What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Employee Reveal Video

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
https://youtu.be/-FLjPoxsk7Y

Shows the gear legs being flexed.

VAFDR_%20527%20Jul.%2011%2020.26.jpg

Last edited:
I can say one thing that's a huge deal. The stabilator is much higher off the ground to it's contemporary competitor, the Rans S-21. I have never like the looks of the S-21 taildragger in three point mode because the Rans horizontal stab is ankle high and looks like it will mow down weeds, grass and shrubs. The RV-15 stabilator is up out of the bush, as it should be.

Makes me miss my workhorse BD4 taildragger. Flew it and loved it for 22 years…it was fast, carried a good load and also had a large stabilator and strong gear (after a significant upgrade).

I hope I get on the early order list.

I can say one thing that's a huge deal. The stabilator is much higher off the ground to it's contemporary competitor, the Rans S-21. I have never like the looks of the S-21 taildragger in three point mode because the Rans horizontal stab is ankle high and looks like it will mow down weeds, grass and shrubs. The RV-15 stabilator is up out of the bush, as it should be.
I built a Rans S-21 and I can't disagree with you, however it appears that part of the difference is due to the shock mounted tailwheel which raises the tail up some - how much I don't know. You could do something similar with the S-21 to get more ground clearance for the HS. The negative of doing this is the ground angle of incidence would be reduced and that might affect the landing possibly as now the stall AOA and 3 point are pretty close (at low power I believe).

Back