- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:22 PM

Default 3-D CAD file?

Does anyone have or know where to get a 3-D CAD or .STP file of an RV-8? I can find them for other models, but not the -8. I want to use them to build a 3-D of my paint. Thanks.
Fuselage - In Process
Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 AM

I emailed Vans about this. They won't share CAD models (proprietary). What is possible with 3-D CAD and products like Solidworks is super cool and would enable 3D renderings of paint schemes (to scale) vs. the 2D drawings we now have. If you've seen this done you know what I'm talking about. Maybe some day.........
Fuselage - In Process
Old 03-24-2021, 08:48 AM

Maybe you can get in touch with the guy doing the different paintjobs for the flightsimulator?
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...2-and-greater/

Cheers Yves
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done
Old 03-24-2021, 05:09 PM

To expound on the previous post, working with X-plane repaints is a good way to tinker with paint schemes and get a better preview of them than the three-view drawings provide. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but in the end it amounts to editing a flat image file that the X-plane tools will then wrap around a 3d model. For the image editing, you use whatever your favorite editor is; for wrapping around a model, there's a utility that comes with X-plane (even the free version) for previewing a model, or you can load your custom paint livery into the game.

This is what the flat image looks like:

It takes a little trial and error to figure out what everything is (example: which fuselage profile is the left and which is right?), but in the end you just color to your heart's desire. When you're done, you can load the resulting livery into their 3d model previewer, which looks like this:

In there, you can roll/pitch/yaw the preview to your heart's content, and for extra realism, you can then go actually fly your aircraft in X-Plane and make sure it looks good while performing questionable acts of aeronautical decision making in the vicinity of your home airport:

There's only one thing you must pay for to do this, and that's the RV-8 X-Plane add-on; it's $32. The rest you can do with free stuff, though what you can do in the game with your completed livery is limited unless you buy the full X-plane version.

Overall, it's surprisingly straightforward to do. There are lots of tutorials floating around for doing liveries, and I got the basics worked in in a few hours - but I'm probably more tech comfortable than many people.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 AM

This is the best I have found:

https://grabcad.com/library/rv-8-3d-print-1

The model is a bit of a mess to print as it is set up with a bunch of built in supports to 3D print. I have been slowly working through the model to get it more printable, and at one point had it in SolidWorks on something I could render.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-1.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	9660  Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-8_Assembly_With_Supports-5.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	712.1 KB
ID:	9661  
Old 03-25-2021, 02:57 PM

These are pretty good. Certainly better than the 2D drawings we have access to. Let me give them a try. Thanks!
Fuselage - In Process