What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV15 Prototype Sighting...

smokyray

Well Known Member
Seen at a Vans Skunkworks Black testing site somewhere in Texas....

Just kidding Van..!.
:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: CC'D Vans Aircraft...haven't heard back yet!

Ain't no way Van's would product an airplane that looks like that. They have more pride in their product.
They like slippery planes not draggy ones
Art

The Mission...

Ain't no way Van's would product an airplane that looks like that. They have more pride in their product.
They like slippery planes not draggy ones
Art

Maybe.
However, you obviously have never flown in or visited Maule Air Inc.
I vehemently disagree that Maule Air Inc has no pride in product. Their aircraft began humbly in BD Maules garage much like Van however the Maule mission statement has always been producing a certified flying STOL Utility aircraft first, not a Sport Aircraft kit. Their service over the past 50 years in the obscure regions of the globe performing STOL missionary and backcountry operations (with a lack of roads runways and infrastructure) is legendary, draggy looks notwithstanding.

The point of my thread was to emphasize how tall an order it is for any aircraft design to improve upon already well proven designs, but I'm confident "Vans can". If the 15/16 is what I think it will be, I'll dig out my checkbook, rivet gun and start banging rivets...again.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Well, I agree Smoky it is a massive huge leap for anybody to design a new aircraft. Beyond my thinking ability.
I wasn't implying the Maule doesn't have pride in the product. I thought we were talking about the general design and used the picture as an example.
Maule builds great airplanes that are a tough and well built design.
My three cents worth Art. Maybe only worth two cents now though.

If the 15/16 is what I think it will be, I'll dig out my checkbook, rivet gun and start banging rivets...again.

V/R
Smokey

I predict you will want a pneumatic rivet puller, and it won't require a lot of banging. Aka high wing RV12 ish.

Purely a guess on my end though.

Disappointed

I predict you will want a pneumatic rivet puller, and it won't require a lot of banging. Aka high wing RV12 ish.

Purely a guess on my end though.

With the success of the RV14 and RV10, and the RV12 covering the LSA/trainer market. if it is pulled rivets, ala RV12, i will be sorely disappointed.
I can't see this since the older Cessna 172's have the low cost, high wing market pretty well covered.

I see a Maule clone, which would be great, maybe with a little more speed and no so Piper Cub-ish.

RV15itis

Smokey is suffering from RV15itis. A condition with only one known cure. That is to load up the truck, hitch the trailer and head direct to Oregon and set up camp in Vans parking lot immediately. Don’t leave until your complete RV15 kit is loaded on the trailer. And one for Doug while you are there.

First

Smokey is suffering from RV15itis. A condition with only one known cure. That is to load up the truck, hitch the trailer and head direct to Oregon and set up camp in Vans parking lot immediately. Don’t leave until your complete RV15 kit is loaded on the trailer. And one for Doug while you are there.

Cant beat me, I am already camping out there. bring me some bagels please, I ran out.

(OK just joking, I wont be there till Friday)

Get er done...

Ya got me there Dave, I'm looking forward to it as well. My guess being a Vans elder statesman is commonality of parts, ie existing sub kits.

Smokey guess:
1. Cantilever Wing, aka Helio Courier, Cessna Skylark/195/210, Monocoupe etc. (Flaperons? maybe)
2. Pulled Rivets
3. RV9 wing and tail derivative, full flying HS.
4. Helio tapered fuselage look, but better. Ski/Float attach options.
5. Cost under $50K.

We will see...:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: No worries Art, totally agree Maule is a great machine, albeit older design. New is coming.

https://youtu.be/uctFNjywIQc
The Mission...

Last edited:
I too would be sorely disappointed if it was a pulled rivet version. One of those is one too many not to mention what powers it.

I too would be sorely disappointed if it was a pulled rivet version. One of those is one too many not to mention what powers it.

Really don't understand the disdain for the Rotax 912/914 series of engines. They are beautifully engineered, fuel efficient and will run well beyond TBO if properly maintained.

They just don't sound like piston powered plane.

Really don't understand the disdain for the Rotax 912/914 series of engines. They are beautifully engineered, fuel efficient and will run well beyond TBO if properly maintained.

Probably the sound they make! I suspect the same thing was said when radials were being phased out. :)

Copy and improve

Copy the C175 ,, rivet for rivet,, improve on it,, and have a huge home run product.

Attachments

• A6672901-24D6-4056-A95D-60E401244DA8.jpeg
    A6672901-24D6-4056-A95D-60E401244DA8.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 258
Agreed!

I think Jay is right. RV15 will be a 175 and RV15A will replace 172....but with a stick, more spacious cabin, RV10ish useful load, and about 20 kts more in cruise.

A real four place, high-wing that can cruise at 135kts-140kts and be back-country capable would dominate the market. The only thing I can think of remotely similar is the Sportsman and that's a 2+2 and composite- not really comparable.

Will be cool to see what they come up with- I'm sure will be game changing like their last three introductions.

I think Jay is right. RV15 will be a 175 and RV15A will replace 172....but with a stick, more spacious cabin, RV10ish useful load, and about 20 kts more in cruise.

A real four place, high-wing that can cruise at 135kts-140kts and be back-country capable would dominate the market. The only thing I can think of remotely similar is the Sportsman and that's a 2+2 and composite- not really comparable.

Will be cool to see what they come up with- I'm sure will be game changing like their last three introductions.

Ding-ding! Winner!

For those that say buy a 180, 2 problems:

1. You need thirsty 6 cylinder to get these numbers. I bet Vans can do it with an IO390.

2. It's not just about useful load, but space as well. Most of my friends and family just simply physically don't fit in the old narrow fuse Cessnas. Oh sure we can cram in, but who wants to spend 3 or 4 hours plastered up next to your buddy on a hot bumpy day. And winter with coats....its almost comical. All this class and comfort for only $150k. To those that aren't flying fanatics it's a tough sell.

It's not just about useful load, but space as well. Most of my friends and family just simply physically don't fit in the old narrow fuse Cessnas. Oh sure we can cram in, but who wants to spend 3 or 4 hours plastered up next to your buddy on a hot bumpy day. And winter with coats....its almost comical. All this class and comfort for only $150k. To those that aren't flying fanatics it's a tough sell.

So true- one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to getting the RV12is going is that the cabin on that little plane is wider than my 172....not much, but still. If that build doesn't take me forever or prove difficult I plan to start on a 10 or maybe a 15 if it's four place.

If the RV15 is as described and has an RV10/14 size cabin the Vans ordering email address will probably melt during oshkosh. Hahaha.

Been there, done that.

Ding-ding! Winner!

For those that say buy a 180, 2 problems:

1. You need thirsty 6 cylinder to get these numbers. I bet Vans can do it with an IO390.

2. It's not just about useful load, but space as well. Most of my friends and family just simply physically don't fit in the old narrow fuse Cessnas. Oh sure we can cram in, but who wants to spend 3 or 4 hours plastered up next to your buddy on a hot bumpy day. And winter with coats....its almost comical. All this class and comfort for only $150k. To those that aren't flying fanatics it's a tough sell.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

https://www.dreamaircraft.com/site/index.php?lang=EN&hdr=xl&sw_hdr=1

C175, size weight and appearance with Jays inputs. Check
IO390 up front: Check
1000 lb useful load, true 4 place cabin: Check
135 Knot Cruise @75%: Check
Experimental Kit Aircraft: Check

Can Van improve on “The Dream?” I’m certain. Will the 15 be similar?
I’m counting on it!
V/R
Smokey

Marketable: Check
https://www.controller.com/listing/...-tundra-experimental-slash-homebuilt-aircraft

Last edited:
Smokey let the cat out of the bag

Well, I guess now that Mr Smokey has shared his pic of the RV-15, guess I’ll share mine........ albeit sideways.....

Attachments

• BB2F549D-15B6-4F0B-B86E-ACC370D8938E.jpg
    BB2F549D-15B6-4F0B-B86E-ACC370D8938E.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 307
Ask, and ye shall receive:

https://www.dreamaircraft.com/site/index.php?lang=EN&hdr=xl&sw_hdr=1

C175, size weight and appearance with Jays inputs. Check
IO390 up front: Check
1000 lb useful load, true 4 place cabin: Check
135 Knot Cruise @75%: Check
Experimental Kit Aircraft: Check

Can Van improve on “The Dream?” I’m certain. Will the 15 be similar?
I’m counting on it!
V/R
Smokey

Marketable: Check
https://www.controller.com/listing/...-tundra-experimental-slash-homebuilt-aircraft

Uhh, yeah….no. Excellent concept, and not a bad prototype - but refinement to the design is necessary - only about 15-18 have flown, worldwide, ours being among them. Lots of little developmental problems that could be fixed by the engineers if they were still around, but it was a hobby business, and if you want the program, I was told the entire company (IP, tooling, inventory) was for sale for $600K.

I am thinking that ours will go to a tech school someday after we have stripped everything useful from it for another project…..

It is, however, right in the sweet spot for weight and performance, as you suggest! (IMHO)

Have Maule, will haul!

Awesome Paul/Craig, always wondered what the "real story" was on the Tundra!
Owning the M5 has been a hoot, flashback to my youth but amazingly capable.

That's what the RV15 forte' should be...Utility!
V/R
Smokey

PS: Love that Bushwhacker!

Last edited:
Was an owner of a M5 "Lunar Rocket" it one time. I was a blast to fly with the Cont IO 210C Continental 6-cyl IO-360 w/ McCauley CS prop, and could haul anything you could get the doors to close around. Had Razorback Fuselage and metal wings with razorback tail surfaces. A trip or two down to Maule Aircraft in south GA had the feel of a family organization and pride in their product.

Last edited:
Family affair...

Was an owner of a M5 "Lunar Rocket" it one time. I was a blast to fly with the Cont IO 210C Continental 6-cyl IO-360 w/ McCauley CS prop, and could haul anything you could get the doors to close around. Had Razorback Fuselage and metal wings with razorback tail surfaces. A trip or two down to Maule Aircraft in south GA had the feel of a family organization and pride in their product.

Dennis, true enough sir. My association goes way back to the late 70's when BD Maule himself trusted a punk 22yr old "wet ink" Commercial Pilot to ferry a brand new M5 to MT. I still get regular texts from Brent his grandson.

My current M5 with the same 0-360 as my RV4 and 6 will easily takeoff at GW (1035 lbs onboard) in under 500' and climb at 800-1000 fpm to 7500' and true at 125 Knots. RV15 designers notwithstanding, that's some great capability.

Recently when traveling to Upper MI to visit my sister an overly helpful line guy left one of my fuel caps loose and it went to "who knows where" MI. A quick call to Kasey in parts at Maule Air and one was in the mail..

Yup, family...
Smokey

Last edited:
Gas cap

Had a similar incident several years ago, I think I might have been the inattentive line boy :rolleyes: Called ether the factory or perhaps Maule Flight for a replacement and they gave me the Stant part number and went on to say it’s simply a 1973 or earlier( vented) Ford behind the license plate gas cap “ probably in stock at your local NAPA.” and it was.

I am predicting that Vans will want pilot seating forward of the wing spar to give great visibility in all directions. This will require a light engine. Best guess is they will choose a Rotax 915iS.

Naw io 390

I am predicting that Vans will want pilot seating forward of the wing spar to give great visibility in all directions. This will require a light engine. Best guess is they will choose a Rotax 915iS.

I think they will have an io 390 up front, because they are going to have massive fowler flaps and a very large tail, probably filled with helium, so they can land in 5 feet and cruise at 200 mph. Total performance. It might even be a tail sitter!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    559.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I was at Vans last week on the factory tour and the sounds coming from the skunk works were impressive. For those who haven't been there it is behind a wall at the back of their hangar. A sign on the door says engineering personnel only. They were definitely building something.

Looks like a little blood in the upper right corner of the cleco picture.
We all bleed during a build. Some more than others.

It's a new hemoglobin based primer product. Uses iron instead of zinc from the zinc chromate primers of yester-year.

No breathing protection required, but the person applying this primer will still feel lightheaded if applying too much in a short amount of time. :D

Back