What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too old to build an RV-15?

Is it too late to start?

Too_Late_To_Start.jpg

I’m a builder

Born in 1946. I hope Vans will let me have one of the first RV15 kits. I’ll attack it like I was 44. I’ll get friends and neighbors involved. It will be built fast.. I don’t need a plans book. Just parts.
If the kits come after I’m room temperature? Well ,,,
Finished a new RV8 July 2021. I plan on flying it into my eighties

Last edited:
Interestingly, no one has really mentioned the standard advice to a younger person: “Build because you enjoy the building process. If you don’t enjoy it, buy one already built.” Same rule applies to everyone, regardless of age. If you finish it and find you cannot fly it (health, insurance, whatever), so what? You had an enjoyable experience, can sell the plane and get your money back. Sure, a disappointment if you never fly it, but all in all, a great experience. A few years back a local repeat offender was working on his second RV when he found out he was going blind. He sold it, recovered his investment, told me he had no regrets.

Interestingly, no one has really mentioned the standard advice to a younger person: “Build because you enjoy the building process. If you don’t enjoy it, buy one already built.”

I’d guess that it will be a LONG time before already-built RV-15’s start hitting the market at anything close to an affordable price point.

Fly, buy or Fly-By!!

Born in 1946. I hope Vans will let me have one of the first RV15 kits. I’ll attack it like I was 44. I’ll get friends and neighbors involved. It will be built fast.. I don’t need a plans book. Just parts.
If the kits come after I’m room temperature? Well ,,,
Finished a new RV8 July 2021. I plan on flying it into my eighties

Good on ya brother Jay!
I’m considering the same sir although age isn’t the concern now that I’m truly retarded (retired) and on my fixed military pension, building an RV (as previously mentioned) ain’t cost-wise what it was in 88! The economy of scale has shifted considerably.
Even using all my savings techniques on my Four and Six-X using salvaged or used engines, keeping the panel simple, fleet color or no paint a Fifteen will easily exceed $100K even with just sweat equity. The kit itself may be cost prohibitive, we will see. Guess I’m now a RV guy on an ultralight budget!:)

So, once again, a conundrum. Guess I’ll have to come sweep your shop and wash your 8 for the duration, C word treatments notwithstanding and Good Lord willing!!!
V/R
Smokey

Totally understand, and fortunately or unfortunately “MY BUDGET” only allowed me to consider non vans kits for my 2nd build . I am happily well along on my
building ( sacrilege) Zenith 701 with homebrew Honda power ! Tom

Back