What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blowing Tubes

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all, so far I have had two tubes go flat on me with tears. Obviously I've inspected the tires both occasions and everything looks just fine. Which tubes do you recommend for the RV-8 as far as durability goes?

Thank you!
Charles

Hello all, so far I have had two tubes go flat on me with tears. Obviously I've inspected the tires both occasions and everything looks just fine. Which tubes do you recommend for the RV-8 as far as durability goes?

Thank you!
Charles

The Michelin leak-stop tubes are good. Never had one fail. In fact, I've never had any tube fail.

On a related issue, how much air pressure are you putting in your tires? Multiple tube failures could be a symptom of too little pressure.

Agree with Kyle.. I would guess 95% or more of failures are caused by low tire pressure, some are caused by incorrect installation procedures.
I would double check both of those if you want to stop the failures.
(I personally recommend 45 psi with a low limit of 35 psi).

Tube failures

I wrote a book ( at least it seemed like it) a while back on this very issue. Inner tubes will decay in time. I received several new tubes for customers aircraft that were folded,then rolled and shoved in the rim holes. While unpacking them I noticed cracks already forming in the folded areas. I returned all of them for replacement. I reordered and received 4 that were packed the same way. I used three on my 6a and had two fail in less than 6 months! I'm going today to replace another tube after a failure on his 8. I ordered stock tubes from Spruce and requested they not be folded....these looked great and weren't folded like the others were( different vendor) . My advice after 37 years in the business....don't skimp on tubes, if your building an airplane..wait and order your tubes when you're close to being done . Use plenty of tube talc powder when mounting the tires/tubes. Keep tire pressures up as constant flexing of side walls will also weaken and work harden the rubber in the tires and tubes.

Tube failure

Yesterday's inner tube failure revealed another split tube identical to the other failures I've seen. The tube was a Desser leak guard that was installed in June of 2015..... Tube manufacture date was 2/24/2014..... Good thing this failure occurred while the aircraft was on the ground. Time from 40 psi down to 0 took about 10 minutes!

Back