What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VantaBlack anyone?

Paint

Anyone seen my airplane? I lost it. Wham! Oh, there it is.
If they make clear, you can paint the airplane and be Wonder Woman.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Honestly, it would be really hard to spray. Black is hard enough to see.
That stuff would be like spraying a hole.

Honestly, it would be really hard to spray. Black is hard enough to see.
That stuff would be like spraying a hole.

It's worse than you probably could imagine. It's extremely fragile and it's apparently super toxic since it uses carbon nanotubes that have to be aligned vertically during spraying and drying.

There is an interesting feud going on between artists that lead to Black 3.0 which can actually be fairly easily applied and is non-toxic.

Blacker than black

Now that’s black

Attachments

• 384FA907-D177-4C7F-A92D-2170CEE21618.png
    384FA907-D177-4C7F-A92D-2170CEE21618.png
    369.3 KB · Views: 174
Flat paint has more aero drag than gloss.

How much draggier than flat paint would your plane be with this paint?

Hmm, how about painting the panel? Certainly would reduce glare!

Now that's a pretty neat idea. I wonder how much impact that would make to heating the panel from sunlight though... Super neat to see I imagine, but... hot to the touch??? Heat up the glass electronics? I know the iPad is a super sissy when it comes to heat.

I had a black car once and decided never again. Looks good when PERFECTLY clean, otherwise not so much. What does Vanta black look like with a few bugs smashed on it??

Now that's a pretty neat idea. I wonder how much impact that would make to heating the panel from sunlight though... Super neat to see I imagine, but... hot to the touch??? Heat up the glass electronics? I know the iPad is a super sissy when it comes to heat.

I think it would heat things up.

It's so black because it's absorbing the energy of the light, and not letting any escape.................

Prop Back

This would be great for the back side of props. No, reflections off the spinning disk.

Mike

Back