside fuselage to tail this weekend without any real change, or magnetic interference indications, I am reluctant to go through the effort to relocate to the wing just to try . Of course I will do it if I can be sure it is worth it.

Last edited by petersb : 06-23-2014 at 07:37 AM.