Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
I'm a big fan of Zolatone. It's very durable. My "Apollo Gray" is not "busy" at all. It IS, however, a pain to spray. You have to spray it twice: One to do the background and again to do the splatters.
Any chance you can post or send pictures of your sprayed interior. I'm interested in that color.
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Old 02-19-2020, 07:58 AM

Try Sherwin William's new interior coating: https://industrial.sherwin-williams....e-coating.html. Report back if you use it!
Old 02-19-2020, 12:30 PM

For metal interior pieces I had a lot of them powder coated with hammered finish. Looks great and very durable. I get
Lots of compliments on it. If I had it to do again I would have done a lot more pieces like the tunnel sides and floor boards.
KITPLANES Contributing Editor
Old 01-19-2021, 01:23 PM

Default Zolatone interior on Lancair Legacy

Some of us are considering dumping the upholstered look and going to this Zolatone finish from a newly completed Lancair Legacy. We have some samples being tested on another aircraft. I did not do the work but I believe it was clear coated. I thought this might be a helpful shot. You can see texture in the back.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-19-2021, 02:04 PM

Default Camo paint

This is not textured, but the splatter effect breaks up the surface and looks nice. You see this finish on fishing boat interiors where there's lots of blood and guts on the deck...

Base color here is a light grey, with black and white splatters. Shoot the grey normally, let it dry just a little (10 mins) and then splatter with the spray cup loose and the pressure too low. Hold the gun back and work it on 'til it looks good.

Now the kicker... Rustoleum enamel in the qt can from HD over primer. Been super durable and repairable, qt cans are about $8.

Build on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.pdf
Views:	60
Size:	5.97 MB
ID:	7167  Click image for larger version

Name:	paint1.pdf
Views:	41
Size:	6.54 MB
ID:	7168  

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse complete 6/20 Finish kit Complete 8/20 Electric/Avionics complete 9/20 Waiting on a motor...
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 01-19-2021, 03:39 PM

I did my rudder tops in zolotone then put clear on, not sure if I will clear the rest of the inside. I figured the clear would add some durability to the rudder pedals.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 01-19-2021, 08:07 PM

Sherwin Williams Polane T is designed to be spatter painted. It is a urethane paint. The technique is to apply a normally thinned coat for color coverage, followed immediately by an unthinned coat that spatters. You will need to experiment to get the effect you are after. This is used in commercial airplanes. Google it to get the TDS and MDS sheets.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA