VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-2021, 09:54 AM
ShortSnorter ShortSnorter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 270
Default Control stick and Elevator “neutral” position

When I measure 4 degrees aft on the control stick base to set the control stick neutral position I get a slightly upward elevator deflection as compared to the HS. Does this make sense? In other words, should the elevator be in trail with the HS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAABCF74-2048-4B2C-9EAF-A908A8AC1F69.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	7735  
__________________
Ryan
RV-14 In-Progress
Build Site
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 AM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,494
Default

I am not really following or don't know about the 4 degree aft for neutral. However, the stick hast stops at either direction which is just a hair pass the elevator travel in both direction.
With this in mind, perhaps you can set your elevator to its max deflection degree and then adjust your stick that is just about a hair before it reaches its stops. If all has been setup correctly, then this should give you the max deflection and the stick will be just right, almost vertical in the neutral position.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2021, 10:48 AM
ShortSnorter ShortSnorter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 270
Default

When I set my elevator stops everything was just as you described. Now I'm at the point of connecting the ailerons to the control stick and the plans have you "set neutral" stick position by having 4 degrees aft (in relation to the the cover rib). When I do this, I get a slight upwards deflection in the elevator. Otherwise I get full deflection in the elevators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	7752  
__________________
Ryan
RV-14 In-Progress
Build Site
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2021, 10:56 AM
Jetmart Jetmart is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 304
Default

If memory serves me correct the rigging of the elevator is done is section 36 and a jig is used to set the angle of the bell crank with the elevator taped in the neutral position.

Section 41 is the rigging of the ailerons to the flaps and tips. Van's has just recently come out with a new procedure for this task which is the same procedure used on the RV-10. There is a revision on the Van's website regarding the new rigging procedures.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...evisions/23-2/

Also a revision for the oil door.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...-revisions/45/
__________________
Glenn Martin
Windsor, Ontario
1942 Tiger Moth
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 AM
ShortSnorter ShortSnorter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
If memory serves me correct the rigging of the elevator is done is section 36 and a jig is used to set the angle of the bell crank with the elevator taped in the neutral position.

Section 41 is the rigging of the ailerons to the flaps and tips. Van's has just recently come out with a new procedure for this task which is the same procedure used on the RV-10. There is a revision on the Van's website regarding the new rigging procedures.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...evisions/23-2/

Also a revision for the oil door.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...-revisions/45/

Interesting they did away with the alignment jig that bolts to the end of the aileron. Either way, the issue really isn't with my aileron alignment as much as it is the uncertainty of where the control base stick is positioned when they reference "control stick neutral." I would have assumed that "control stick neutral" would mean that all control surfaces are also neutral. In this case the ailerons are in fact neutral when in this specified control stick base position. However, it is the elevator that becomes slightly deflected when moving the control stick base to 4 degrees aft.
__________________
Ryan
RV-14 In-Progress
Build Site
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2021, 03:04 PM
Bavafa Bavafa is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSnorter View Post
When I set my elevator stops everything was just as you described. Now I'm at the point of connecting the ailerons to the control stick and the plans have you "set neutral" stick position by having 4 degrees aft (in relation to the the cover rib). When I do this, I get a slight upwards deflection in the elevator. Otherwise I get full deflection in the elevators.
The control stick has forward/aft stops, correct? I believe the critical part is that when the control stick is at its stop, the rigging of the push/pull tube is done in such way that you would be getting the minimum required deflection, if memory serves me right (30 and 35 from) neutral position.

So attach everything, including the stick and adjust the push/pull tube so you will get the required deflection when the stick is hitting its stop at both direction. If you are getting more deflection in one direction, then adjust it to slip the different between the two direction.
Once this is setup in this manner, set your elevator in neutral position and check your stick. It will probably be in the correct position.
__________________
Mehrdad
N825SM RV7A - IO360M1B - SOLD
N825MS RV14A - IO390 - Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2021, 03:14 PM
Jetmart Jetmart is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 304
Default

I suggest following the Van’s instructions. It clearly states that the elevator should hit the stops and not the control stick. You will have to cut a fair bit away for the up and down travel at the elevator stops. Set up the push pull tubes according to Van’s plans and template.
__________________
Glenn Martin
Windsor, Ontario
1942 Tiger Moth
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2021, 03:17 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 7,183
Default

Here’s what I think is going on: Due to the geometry of the mechanical stick linkages, as you move the stick fore-aft, the ailerons move, some, up-down. So it makes sense to align the ailerons to neutral when the elevator is in its typical flying position. Originally that was elevator neutral, but it looks like Vans has decided that the typical cruise position is slightly elevator up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2021, 06:39 PM
ShortSnorter ShortSnorter is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Here’s what I think is going on: Due to the geometry of the mechanical stick linkages, as you move the stick fore-aft, the ailerons move, some, up-down. So it makes sense to align the ailerons to neutral when the elevator is in its typical flying position. Originally that was elevator neutral, but it looks like Vans has decided that the typical cruise position is slightly elevator up.


I think this may be the case but will verify with Van’s. I did notice slight aileron movement while moving the control stick base to the described aft 4degree position. I wasn’t able to verify the bellcrank position (jig wasn’t at the airport), but did verify the ailerons and flaps are 1/16” high relative to the wing tips.
__________________
Ryan
RV-14 In-Progress
Build Site
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.