What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive tank sensor inop

Floog

RE: RV-7 with OP-07 plans built system installed.

First 300 hours, tank gages worked well! Then I started seeing intermittent quantity indication on the right tank gage. Ie., it would show 'E-open' occasionally. Now it displays 'E-open' all the time.

I found the center conductor of the coax cable that is mounted on the inboard end of the fuel tank to be grounded. So somewhere inside the tank the plates, wire, or mounting screws have shorted to aircraft structure ground.

The best option would be to add a float sender to the end cap. My question is:
can this be done without removing the wing? Is there enough room between the fuselage and tank to install the float assembly?

I spoke with Van's today, and was told the capacitive system is no longer supported or offered. If anyone has run into this situation and knows a better solution, please advise. Thanks!

Fuel sender

Check out the drawings. The standard pickup and float is mounted to the access panel so you could buy the parts and build it then install the new plate.
The short might be right at the BNC. It may be worth testing before replacing. Capacitive is just two pieces of aluminum on delrin standoffs with a wire attached. Wire goes to the center pin of the BNC.

Capacitive is just two pieces of aluminum on delrin standoffs with a wire attached. Wire goes to the center pin of the BNC.

I'm actually surprised nobody has put together a capacitive sensor kit and sold them in the aftermarket. Although, they really are super-simple to just cobble together from parts and hardware and Delrin spacers.

Flop tube?

Is there a flop tube in that tank? If so, you would need to install the float through the tank aft baffle. Which of course means pulling the tank.

Flop tube is left tank only. I'm thinking there might be enough room to install a float sensor on the end cap without taking the wing off (NO WAY am I doing that!) For now, I am relying on the fuel flow running total which is very accurate. Plus my own math....

I'm actually surprised nobody has put together a capacitive sensor kit and sold them in the aftermarket. Although, they really are super-simple to just cobble together from parts and hardware and Delrin spacers.

Cobble together - I like that phrase. I cobbled the last 6 tanks I put together :)

Back