What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kitplanes - Mark Albery - Trip Across the Atlantic

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
kitplanes.com has a nice article about Mark's flight from Calif to England. I remember his posts here and the article is based on those. What a cool thing to be able to say you flew from CA to Europe. These are amazing airplanes. Well worth reading the article, making copies (don't tell Paul) and handing them out to friends so they can understand what you really are building is a traveling machine!

Thanks for the story Mark. Thanks to Paul for putting it in THE magazine

Edit. Mark Albery is correct, not what I put in the title. Sorry Mark [Corrected by one of the moderators. ;-) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Rocky

I also enjoyed the story, and have plans to take my plane across the pond one day too. After it's finished of course...

Thanks for the comments.

I felt quite privileged to get the front cover too. But that's really down to Ed Hicks' great photographs.

I've just got another RV-4 to feed my addiction now I'm back in the US.
Already renewed some old acquaintences at Copperstate last weekend.

Pity the Kitplane stall had already given out all their December issues. Guess I'll have to wait until it's on the news stands to get my copy.;)

Pity the Kitplane stall had already given out all their December issues. Guess I'll have to wait until it's on the news stands to get my copy.;)

Don't feel bad Mark - with all of my moving, MY OWN paper copies haven't caught up with me......

RV8

When I was at SNF this year I saw an RV that was on the posters for this years fly-in at Lakeland and had to go over and take a look Im glad I did because I got to meet Mark and wish him luck on his flight and talk about how he was going to get there and how he made his 10 gal smoke tank an extra fuel tank . Great guy and full of adventure .
Bob

Worth adding the obvious too -- Paul taking over as editor resulted in a number of excellent articles, with this one being my favorite example!

(I was building my RV-9 to be a trans-Atlantic flyer before I had to give up the project...)

So even though my flying days are over, my days as a KitPlane subscriber most definitely are not. Hope enough other people feel that way to keep them healthy.

I was about to go sign up for the Kitplanes subscription, and I thought I would take the digital version instead of the paper, simply to save them the cost of printing/mailing the paper version to me. Then I saw that the printed paper edition is $16/year and the digital is $20/year? What the heck?

How about turning your subscription into a donation....too

I was about to go sign up for the Kitplanes subscription, and I thought I would take the digital version instead of the paper, simply to save them the cost of printing/mailing the paper version to me. Then I saw that the printed paper edition is $16/year and the digital is $20/year? What the heck?

Greg,
Apparently the digital-only subscription gives you a different number of issues than the print version. Noting that you get the digital subscription for free with a paper subscription, I have been recommending to U.S. folks that you have them send the paper copy to your local library/school/youth group and you just use the digital copy. Not sure but you might even be able to count the subscription as a charitable donation. Everybody wins!

Greg,
Apparently the digital-only subscription gives you a different number of issues than the print version. Noting that you get the digital subscription for free with a paper subscription, I have been recommending to U.S. folks that you have them send the paper copy to your local library/school/youth group and you just use the digital copy. Not sure but you might even be able to count the subscription as a charitable donation. Everybody wins!

Now that's a good idea...

Back