What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust 4 into 1

HawkinSF

Hope to install a 4 into 1 exhaust on our parallel valve IO-360, had planned to get it from Aircraft Exhaust Inc. Now their phones are disconnected and do not respond to email; anyone have any suggestions for where else to get it?

Testing

Has anyone done testing to measure speed improvement from other exhausts to the 4 to 1?
A former Reno racer told me they could not be competitive without it but it was a different situation.

4 into 1 exhaust

Thanks Carl, I just contacted them (Sky Dynamics). Appreciate the help. Vetterman apparantly will build a 4 into 1, but they do not report having a "bolt on" version ready to go. This seems odd...

Hawk

AWI Exhaust

Thanks Dan, I've contacted AWI too. They are $600 less than Sky Dynamics, I wonder what the difference is...

I agree with William, received my 4 in 1 exhaust recently and the AWI workmanship looks great. They have been doing these for a few years and made little improvements here and there along the way.

Vetterman

I found my answer by visiting the Vetterman web site. He tested three different exhausts and found no appreciable difference between 4 to 1, typical crossover and 4 to 4 setup. It actually ran rougher and a tad worse GPH. Good testing on an RV by a knowledgeable guy.
About half way down the page: http://www.vettermanexhaust.com/

Last edited:
I didn't install a 4 into 1 believing there was a power advantage, but rather because the physical layout seemed to offer potential for cooling drag reduction. In fairness, it is not the only layout with potential, but the scheme fitted the -8 very well.

When delivered a few years ago my AWI pipe was a little too deep in the belly, ie too close to the bottom panel of the lower cowl. I think it was early in the game for them. Made measurements and sent it back for minor changes, which were done quickly and cheerfully. Good guys.

4 into 1 exhaust?

What a pity that AWI don't make one for the -4 or have any plans to do so!

Back