What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small part paint "hood"

Well Known Member
I was looking for a way to minimize overspray and to evacuate priming and painting fumes from my workshop. I came up with this after looking around this site and my shop to see what was possible.

wpid-20151123_224753-1024x576.jpg

More on the construction of the unit... http://www.brunbergs.net/?p=296

Great idea ! - One thing ... is the motor in the fan brushless ? i.e. no risk of any sparks igniting any flammable vapor ?

Last edited:
Great idea ! - One thing ... is the motor in the fan brushless ? i.e. no risk of any sparks igniting any flammable vapor ?

I don't believe so, but at the flow rates and dilution factor here, I am confident the mixture reaching the fan will be below the LEL. The LEL for toluene is about 1.2% by volume; xylene is 0.9%. At 0.9% and a 1590 CFM total flow rate, the required flow rate for xylene would be about 14 CFM, which is probably outside the capacity of a rattle can or small spray gun to produce.

If it became a concern I would most likely install an activated carbon bed to absorb the flammable after the filter.

Last edited:
Another use

I made a change to the paint "hood" by moving the blower closer to the lower plenum, using no ductwork, which reduces the suction pressure loss to the blower. This increased the face velocity considerably.

The hood is also useful for catching sanding dust when working on fiberglass and other stuff.

http://www.brunbergs.net/?p=318

wpid-wp-1448823410690-1024x576.jpg

Rule 240

I made one from poster board. Slots in each piece allow the boards to hold each other up.
Blower is a Rule 240 bilge blower.
Nowhere near as elegant an yours though.
Details are on my blog "aileron/flap" page.
20141210_131310.jpg

I made one from poster board. Slots in each piece allow the boards to hold each other up.
Blower is a Rule 240 bilge blower.
Nowhere near as elegant an yours though.
Details are on my blog "aileron/flap" page.

I like it! Simple and light is good.

Back