What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

manual flaps to electric on older RV-6

messr723

I am new to the RV world, I bought an early 90's RV6. Other than learning how to fly left handed I love it, I am not giving in to flying from the right seat though. Surely I am not the only person thats not ambidextrous?
I am considering getting the electric flap kit from vans would like to modify and use my weldament. How extensive is this project, does anyone have a copy of instructions/print that I assume would come with the kit? I have searched the site for more info before I jump into this project but couldn't find it. I did read on one thread that the tip up canopy locking mechanism could be some sort of interference? My email is [email protected] if you have anything that could help me out. Thanks Mark

Left Seat

I can't help you with the plans but I can give you a little information. I have a 6 that was finished in 1997 so I assume the kit is of the same era. I have electric flaps with a tip up, so at least on mine, the tip up is not an issue.

Second, don't let flying from the left scare you that much. It will come to you quite quickly. Just have a qualified person in the right seat while you get comfortable.

PS It is nice to have a signature with your posts so people know who they are talking to even if they don't actually know you.

Good luck, Al

left seat

10-4, My son has a lot more time flying in our ag cat than I do so it is a lot more ingrained in him to fly from the right. Not to mention he is quite a bit the better pilot. Thanks for the feedback on the tipper canopy.

Here are some brief notes from when I converted my RV-6 tipup flaps from manual to electric:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/fuse7.html#flaps

flaps-1.jpg

I prefer the electric flaps.

flaps

Thank you all, this is what I was needing, just looking at the picture of the parts on the Vans site leaves a lot to the imagination. It looks like something I might be able to do. Thanks again Mark

Back